IGNORED

Golf League Questions

mattm16
Note: This thread is 3670 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am new to this forum, so if I shouldn't start out with questions, let me know.

I am the secretary for our golf league, and we handicap 100%.  I figure it out based of 35 (front is par 36; back 34).  I take the previous three weeks average, minus 35 and that is their handicap.  A person on the golf league said we should be using 85%, taking their handicap at that point and multiplying by 85%.  He said it should more evenly things out.  I'm not sure I understand how that would work, the giving of strokes should be the same correct?  It shouldn't make a huge difference, or am I missing something?  If anyone runs a league, let me know.

Also, is there any golf league software out there anyone can recommend?

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum!

The thought process around playing off 85% (or even less) handicap is that high handicap players tend to be more erratic in their scoring, and can (and do) have rounds significantly (5-10 strokes) lower than their handicap pretty often.  Their handicap stays high because of the equally high number of absolute blow-up rounds that they post.  Low handicap players tend to be much more consistent and when they do have a standout round, it's seldom more than a couple of strokes better than their handicap.  When you're playing in a group with a mix of players, the odds are much better that one of the higher handicap players will shoot a better round relative to their handicap than a low handicap player.  By only using 85% of handicap, you negate some of that difference by reducing the handicap strokes received of the high handicap player more than that of the lower handicap player.  As an example, playing off of 85% handicap would lower a 25 hcp by 4 strokes, but a 5 hcp by only 1....a net 3 stroke benefit to the more consistent, lower hcp players.  I know it sounds a little contradictory, but the better players need the extra help in that type of league scenario.

Hope that helps a bit.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

David nailed it. It's frustrating for a low-handicap players to consistently get beat by guys who have a 20 handicap but have a great round that day and shoot +13. It seems like it wouldn't happen often, but if you get 5-10 guys with a 20 handicap, one of them is likely to have a good round that day. Meanwhile, the guy that carries a 3 handicap has a great round also and shoots one under, but still can't compete with the high-handicap player... Like David said, the reduced handicap percentage helps balance that out.

But.....

If the league is a competition over lets say 4 or more rounds, this benefit is lost and becomes a benefit for the better players.

So it depends on what format the league plays.

This league is a 16 week league with two 8 week halves.  The max handicap a person can have is 18.  Thank you for your explanation; it makes sense now.

For all secretaries out there, can you tell me what league software you use?

Again, thanks.

This league is a 16 week league with two 8 week halves.  The max handicap a person can have is 18.  Thank you for your explanation; it makes sense now.

For all secretaries out there, can you tell me what league software you use?

Again, thanks.

Then, 85% does not make sense.   It gives NO chance to high handicappers (and max is capped at 18) to come close to win unless one is fast improving.   It it is a two day tournament, yeah, 100% make sense.

BTW, can I assume that handicap is adjusted after each week?

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Yes, handicap will be adjusted weekly.

2 thoughts.

1.  Why limit it to a max of 18?  Playing off 85% will have a significant impact on the really high handicap players already, but a 30 hcp is a 30 hcp.......give 'em 85% of their hcp and let 'em play with everyone else....

2.  Adjust hcp every week, but don't limit it to the last 3 weeks only.  A single score, either high or low will have a huge impact on the hcp.  It really encourages sandbagging for someone who knows that they're already out of it for one week.....  Keep a running hcp and as you get further into the season, the hcp swings will be much less violent week to week.  In the 2d half of the season, you might even consider throwing out the low and high score for each player and calculating hcps based on the remaining scores.

And remember......when, not if, but when someone complains about how you're running the league, just offer to let them do it.  That'll shut 'em up in a hurry!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Hello Matt.

There are several software apps available for setting up a golf league scoring system available.

You can either run them from a PC, Mac, and possibly Android Tablets, phones, etc.

Also, there are many "online scoring" websites which will tailor to your needs, with how the league is setup.

Many of the features are setup for team competition which keep track of standings, scores, the weekly pairings, etc.

Web base apps are very good for the fact that everyone can review stats, standings, handicaps, scores, etc.

I would suggest taking a look at the following.

1. Smart Golf Scorecard - A web base system, You can setup your own league, it has Smartphone Apps for scoring.

2. GoftSoftware.com

3. Golf League Management Software

4. LeagueBoss.com

5. Intelligolf.com

Another option is to use an Excel based program. There are several available or have someone create a spreadsheet to

track your standings, points etc.

Once you determine how to setup your league, (Team, Standings, Individuals results)

then you should post it and members here could help make suggestions of applications which would be best suited.

The initial setup is very time consuming for any league.

Once you have your database built, then entering weekly scores is usually becomes only a brief time factor.

If you elect to create or use an Excel option, I can answer most questions on creating your spreadsheet for your needs.

Good luck with searching for the many various possibilities.

Club Rat

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

The league I was in based handicap on the lowest score posted in the past x weeks *can't remember exactly* so in order to "sandbag" you'd have to shoot bad scores for several weeks straight in order to get the benefit of more handicap.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Thank you again for all of your information/help.  I'll check out the web-based solution; also I'll check out the other software to determine if I should use that or Excel.  What I would love to have done automatically, is when I put in the scores it will calculate the handicap, standings, and average for each hole.  I don't know if it is possible, but I would love it to determine the points for each week based on criteria I specified.  This year I it was two man teams and each team had an A and B player.  The A player played the A, and the B played the B.  Then the points were added up for team results.

Matt, take a look at a "template" created and posted on the www.

http://www.contextures.com/excel-template-golf-scores.html

I used it as a base and made modifications to fit my requirements.

Club Rat

Annual Summary  2012
Club Rat
Low Score 73 Low Net 65 7.2 Index Start of season 4.3 Index Rounds this year
Avg Score 81 Avg Net 74 5.1 Index End of season
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Front 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Back Total
Course Par 4 5 4 3 5 4 4 3 4 36 4 5 3 4 4 3 5 4 4 36 72
Average 4.3 5.5 4.3 3.8 5.3 4.6 4.3 3.6 4.5 40.2 4.6 5.5 3.6 4.6 4.5 3.3 5.7 4.5 4.6 40.9 81.1
<= -3 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Eagles 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Birdies 2 3 5 1 6 0 3 2 4 26 4 3 3 0 0 4 5 5 3 27 53
Pars 22 20 20 17 19 20 22 14 16 170 16 18 16 18 21 20 13 19 14 155 325
Bogeys 12 9 9 10 9 14 11 17 12 103 11 11 10 15 13 11 8 7 16 102 205
Double Bogeys 1 3 2 7 2 2 0 4 4 25 4 4 7 3 3 2 10 4 4 41 66
>= +3 0 2 1 2 1 1 1 0 1 9 2 1 1 1 0 0 1 2 0 8 17
Total 160 203 160 140 195 169 159 134 167 1487 169 204 135 172 167 122 211 165 169 1514 3001
Diff to Par 0.32 0.49 0.32 0.78 0.27 0.57 0.3 0.62 0.51 0.57 0.51 0.65 0.65 0.51 0.3 0.7 0.46 0.57
Rank 6 5 6 1 9 3 8 2 4 4 6 2 3 6 9 1 8 4
Rounds Played 40 Team $390 Won 15 Times Pct. Won 38% Team Game
Entry Fees $800 Gross Skins $254 Won 13 Times
YTD Winnings $840 Net Skins $109 Won 8 Times Gold Tees 0
Net Winnings $40 Low Net $58 Won 2 Times Black Tees 4
CTP $78 Won 2 Times Blue Tees 33
Best Payday $123 Opening Day $35 Blu/Wht Tees 0
YTD Gross Rank 2 One Club $0 White Tees 0
YTD Net Rank 23 Robinson Cup $0 Red/Wht Tees 0
Net Rds Under Par 14

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Welcome to the forum!

The thought process around playing off 85% (or even less) handicap is that high handicap players tend to be more erratic in their scoring, and can (and do) have rounds significantly (5-10 strokes) lower than their handicap pretty often.  Their handicap stays high because of the equally high number of absolute blow-up rounds that they post.  Low handicap players tend to be much more consistent and when they do have a standout round, it's seldom more than a couple of strokes better than their handicap.  When you're playing in a group with a mix of players, the odds are much better that one of the higher handicap players will shoot a better round relative to their handicap than a low handicap player.  By only using 85% of handicap, you negate some of that difference by reducing the handicap strokes received of the high handicap player more than that of the lower handicap player.  As an example, playing off of 85% handicap would lower a 25 hcp by 4 strokes, but a 5 hcp by only 1....a net 3 stroke benefit to the more consistent, lower hcp players.  I know it sounds a little contradictory, but the better players need the extra help in that type of league scenario.

Hope that helps a bit.

Just about to offer the same advice for league play....I would prefer 75%, but at 100% you really are doing the sand baggers a great service. Out of 35 players there is a least 15-18 players with an incorrect  handicap, including a couple of too low handicaps.

Hi all, I also am new to the forum.  I am in charge of setting up a league next spring so I have a lot of time.   I have many questions but the one principally on my mind is how many players to allow on a team.  It seems like two an teams is the most common.  But many allow for 1 or 4.  And just with the discussion above for handicaps, the set-up of a league seems all over the place.  As someone setting one up for the first time, please help!  BTW, I have been advised to set hcp % at 80 percent for the reason spitfisher above just mentioned

• 5 months later...

We use USGA handicapping.  with Equitable Stroke Control.  So scores get adjusted and then used for handicapping.  We use an online website that takes care of all of the complicated scorekeeping/ handicapping.

As for the high versus low handicapper and the 85% rule, it really won't matter over a long period as long as you don't drop any scores.  We play 10 week seasons and only keep the best 5 rounds.  so in our case the Equitable Stroke Control makes it pretty even.

Note: This thread is 3670 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!