IGNORED

Have you seen the Nike Covert 2.0 clubs? Wow!

GlobalGolf
Note: This thread is 3549 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I had an inspiration while driving to work this morning, something to put Tiger back on the map.  For a guy who normally takes less than driver off the tee and still struggles to hit fairways under pressure, I offer the following:

COVERT PERSIMMON

Now hear me out. Tiger seems like the type who doesn't necessarily need a larger sweet spot but could benefit from more consistency in the department of face angle and swing path.  Make him a nice, classically shaped persimmon driver head that is slightly over-sized, maybe by 25% or so.  Implement the covert cavity-back technology into the wooden head and brass sole-plate to reduce weight and improve MOI while moving the CG forward.  Weight is further controlled with a modern lightweight steel/steelfiber shaft and the shorter shaft length he needs anyway.  Finally, set the lie angle upright and get him hitting draws again.

Result is 85% of normal driver distance and many more fairways, plus the added satisfaction and confidence to proceed with striking his irons like we all know he is capable.  I would bet that in the grand scheme of things this would only improve his scores and if he can use it to actually succeed in a major tournament these things would go flying off the shelves for NIKE.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had an inspiration while driving to work this morning, something to put Tiger back on the map.  For a guy who normally takes less than driver off the tee and still struggles to hit fairways under pressure, I offer the following:

COVERT PERSIMMON

Now hear me out. Tiger seems like the type who doesn't necessarily need a larger sweet spot but could benefit from more consistency in the department of face angle and swing path.  Make him a nice, classically shaped persimmon driver head that is slightly over-sized, maybe by 25% or so.  Implement the covert cavity-back technology into the wooden head and brass sole-plate to reduce weight and improve MOI while moving the CG forward.  Weight is further controlled with a modern lightweight steel/steelfiber shaft and the shorter shaft length he needs anyway.  Finally, set the lie angle upright and get him hitting draws again.

Result is 85% of normal driver distance and many more fairways, plus the added satisfaction and confidence to proceed with striking his irons like we all know he is capable.  I would bet that in the grand scheme of things this would only improve his scores and if he can use it to actually succeed in a major tournament these things would go flying off the shelves for NIKE.

I'm not sure where your 85% number came from, but that doesn't sound right. Additionally, steel shafts in hybrids/drivers/woods, in my humble opinion, are not right for anyone - let alone Tiger.

• Administrator

COVERT PERSIMMON

Two facts:

1) Tiger gained strokes - on average - with his driving last year. He was, thus, "a better than average driver."

2) Tour pros stand to gain more by hitting the ball 25 yards farther than 1° more accurately. Distance for accuracy is rarely a good tradeoff unless the increase in accuracy is HUGE.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

To reiterate, Tiger rarely pulls driver off the tee.  Usually 3 iron or 3 wood.  He would gain distance simply by using something that is reliable and consistently longer than a 3 iron.  I guess you're saying he makes the wrong club selection due to a bad tradeoff??  But is statistically above average anyway??  Open your mind, man.

275 vs 310 is about 85%.  With a modern ball that would be achievable.  Jason Day, for example, usually tees off with a steel-shafted 3 iron which I'm sure you think is all wrong for him.  But Aerotech is the steelfiber product I was referring to, quasi-graphite if you will.

• Administrator
To reiterate, Tiger rarely pulls driver off the tee.  Usually 3 iron or 3 wood.  He would gain distance simply by using something that is reliable and consistently longer than a 3 iron.  I guess you're saying he makes the wrong club selection due to a bad tradeoff??  But is statistically above average anyway??  Open your mind, man.

He doesn't do that nearly as often as you seem to think: http://3jack.blogspot.com/2012/03/is-tiger-unafraid-to-use-driver.html

And sstatistically above average, yes. You don't seem to understand what "shots gained" means. It means he hits the ball far enough and accurately enough to make his next shot easier - hence his drives "gain strokes" on the field. The same way making an 8-footer "gains" half a stroke since the average number to complete the hole from there is 1.5.

My mind's open. Tiger also lead the PGA Tour in total driving for much of 2013 as well. That's a combination of accuracy and distance ratings.

275 vs 310 is about 85%.  With a modern ball that would be achievable.  Jason Day, for example, usually tees off with a steel-shafted 3 iron which I'm sure you think is all wrong for him.

Since you didn't quote anyone, I'm not sure to whom you're responding, but I think you have a different definition of "often." :-) I would say that Jason Day rarely tees off with a 3-iron.

P.S. Please quote people. Thanks.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

275 vs 310 is about 85%.  With a modern ball that would be achievable.  Jason Day, for example, usually tees off with a steel-shafted 3 iron which I'm sure you think is all wrong for him.  But Aerotech is the steelfiber product I was referring to, quasi-graphite if you will.

The switch still wouldn't make sense, since he is still above average in driving (by PGA average standards) and would take the distance over the marginal accuracy gain any day. I don't quite get the Jason Day example if you're saying it's a "steel shafted 3 iron". I said a steel shafted Hybrid, Fairway Wood, or Driver would not be a good fit for anyone.

I just did a fitting with my golf pro to see if my 962s needed tweaking.  I hit a few 7 irons with my clubs and he then had me hit a few with the Nike 7.  The Nike 7 was 15 yards further than my mine....consistently.  He measured loft on both...my 7 was 36, the Nike was 31 so I attribute the distance to the loft difference and much lighter shaft than my  DG S300s.  I was impressed with the feel, the look and the distance but I don't know that I could get used to the jacked lofts and having to supplement my wedges with an A wedge to make sure I actually had a pitching wedge.  They also don't make a 2 iron but I guess at 18*, the 3 would be a 2, etc.

I think they're great clubs and will consider either the Covert or the Covert S when my 962s wear out.  It's just a matter of changing the mindset on what number is on your club.

I guess it's standard now unless you buy forged blades but it was shock to me.  I know that over the years, irons have gotten a bit more juiced but when you've been playing a 36* 7 iron for 30 years, it's hard to make that adjustment mentally.  I like knowing that my pitching wedge is a pitching wedge and not a  9 iron.  It would take a lot of learning curve....for me to adjust to that while playing.  Grabbing a 44* pitching wedge because you're thinking out of habit, that you've got a 49* would be disastrous.  I'm not sure why manufacturers have changed the configuration. Then again, I don't see why they've stopped making 2 irons.

I guess it's standard now unless you buy forged blades but it was shock to me.  I know that over the years, irons have gotten a bit more juiced but when you've been playing a 36* 7 iron for 30 years, it's hard to make that adjustment mentally.  I like knowing that my pitching wedge is a pitching wedge and not a  9 iron.  It would take a lot of learning curve....for me to adjust to that while playing.  Grabbing a 44* pitching wedge because you're thinking out of habit, that you've got a 49* would be disastrous.  I'm not sure why manufacturers have changed the configuration. Then again, I don't see why they've stopped making 2 irons.

They didn't. They're called 3 irons now.

Colin P.

Don't look at what is written on the clubs, look at the results. Better golfers can easily get 3 or 4 shots and distances out of each club. Most clubs today, (with the exception of a players club) irons are all in that 30.5- 36.0 degree, combine with the greater distances achieved with these clubs, one also has to consider two other features. Additional length of 1/4-1/2 inch and a much lighter weight steel or graphite shaft ( and lighter weight grips) all contribute to extra distances. I used to play with a 4 hybrid steel shaft and absolutely loved the distance feel but more so of the accuracy. It just never seem to waver at all from my target line. Since then I have moved to a tour shaft of the same manufacturer, yeah I can hop on it get much more distance 25 yards further, but it does seem to contribute to 3-4 yards one way or the other, so the dispersion is greater. But nothing so bad where its a real problem. But I do like that steel shaft! at times I thought it was my most accurate club in my bag.

I don't usually get riled up ... but I'm a Nike fanboi - I've got a Nike bag, nike driver, nike 3 wood and nike hybrid.    I can not stand their cavity backed woods - I've never seen such a total gimick - shocked they carried that concept over for a 2nd year.    Should have just stopped the bleeding and chocked it up to failed marketing concept.     To go that far outside the norm of what a golfer expects to see in his bag has to offput a huge amount of traditionally minded golfers.   Red was bad enough, the cavity backed woods are REDICULOUS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, 10 years ago you weren’t sporting Burrows Golf MAC Powersphere woods? :-X
By the way, I recall when Burrows Golf went bankrupt, there was talk of Nike buying some of their patents. I wonder if that’s how they got into the Covert cavity technology.

Driver: Ping K15 10°, Mitsubishi Diamana Blueboard 63g Stiff
Fairway 4-wood: TaylorMade RocketBallz Tour TP 17.5°, Matrix Ozik TP7HD S shaft

Hybrids: Callaway Diablo Edge 3H-4H, Aldila DVS Stiff
Irons: MIURA PP-9003, Dynamic Gold Superlite S300, Sand Wedge: Scratch 8620 56°
Putter: Nike Method Concept Belly 44"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B330-S

• 1 month later...
I just picked up a 2.0 tour yesterday. I took it out to the range today. I hit 85 balls with it. The worst shot not counting the topped shot was a 30 yard fade. The club is forgiving and long. For me it produced a low penitrating flight which I love. I wasn't even in the market for a driver but the Nike rep gave me some balls to hit it. I had no problem trading in my brand new Mizuno JPX EZ and putting this monster into play. I thought the red and the swoosh would be distracting but in the sun light that thing is sexy!!! I have ever owned a Nike wood but this one is a winner..

• 1 month later...
I had a fitting with the 2.0 irons and when I first started to hit the stock club I was wondering what all the fuss was? It was just rubbish! But then the guy screwed on a head that was 2 degrees upright and oh my god! It was a completely different club! It was just awesome. Shots were straight as a die AND long! So much longer than my current set of bats! To say I was impressed was an understatement! A few days later I tried the Cobra bio cell clubs and they were ok, nothing I'd write home about and on Sunday I'll give the Titleist AP1 712 a test drive but as it stands the Nike bats are out in front at the moment. Regards Mailman

Mailman

• 1 month later...

Hey question for anyone who has hit the original covert tour and the regular covert 2.0. how much difference is there between them?

I figured the 2.0s being a year newer, might be close to technology.

I'm looking for a low spin driver, and I'm thinking I'm going to go with one of the covert series.

NIke VRS covert

Mini driver 14 degree

Nike covert 5 wood

taylormade sldr 4 hybrid

Taylormade Rocketballz Irons:  6-aw

Taylormade atv  56,60,64

Jpl Putter

Nxt tour s yellow

• 2 weeks later...

I use the Nike VRS x Irons and the Covert 1.0 driver, 3 wood, 3hybrid (tour version), And 4hybrid (tour version). I though about buying the 2.0 driver and demoed it at dicks. I saw no difference in contact or distance so i didnt buy it. I just got my hybrids but im super excited to hit them I actually purchased them from @GlobalGolf they are the first place i look before buying any clubs.

Note: This thread is 3549 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!