Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nsatt11

Ping I20's

14 posts in this topic

I am currently looking for a new set of irons and I believe that I have found a winner. Some background info, I have been playing for about 10 years and am a decent player (4.2 handicap, would be lower but have school and work so I can not practice,) but i spin the ball way to much with my irons. I have heard that I20's cut down on spin. What do people think of the I20's with a KBS Tour X flex. Driver swing speed is about 110. And does anyone have some information on what changing the swing weight would do. Someone suggested to me that if i order them at D3, which is a little heavier. If anyone has some input that would be great.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

I love them!  Best iron I have ever played.  At 110 you can up the swing weights on the wedges maybe but I would not do that on the long and mid irons, unless you are used to that.  I ordered mine at D0 with a D2 PW and a D3 gap.  I got the TT Dynamic Gold S300 shafts, which I love.  I am not sure about those shafts you want. I have never tried them.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Not sure I can be of much help, but I like the ones I have.  They were custom fitted with KBS Tour 120 on the 4-U, and 130 on the 54 and 59 wedges.  Swingweights (I didn't concern myself with any of this because I don't really understand it, I'm just getting it from the spec sheet the fitter gave me) are D 6,7 (maybe he meant 6 1/2?) 4 iron through U.  D 7,8 for 54, and D 8,9 for 59.

The point is that I love my clubs! :)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thank you for the info. I like the feel of the irons but the stock cfs shaft does not feel good to me.   Golfingdad i think they might have been talking about something else because D6 and up is ridiculously heavy for irons. I like feeling the club in my hand so i might go with the extra little weight. Thank you both for your input.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Assuming you have pretty decent clubhead speed, I agree you would probably not want their stock shafts.  I have played the S300's for a long time so I just went with that.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

fwiw, I just got a new set with KBS Tour 120, stiff flex last week.  I think if you should consider getting fitted for the right shaft rather than guessing.  I'd also recommend buying them on tgw.com, I probably saved $75 on tax and shipping and got them in less than two weeks.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by dsc123

fwiw, I just got a new set with KBS Tour 120, stiff flex last week.  I think if you should consider getting fitted for the right shaft rather than guessing.  I'd also recommend buying them on tgw.com, I probably saved $75 on tax and shipping and got them in less than two weeks.


How do you like the feel of them? Thank you for the input. I appreciate it.  Did they charge you an upcharge on the shaft?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

True, if he has a decent fitter near by.  I would not trust any of the fitters I know where I live. (GS and GG)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have hit the shafts that are not a huge upcharge. I live by a Golf mart so I have hit the shafts and the kbs performed the best. Spun the least and launched the best. On the machines I was hitting at with almost all other irons my spin with a 7 iron was almost 8000. and that is with a low spinning ball. And right after I started hitting the I20 my spin dropped to around 3500 with a low spin ball. The distance on the machine increased by almost 20 yards also.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by nsatt11

How do you like the feel of them? Thank you for the input. I appreciate it.  Did they charge you an upcharge on the shaft?

Hard to tell so far.  I had one weekend with them, the temps were about 25* and we had 10-20 mph winds.  Plus they're an inch shorter than my old irons so I was having trouble finding the sweet spot (though I think I've got it now).  I like the look and the feel, though.

The shafts were an upcharge of $10 per club, and I added the New Decade MultiCompound Grips for another $12 a club.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by nsatt11

Golfingdad i think they might have been talking about something else because D6 and up is ridiculously heavy for irons. I like feeling the club in my hand so i might go with the extra little weight. Thank you both for your input.

Yeah, like I said, I have no idea. ;)  And my clubs don't feel particularly heavy in my hands at all, so that could very well be wrong.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Irons finally came in! Ecxited to play them, they will finally be out on the course on Saturday.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I too just ordered some I20s. I was able to demo a 7i for a week after my fitting. It was such a big improvement over my old launchers. I'm not a good player yet but I was able to control distance with that club from 175 down to 140 give or take a little. I had so much confidence in that club, I never took my 6, 7 or 8irons out of my bag, played 45 holes with that club in my bag.

I got fitted with project X  5.5 shafts and the ball launches high and straight even if I have to over swing a bit. I started referring to that club as my magic wand.

Can't wait to play with a full set.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by madolive3

I too just ordered some I20s. I was able to demo a 7i for a week after my fitting. It was such a big improvement over my old launchers. I'm not a good player yet but I was able to control distance with that club from 175 down to 140 give or take a little. I had so much confidence in that club, I never took my 6, 7 or 8irons out of my bag, played 45 holes with that club in my bag.

I got fitted with project X  5.5 shafts and the ball launches high and straight even if I have to over swing a bit. I started referring to that club as my magic wand.

Can't wait to play with a full set.


Me too! Mine came in but when I went to get them I had a lot of specs that were different and Ping messed up a little on them so we sent them back. Should be in next week.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0