IGNORED

Any thoughts on mid or oversize grips?

Artimas
Note: This thread is 4586 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm 56 and developing arthritis type problems in my hands. I've been thinking about getting those oversized grips.

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with them?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Artimas

I'm 56 and developing arthritis type problems in my hands. I've been thinking about getting those oversized grips.

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with them?

Thanks!

My right hand fingers were really bothering me ... I switched to Lamkin OVersize basketweave grips & it really helped.    I like just having more to hold onto ... feels better

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm playing Winn Lites one size bigger (mid size).  It's a soft grip to begin with and mid size adds some extra cushioning. Going one size up doesn't affect my play.  (Those nubby arthritis grips look painful, anyway my arthritis isn't too bad in the fingers, it's the neck and shoulders that are really messed up.)

Those huge putter grips - the bigger the grip the worse my putting.

When watching TV I practice lightly gripping a club, as light as possible, because my hand now closes like a vice grip. (All or nothing. When it gets stuck closed - that really hurts!)

"Quick Dorthy....the oil can!"

Artimus,

I've played the Golf Pride Tour Velvet and now the Multi-decade in mid-size.  I sweat a lot, so I love the grip the new decades have.  The Winn - lite are OK, but I felt they were too spongy, which is my personal preference..  My advice is to take one club, say a 6 iron, and try a grip to see.  With mid-size, I tend to grip the club with much less pressure.  I do have long fingers, so mid-size is correct for me.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I like them on my wedges, so I see no particular issues with irons. As to driver and woods - don't know. If you have issues squaring up those clubs, it could be an issue. So pick something soft in driver and fairways -- like Winns.

I'd pick something soft in the irons -- Winns or something similar.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I'm a guy with hand issues over the years from injury not arthritis. Here's what my pro's advise.

Grips that are the right size allow your hands to work with less stress. Big is not better unless you are playing grips that are too small.

Soft grips -- line the old style Winn grips -- help reduce stress on hands. New grips are better than worn grips because you need not hold on so tight with new grips.

Graphite shafts help absorb a lot of stress on the hands.

If you play on a rock-hard range, avoid hitting hundreds of balls and make each ball that you do hit count.

For me, I have hand pain when I have something wrong with my grip (the way I hold the club -- not the thing on the end of the club) and when I cast the club early.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

I have arthritis in my hands as well.  I switched to the Lamkin Crossline Oversize (I used the same grips in midsize before the oversize).  I like the feel of the large grip even though I have smaller hands (Men's Cadet Medium).

I have jumbo GP grips on my irons actually and absolutely love them.  I used to have standard size and while they didn't feel bad..for some reason the bigger grips have really helped out my flight and contact.

I don't know if I could do it on the driver and woods but it feels great for irons.

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

• 2 weeks later...

I have Jumbo Lambkin grips and my game is still poor. But they feel great!

My Bag: Nike Vapor X
Driver: Diablo Octane Tour Project 7.0  X-Stiff
Woods: Callaway RAZR 3 wood Adilla NVS 65 g X-Stiff
Hybrids: Taylor Made Burner Superlaunch 3-18*, 4-21*, UST Mamiya Proforce V2 75
Irons: Maltby TE Forged 5-PW TrueTemper X-300
Wedges: Maltby Tricept 52*/6, 56*/10; 60*/6 TrueTemper S-400
Putter: Yes! Emma 37" Belly Putter 
Ball: NXT Tour

If you go on GigaGolf.com they have some very good articles about grip size and a fitting site to tell you what size you need. I have the same issue with arthitis and long fingers and my new clubs have the Lamkin tour midsize. You don't have to grip them real hard to feel in control. Another thing, wash your club grips using Dawn dishwashing liquid and water from time to time, let them dry without wiping and the tackiness will also help.

I may get "run-out" of this forum what what I am about to say. Sadly, it's the truth, so here goes.... I was waiting on my MIDSIZE GRIPS to be put on my brand new Adams A7 set of FITTED irons (.5 inch long,1* upright). So I went golfing with a good friend who let me borrow his Ping G5 mint condition STANDARD length, STANDARD size grips. Every shot went straight, I hit more greens in regulation than normal, and beat my average score (in the 80's) by 3 strokes. Never saw his clubs before that round and I have basketball palming, tenor saxophone playing hands and long fingers. GO FIGURE!

I use lamkin crossline jumbo grips and really like them.  I have large hands and I feel like I'm holding a pencil with standard grips.  I'm hesitant to recommend them for arthritis because they are firm and transmit vibration.  I think a softer midsize or jumbo grip that dampens vibration might be better.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane iMix 11.5*
Fairway: Cobra Baffler Rail F 3W & 7W
Irons:  Wilson Ci
Wedges:  Acer XB (52* & 56*)
Putter:  Cleveland Classic #10 with Winn Jumbo Pistol Grip

I also have arthritis in my hands.  I have been using Winn Excel RF Oversize +1/8” Weather Black grips for a couple of years now and they help a lot.  Also have all graphite shafts to reduce the shock up the shaft.  And I wear a glove on both hands to dampen the vibration to the right hand.

John Hanley
Sugar Land, TX
Driver: Pinemeadow ZR-1 460cc 10.5 degree; senior flex graphite shaft;
6-PW: ProStaff Oversize; graphite (about 13 years old);
Adams Tight Lies fairway woods.

Cleveland CG14 56° sand wedge

Zebra 395gm Mallet putter

Note: This thread is 4586 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!