IGNORED

How do I change a pull draw into a push draw?

Jakester23
Note: This thread is 3943 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Over the last few years I've been working on shaping shots both ways. My natural shot is a fade I'd say a slightly pulled to a straight fade. That being said I'm working on drawing the ball. For some reason my draws almost always are pull draws and I was wondering if there is something that cause the pull. I want to be able to hit a push draw or at least a straight draw when I need it. Thanks, Jake

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Jakester23

Over the last few years I've been working on shaping shots both ways. My natural shot is a fade I'd say a slightly pulled to a straight fade. That being said I'm working on drawing the ball. For some reason my draws almost always are pull draws and I was wondering if there is something that cause the pull. I want to be able to hit a push draw or at least a straight draw when I need it.

Thanks, Jake

Your club face is pointed left of target at impact (if you are right handed). Swing may be out to in, but very well might not. The direction the club face is pointing at impact is far and away the biggest factor in which direction the ball starts.

http://thesandtrap.com/t/56453/ball-flight-laws-and-misinformation

You have to figure out how to go from a slightly closed clubface at impact to a slightly open clubface.  You could maybe accomplish this with a weaker grip.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

You have to figure out how to go from a slightly closed clubface at impact to a slightly open clubface.  You could maybe accomplish this with a weaker grip.

For me, a weaker grip actually makes me close the clubface more.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

[quote name="14ledo81" url="/t/68239/how-do-i-change-a-pull-draw-into-a-push-draw#post_864584"] For me, a weaker grip actually makes me close the clubface more.[/quote]Instead maybe simply consider setting up with the club face slightly open? For all intents and purposes, those are the same things but maybe one will work for you where the other didn't.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by 14ledo81

Yes, I've been meaning to film a video about this. In fact, I'm going to go downtown tomorrow early and will film this video.

Weak grips often result in a clubface pointing MORE left at impact than a strong grip. Weak grips are played by faders, after all, and strong grips by drawers of the golf ball. Good draws start right of the target, and good fades start left. Consider that.

More tk in the video. But that's the gist of it.

OP: try a stronger grip, and swing more to the right. Feel like you're "pushing" the ball with the path of the club (even though we know it's the face that mostly determines start line).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Yes, I've been meaning to film a video about this. In fact, I'm going to go downtown tomorrow early and will film this video. Weak grips often result in a clubface pointing MORE left at impact than a strong grip. Weak grips are played by faders, after all, and strong grips by drawers of the golf ball. Good draws start right of the target, and good fades start left. Consider that. More tk in the video. But that's the gist of it. OP: try a stronger grip, and swing more to the right. Feel like you're "pushing" the ball with the path of the club (even though we know it's the face that mostly determines start line).

I'm currently driving to the maritimes for vacation but this is what I'm going to be working on with whatever spare time the family will allow. I've got a 56 and a 52 in the trunk plus a couple of alignment sticks so I'll basically be working on trying to aim at the stick but push it to the right of the stick with my path (even though in reality it is my face that will be doing the task)

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Yes, I've been meaning to film a video about this. In fact, I'm going to go downtown tomorrow early and will film this video. Weak grips often result in a clubface pointing MORE left at impact than a strong grip. Weak grips are played by faders, after all, and strong grips by drawers of the golf ball. Good draws start right of the target, and good fades start left. Consider that. More tk in the video. But that's the gist of it. OP: try a stronger grip, and swing more to the right. Feel like you're "pushing" the ball with the path of the club (even though we know it's the face that mostly determines start line).

Did you ever make this video? I am very interested in why this happens. I wish I would have figured it out sooner. When I needed to get the face more closed, I would just keep strengthening my grip. It never helped.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

My best advice....don't go over the top and pull it.......LOL

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

My swing thought for hitting a draw is trying to hit a baseball to right field (right handed).  I also change my eye focus to the bottom of the ball, instead of the back of the ball.

In My Bag:

Irons: 2-SW Golfsmith MB Forged S300's & 60 degree Callaway

Putter: 20 year old rusty Cameron no clue what model

Woods: 1 & 3 Cheap Ass Walter Hagen Stiff Grafalloy $30 per club lol

Here you go 14ledo81 , in case you haven't seen it yet.

Did you ever make this video? I am very interested in why this happens. I wish I would have figured it out sooner. When I needed to get the face more closed, I would just keep strengthening my grip. It never helped.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

• Administrator

Yep.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

Yes, I've been meaning to film a video about this. In fact, I'm going to go downtown tomorrow early and will film this video.

Weak grips often result in a clubface pointing MORE left at impact than a strong grip. Weak grips are played by faders, after all, and strong grips by drawers of the golf ball. Good draws start right of the target, and good fades start left. Consider that.

More tk in the video. But that's the gist of it.

OP: try a stronger grip, and swing more to the right. Feel like you're "pushing" the ball with the path of the club (even though we know it's the face that mostly determines start line).

I will be very interested in seeing this video when/if you make it. Previously, I stated that I would pull-draw/pull-hook the ball with a stronger grip. Lately, this did a 360 on me and now I'm pulling it consistently with a weaker grip. I then started assessing my swing after Erik informed me that I am in a small minority who pull the ball with a stronger grip (stronger grip for me typically resulted in a very closed face at impact).

Now, I set up slightly closed at address as if I am aiming to the right side of the fairway. I set up the club face open at address as well with a strong grip and this has been getting me back to my straight draw and push draw and I"ve upped my FIR back where it belongs. Very strange how this flip-flopped on me, but I know it's from either compensating for something else that crept up in my swing, or correcting a previous issue that is now producing "true" results.

Originally Posted by Spyder

I will be very interested in seeing this video when/if you make it. Previously, I stated that I would pull-draw/pull-hook the ball with a stronger grip. Lately, this did a 360 on me and now I'm pulling it consistently with a weaker grip. I then started assessing my swing after Erik informed me that I am in a small minority who pull the ball with a stronger grip (stronger grip for me typically resulted in a very closed face at impact).

Now, I set up slightly closed at address as if I am aiming to the right side of the fairway. I set up the club face open at address as well with a strong grip and this has been getting me back to my straight draw and push draw and I"ve upped my FIR back where it belongs. Very strange how this flip-flopped on me, but I know it's from either compensating for something else that crept up in my swing, or correcting a previous issue that is now producing "true" results.

Look one post above yours for the link and two posts above yours for the embedded. Ya lazy mofo

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

Look one post above yours for the link and two posts above yours for the embedded. Ya lazy mofo

Oh wow, I was having issues with Chrome (which really never happens...). I didn't even see the video embedded or the link.

Thanks Jonesy

for me, when im trying to work a draw, i open my clubface and aim just slightly down the right side.  it almost makes you swing inside to out and makes you turn your wrists through impact.

for a fade, i still leave the clubface slightly open but aim down the left side.  it's all a visual thing.

but if you are hitting a pull draw, you must have the clubface more closed.  just open the face up and try that first.  if that doesn't work, you must be turning your wrists through impact too much.

Originally Posted by cda77

My swing thought for hitting a draw is trying to hit a baseball to right field (right handed).

^^^

This is it for me to get that push-draw.  I set up what looks to be slightly open (there's the push), and then swing to "1st base" (that's the draw - that thought helps a lot with the inside out club path, as does keeping my right elbow in tight to my torso).  My Trackman numbers are working on 1 degree open and 3 degrees club path.  It helps that my club face tends to return to what I set up at address.....even so, for those that don't, setting up a little 'more open' than what one does to hit straight is still a good place to experiment with for that initial line of flight.

If I pull it, it's usually from swinging too hard and I lose my smoothness.  That will snap my face closed and turn the push into a yank.  It's real easy to get that elbow out and away and that'll make the wrists turn over too soon, or even muck up the club path.

I'm finding no real reason to 'lean into it' or attempt to 'hit harder'.  Seems I get best results (straight and longer) with a smooth swing and getting that draw in play.

Bill - 

Note: This thread is 3943 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!