• Announcements

• iacas

Create a Signature!   02/05/2016

Everyone, go here and edit your signature this week: http://thesandtrap.com/settings/signature/.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
out_in_30

Why no Tour Yellow srixon on tour?

11 posts in this topic

Whats the reason that no Srixon tour staffer plays the tour yellow version of their ball?  I have used them before (ZStar XV) and really enjoyed looking at them both at address and as they fly.

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

A few players did play them several years ago. But they don't mostly because of the stigma, because most players don't play Srixon, and because they have volunteers looking for their golf balls.

Awards and Achievements

Thought Vijay was using them at one time. Wonder if there's any challenge for a player to practice (practice range) with white balls then go out on the course w/ yellow balls.

I tried them out.  Bought some AAAAA used balls and did not like them.  For whatever reason they feel harder than the white ones.  Felt like rocks chipping and putting.  It almost is as if they have a clear cover or something.  I am guessing that the pros are not a big fan of how they fell as well.

Awards and Achievements

I picked up a box of the Z star tour yellows just for rounds where I'm playing solo, as it's harder to pick up on a white ball when you're playing by yourself without someone to watch your shot for you.

As has already been pointed out, the only reason for a yellow ball is for better visibility.  When you have 5000+ sets of eyes watching every shot you hit, it becomes unnecessary for more visible ball.

They seem a little gimmicky. Although if G-Mac started using them (as he is one of the few pros who use Srixon) maybe they'd catch on. Sort of reminds me of the trend a few years ago when Ladies balls became so popular for men that Precept packaged one line as the "Laddie."

Not sure what would be gimmicky about using yellow balls. Not that I've done it yet myself on the course.

Originally Posted by out_in_30

Whats the reason that no Srixon tour staffer plays the tour yellow version of their ball?  I have used them before (ZStar XV) and really enjoyed looking at them both at address and as they fly.

I don't know if this qualifies because it is the Champions Tour, but I saw Peter Jacobsen use Srixon yellow balls last June at the Senior Players Championship.

And, here is a picture of Peter at the 2012 Senior United States Open at Indianwood Golf and Country Club on July 13, 2012 in Lake Orion, Michigan with a yellow ball...

http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/C-2DsXeOrXf/2012+U+S+Senior+Open+Round+Two/m3QyhJpVkH6/Peter+Jacobsen

Unless the yellow would help the pro actually hit the ball better, why bother? Pro tour players get a lot more help tracking wayward shots then we do.

You have a caddie watching your ball, you have tournament officials in the landing area, and you have dozens of fans in the deep rough to help you find the occasional wild shot. Plus, the TV crew likely has a shot of your ball flying through the air.

True for the pro. For me, v. useful when my ball ends up among a bunch of range balls that made it through the fence.

Got some yellow z-stars from Amazon.com...and think that the best part of using them is to bother my golfing partners on Monday. I love just messing with them from time to time.

On the down side, if you enjoy the drama of walking around the dogleg and there's only one ball in the fairway - and you are walking up on it with your foursome to see if it is yours, well, the highly visible yellow will give them more time to dog you along the walk of shame.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0