IGNORED

Homophobic = most likely discreetly gay?

bp87
Note: This thread is 3093 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I used to be friends with 2 conservative guys in college who claimed to be heterosexual and into girls. Both have liked to play golf.

I remember few years ago, before gay marriage became legal nationwide, when Iowa approved gay marriage, a guy from Cedar Rapids, IA was “pissed off” and said they will most likely overturn it.

I do not remember him being ever religious despite claiming to be Lutheran.

His friend who was similar to him except being Catholic, was even more homophobic and using F word. But at few times he flirted with me, brushed onto my upper legs and made jokes about having sex with him.

When I came out to them I am gay, they quickly distanced themselves. They appeared sometimes to talk about “hot chicks” but they spent more time doing time for their fraternity and they even lived together just themselves off campus for 1 year in 2 bedroom apartment.

Then later I found their profiles on match.com. Looking for women which kinda put doubt in my theory. But there is something strange I haven’t seen in other straight folks’ profiles. They appear more often in group, with their friends or families than themselves.

Also their profile description sounds almost like something I would read on Linkedin or meetup rather than a dating website. Looks to me almost as if they are looking for arranged heterosexual marriages but not really into opposite sex.

Might explain why they dumped me, because they felt I was a “threat” to their identity or relationship.

Whats your thought?

• Administrator
I think that it sounds like you know who you are but if I were you I'd stop short of trying to figure out other people. Let them live their lives. This is a great place to talk about golf.
  • Upvote 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think that it sounds like you know who you are but if I were you I'd stop short of trying to figure out other people. Let them live their lives. This is a great place to talk about golf.

Exactly

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Well it does not have to be dwelled into a long detailed discussion. I posted because I thought it would a fun topic to discuss with people who are into golf and who may have a similar background and upbringing from childhood to these guys I had known. I may be biased, but if somebody plays golf for sport he is more likely conservative than liberal :)

To keep it short: I think they are discreetly gay and they oppose it to represss their internal urges. Look at Ted Haggard or Larry Craig. They were both hypocrites and caught in gay sex scandal. Or maybe they are just bigots.

Ha ha. Tool.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I may be biased, but if somebody plays golf for sport he is more likely conservative than liberal :)

You said it yourself.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

@bp87 "Might explain why they dumped me, because they felt I was a “threat” to their identity or relationship. Whats your thought?" Sounds like Craig's List post post than a The Sand Trap. How is your golf game?

You said it yourself.

Well certainly the only people I knew in my life who played golf were those who have lived outside Chicago suburbs, in small towns with large outdoor spaces. They liked to wear Ralph Polo clothes. They styled their hair like casts from the show "The Mad Men". They also liked to watch horse race by going to events far out of state like Kentucky Derby. In discussion about politics, they always bashed Democrats and even one of them who said "I would never vote Democrat" even though he admitted " I am biased Republican". It just did not make sense what be believed in and said.

@bp87

"Might explain why they dumped me, because they felt I was a “threat” to their identity or relationship.

Whats your thought?"

Sounds like Craig's List post post than a The Sand Trap. How is your golf game?

Last time I played golf, actually learned to play golf was when I was taking a college elective course. It was fun. It was mostly driving range but still fun. I played on one like this:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/diversey-driving-range-chicago

Ok, I understand better, kind of like pee wee golf.

Well Lincoln Park Driving Range had not only miniature golf but actual a big shooting range to practice clubbing.

• 3 months later...
On 29/7/2015 3:40:52, bp87 said:

I used to be friends with 2 conservative guys in college who claimed to be heterosexual and into girls. Both have liked to play golf.

I remember few years ago, before gay marriage became legal nationwide, when Iowa approved gay marriage, a guy from Cedar Rapids, IA was “pissed off” and said they will most likely overturn it.

I do not remember him being ever religious despite claiming to be Lutheran.

His friend who was similar to him except being Catholic, was even more homophobic and using F word. But at few times he flirted with me, brushed onto my upper legs and made jokes about having sex with him.

When I came out to them I am gay, they quickly distanced themselves. They appeared sometimes to talk about “hot chicks” but they spent more time doing time for their fraternity and they even lived together just themselves off campus for 1 year in 2 bedroom apartment.

Then later I found their profiles on match.com. Looking for women which kinda put doubt in my theory. But there is something strange I haven’t seen in other straight folks’ profiles. They appear more often in group, with their friends or families than themselves.

Also their profile description sounds almost like something I would read on Linkedin or meetup rather than a dating website. Looks to me almost as if they are looking for arranged heterosexual marriages but not really into opposite sex.

Might explain why they dumped me, because they felt I was a “threat” to their identity or relationship.

Whats your thought?

I reckon you have a PhD subject right there!  It's all too complicated.  Honestly some people used to think my friend was gay, even though he got married and used to tell me of women he liked, including myself which was awkward.  I never thought he was gay as such and have no idea why people come to such conclusions unless it's completely obvious.  More importantly, I have found some of the biggest droppers of the F... word tend to be Catholic. It never ceases to amaze me that some choose to behave on only one day of the week, a Sunday.  I guess they aren't perfect, just forgiven...

22 minutes ago, Return2Golf said:

I reckon you have a PhD subject right there!  It's all too complicated.  Honestly some people used to think my friend was gay, even though he got married and used to tell me of women he liked, including myself which was awkward.  I never thought he was gay as such and have no idea why people come to such conclusions unless it's completely obvious.  More importantly, I have found some of the biggest droppers of the F... word tend to be Catholic. It never ceases to amaze me that some choose to behave on only one day of the week, a Sunday.  I guess they aren't perfect, just forgiven...

I've seen religious people forget "love thy neighbor" in the church parking lot no more than 5 minutes after service let out. Get behind the wheel and get crazy

• Upvote 1

Oh dear!  Maybe they think they are living on borrowed time and can only behave for one hour per week.  I just attended a funeral and some woman decided to go out into the open doorway and talk at the top of her voice on her mobile phone for about five minutes before she was ushered away.  She piped up with her attention-seeking banter the minute the minister was starting his main sermon.  I just turned to an older lady next to me and said, 'Can you believe it'?  We were all mortified.

On 7/28/2015, 11:40:52, bp87 said:

Whats your thought?

My thought is that this is a very strange way to introduce yourself to a golf board.

And that you stereotype and generalize about people far more than most of the "homophobic" people I know.  

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Perhaps like the other thread which asked if we would play with a homosexual golfer this one should be locked as well no reason for it to exist really.  If OP wants to discuss or ponder the sexual preferences of some of his/her golf associates perhaps he should ask one or both of them instead of a golf forum.  If he is in the Lincoln Park Chicago area he can always take the red line down a few stops to Boystown and take a poll there (no pun intended). 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, colin007 said:

dont know why but this thread smells a little funny.

I would move your nose a few feet back from the screen, that might be the cause of the smell.
I dont think the thread has the capability of smelling funny, but if you want to call it a dumpsterfire, I am with you!

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

Note: This thread is 3093 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!