IGNORED

Should i join the high school golf team? (PGA Pros or Instructors please answer)?

Note: This thread is 3888 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The Colorado season for high school golf starts before school even does! This year we had tryouts a little more than a week before school started (first Monday and Tuesday of August) and played in three tournaments before school started the Thursday of the next week. The season tends to go quickly for us, likely because the weather starts to get unpredictable in October, and all tournaments are played before mid-September with state occurring on the last week of September or so.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Tryouts for the my school start a few weeks before school, but we dont have any matches and stuff until the first week.

:wilson: Deep Red - Tour 12.0 Driver 

Pinemeadow - 15 Degree 3W 

Pinemeadow - 23 Degree 4 Hy

:titleist: DCI Oversize + Black - 4-PW

:tarmour: 845s Silver Scot - SW

:dunlop: Tour TP11 - LW

:cleve: Classic Collection HB 10.0 Satin Chrome - Putter

:wilson_staff: Feather SL Black Stand Bag

The Colorado season for high school golf starts before school even does! This year we had tryouts a little more than a week before school started (first Monday and Tuesday of August) and played in three tournaments before school started the Thursday of the next week. The season tends to go quickly for us, likely because the weather starts to get unpredictable in October, and all tournaments are played before mid-September with state occurring on the last week of September or so.

Wow. I lived in Massachusetts (not exactly know for its long-lasting summers and balmy autumns). We started the week before school started, and played just one match before. We didn't have states until very late October or the first few weeks of November though. It did get pretty cold by the end. States in particular started really early in the morning and was generally sub-40ºF temps. My coach told me once that until ~2000ish they played in both spring and fall.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Training for my son starts in January/February and runs to the end of the school year in May. Living in CA has some advantages, I suppose.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I felt terrible for the girls golf team's in Colorado this last year. They only had three competitions total before state because the rest of them were snowed and rained out. Add that to the fact that they came straight from the offseason to their golf season, with only three tuneup tournaments before state and you got a lot of high scores that year.

I felt terrible for the girls golf team's in Colorado this last year. They only had three competitions total before state because the rest of them were snowed and rained out. Add that to the fact that they came straight from the offseason to their golf season, with only three tuneup tournaments before state and you got a lot of high scores that year.

I feel terrible for all the ski teams in So. Cal. :-P

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Originally Posted by Lihu

Training for my son starts in January/February and runs to the end of the school year in May.

Living in CA has some advantages, I suppose.

I wonder why Justins HS starts so late in the school year, his tryouts are not for another month or so (end of Oct?) and last about 6 weeks?

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

Hybrid's Callaway X2Hot 3 and 4.

Vokey Wedges SM5 Tour Chrome, 54*, 58*.

Putter Greyhawk, G25 4 wood, G25 Driver.

I wonder why Justins HS starts so late in the school year, his tryouts are not for another month or so (end of Oct?) and last about 6 weeks?

6 weeks seems a little short? Kaili's school is in the "olympic league", I hope they run the whole season, and at least make their finals. CIF would be a really nice bonus, but maybe not this year?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Originally Posted by Lihu

6 weeks seems a little short? Kaili's school is in the "olympic league", I hope they run the whole season, and at least make their finals.

CIF would be a really nice bonus, but maybe not this year?

Sorry meant tryouts are 6 weeks long, he will go to La Mirada two to three times a week for about 5 weeks after school then at the end around the 6 week they play two or three rounds  in that week to make the team.

Not sure how long the season last, never had anyone in our family in school sports before.

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

Hybrid's Callaway X2Hot 3 and 4.

Vokey Wedges SM5 Tour Chrome, 54*, 58*.

Putter Greyhawk, G25 4 wood, G25 Driver.

So i just started playing golf really about 3-4 months ago. I pick up on stuff rather quickly (hand eye coordination wise.) Ill have some days when my drives completely suck, but im doing well (for my standards with my irons) or days when my irons are just not working for me but the driver is, and vice versa. i havent had any lessons yet (my first lesson will be the day after tryouts) So far i have had about 10 pars and i birdied once, and i have recently been golfing an average of 4 times a week for the past 2 months. ive had some drives that were a lot better than my friend who has been golfing from when he was a little kid (im 16 starting) I have anxiety and crap like that so i dont want to completely suck in front of the team (full of high school jocks i would say) thats the main reason why i am questioning tryouts so much. i dont want these tryouts to take the fun out of golf though, but i dont wanna find out that i could have made the team. Should i wait until next year to try out when i have been golfing for longer) I normally get double bogeys, triple bogeys, bogeys and i have been getting like a par a round recently. Heres a video of my swing [URL=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGUR_kRhGTY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGUR_kRhGTY[/URL]

You should email the coach with your concern an see what he says, it probably depends on how good the team is, my team is very good an after the first day I thought I wasn't going to make it but I ended up doing so. Most coaches will be honest with you. I would recomend seeing a coach before tryouts if possible... Give you something to focus on rather than on what others think... Plus for most people when they see you won't really judge but will just give them more or less confidence about how you are playing!

Sorry meant tryouts are 6 weeks long, he will go to La Mirada two to three times a week for about 5 weeks after school then at the end around the 6 week they play two or three rounds  in that week to make the team.

Not sure how long the season last, never had anyone in our family in school sports before.

Six weeks of tryouts? That seems a bit hefty to me, but it could be a more competitive division or area for golf.

Our season truly does last only six weeks though, since next week is our last week when we started the first week of August.

The tryouts of the Thread starters school probably include practicing with the team for a while. This will be good for him because, if he improves as he says he does, than the coach will see the improvements and inquire on how long he has been playing. I assume this could also be a fun experience because of his desire to play. No matter what he decides he will golf often, the only difference is one he will pay for, and one he will not.

A wise man once said "Better to have loved and lost, than to have never loved at all"!

Sounds cheesy but is so true. Go out for the team and do your best. If it's not good enough then work on your game and try again next year.

I lettered in golf but as a freshman my best buddy who was a fantastic baseball pitcher talked me into trying out for the baseball team. I played one year of little league when I was 7 years old and absolutely sucked at baseball. He kept bugging me and said just try out as an outfielder and you'll make the team easy. Well, I went out and tried really hard but got chopped in the first round of cuts, lol!

I didn't feel bad about it because I know I sucked at it and I was going up against kids that had been playing baseball their entire childhood.

I understand that in high school these decisions can seem like the most important thing in the world but when you get older you'll realize that there are many more important issues. Plus, you don't want to be 50 years old living in your parents basement thinking "man, if I had only went out for the golf team my life would have turned out different"!

• Upvote 1

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

Note: This thread is 3888 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!