or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › HELP Fake Titelist AP2s???
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HELP Fake Titelist AP2s???

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 

I bought these off ebay recently and now feel pretty dumb. I think these are a fake set of AP2s based on the size of the 9 and 7 on the clubs and the (AP2) logo looks a little off. If anyone has knowledge about counterfeit AP2s and can help confirm it would be awesome! thanks

 

 

Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, R1.1.1.M2a

 

Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, R1.1.1.M2a

 

Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, R1.1.1.M2a

 

Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, R1.1.1.||B2||T0JKX0lEPTRmNjc4MmQ3YTI1YTAzMWQwNGY2Y2RmYjE1YWE3MDA1MTY1NzFhZThhZGEyfHxTRUxMRVJfTkFNRT13b3JtXzMzfHxPUklHSU5BTF9FQkFZX1FVQUxJVFlfU0NPUkU9NHx8Q1JFQVRJT05fREFURT00LzEwLzEzIDc6NDMgUE0=

 

Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, R1.1.1.||B2||T0JKX0lEPTRmNjc4MmQ3YTI1YTAzMjEwNGY2Y2U2MzBkOGY3OTA1MTY1NzFjMTI1N2U0fHxTRUxMRVJfTkFNRT13b3JtXzMzfHxPUklHSU5BTF9FQkFZX1FVQUxJVFlfU0NPUkU9NHx8Q1JFQVRJT05fREFURT00LzEwLzEzIDc6NDMgUE0=

 

Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, R1.1.1.||B2||T0JKX0lEPTRmNjc4MmQ3YTE1YTAzMjgwNGY2Y2VjNzFlMTBmNDA1MTY1NzEyMjM1ZDYyfHxTRUxMRVJfTkFNRT13b3JtXzMzfHxPUklHSU5BTF9FQkFZX1FVQUxJVFlfU0NPUkU9NHx8Q1JFQVRJT05fREFURT00LzEwLzEzIDc6MjQgQU0=

post #2 of 21

I want to ask you why you care? I know you feel slighted, I would too, but dont they appear to be the same? I mean its not like they are hollow or something. Can you tell they are fake? I'm thinking about buying fakes intentional, so I want to know how close they are to the real thing. It sounds like to me you cant even tell the difference, which means thats a good fake.

post #3 of 21

Easy solution.  Call Titleist and confirm the serial number.  Done.

post #4 of 21

After a buddy of mine got burned on some AP1's I refuse to buy off ebay(new clubs at least). Call Titleist and check serial #.

post #5 of 21

Is the seller reputable? Lot's of positive feedback and many transactions selling golf equipment etc. If so probably not fake. After looking at AP2 images on google your numbers don't look any different than what I saw. That and I have a few sets of "identical" iron set with numbers on the sole that vary in size. It's older stuff from Macgregor but different from one set to another and definitely not fake.

 

Not sure validating serial numbers is fool proof anymore. Can't say I've ever seen fake clubs but I have seen and owned fake guitars. The guitar counterfeiters use actual serial numbers. Easy enough to grab serial numbers off the net.

post #6 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayHbg View Post

Easy solution.  Call Titleist and confirm the serial number.  Done.

 

Yep

post #7 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodaytrader View Post

I want to ask you why you care? I know you feel slighted, I would too, but dont they appear to be the same? I mean its not like they are hollow or something. Can you tell they are fake? I'm thinking about buying fakes intentional, so I want to know how close they are to the real thing. It sounds like to me you cant even tell the difference, which means thats a good fake.

Absolutely ridiculous. To buy fakes intentionally is down right stupid. Why would intentionally pay for something that is not legit. The people who made the fakes STOLE from Titleist or whatever company it is that they are ripping off and you are going to turn around and give them money for that? Seriously? On top of that, fakes are made with lesser quality materials and the quality is no where near the same. If you want Titleist clubs, then buy the real thing; if you can't afford new ones get used, but to buy fakes because they look like the real thing is stupid.

post #8 of 21

If you are looking for new clubs, but don't want to spend the money on real clubs.  Consider Component clubs.  Companies like Hireko, gigagolf and golf works all make good products and they are not fakes.

post #9 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midway View Post

After a buddy of mine got burned on some AP1's I refuse to buy off ebay(new clubs at least). Call Titleist and check serial #.
If price seems too good to be true it is. Everyone likes a deal but tough to get a steal on new clubs. Lots of fakes. Attended counterfeiting conference last year and talked with security people from Ping, TM and Acushnet. The volume of fakes is out of control sadly. Not just golf clubs btw.
post #10 of 21

International fake "brand name" clubs are garbage.  A few years ago when on a trip to China I purchased a set of the latest expensive Calloway clubs out that year.  I figured if real, purchased in the US they would have retailed for about $2000.  The clubs looked great.  They performed like garbage.  They had a dead feel with less yardage, no pop.  Haha...oh yeah, and I bought a fake two-ball Odeyssey white hot putter that was just as pathetic.  It hit the ball so dead that anyone that putted with it would come up 5 feet short on 20 ft putts.  Entertaining to see people's faces when using the clubs though.
 

post #11 of 21

bkluza, did you call Titleist?  Curious to see if they're fakes, they look legit to me but I haven't had much experience with these irons.

post #12 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockme View Post

International fake "brand name" clubs are garbage.  A few years ago when on a trip to China I purchased a set of the latest expensive Calloway clubs out that year. 
 

 

If they were branded Calloway, that should have been a dead giveaway that they were fakes.

post #13 of 21

Here are pics of my ap2s. these were taken with my phone

 

 

 

post #14 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristanhilton85 View Post

Absolutely ridiculous. To buy fakes intentionally is down right stupid. Why would intentionally pay for something that is not legit. On top of that, fakes are made with lesser quality materials

Kinda harsh. I'll reply without trying to insult you in turn.

Why would someone want a fake?

1) cheaper - no endorsement deals, marketing, CEO golden parachutes

2) just about everything in America, clubs included are made in China. Most of the time your ok with this unless the Chineese attempt to pass it off as their own then in which case we consider it junk

3) metal is metal right? A chunk of metal milled to look like a golf head surely behaves the same as similar items. Why would someone go through the trouble of making a replica and then leave it hollow?

4) most replicas I've heard of come from the same factories that design the components for name brand products. For instance, I'd have no problems letting Foxconn build for me a iPhone knockoff since I know they built Apple's.
post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodaytrader View Post

Kinda harsh. I'll reply without trying to insult you in turn.

Why would someone want a fake?

1) cheaper - no endorsement deals, marketing, CEO golden parachutes

2) just about everything in America, clubs included are made in China. Most of the time your ok with this unless the Chineese attempt to pass it off as their own then in which case we consider it junk

3) metal is metal right? A chunk of metal milled to look like a golf head surely behaves the same as similar items. Why would someone go through the trouble of making a replica and then leave it hollow?

4) most replicas I've heard of come from the same factories that design the components for name brand products. For instance, I'd have no problems letting Foxconn build for me a iPhone knockoff since I know they built Apple's.

I assume by your user name, that you're very tech oriented. Do you use pirated software if you can find it? Do you actively search it out?
post #16 of 21
Ewwww .... What kinda of question is that???? I sense a trap of sorts. Is this a question of morality? If so I fail. Hold me accountable in the afterlife but counterfeit software works the same as DMCA software only without DMCA. Don't judge me though. I already know all the arguements. As I get older I try harder to play by the rules, I can't say that's always been my crede though. How's that for an answer without culpability?
post #17 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodaytrader View Post


Kinda harsh. I'll reply without trying to insult you in turn.

Why would someone want a fake?

1) cheaper - no endorsement deals, marketing, CEO golden parachutes

2) just about everything in America, clubs included are made in China. Most of the time your ok with this unless the Chineese attempt to pass it off as their own then in which case we consider it junk

3) metal is metal right? A chunk of metal milled to look like a golf head surely behaves the same as similar items. Why would someone go through the trouble of making a replica and then leave it hollow?

4) most replicas I've heard of come from the same factories that design the components for name brand products. For instance, I'd have no problems letting Foxconn build for me a iPhone knockoff since I know they built Apple's.

You're making a lot of assumptions here;

  1. Cheaper - no endorsement deals, no quality control, no brand building, no need to stand behind their product
  2. Most things are made in China but they are forced to adhere to American quality standards.  Do you have any idea how many items get shipped back to China because of quality control issues?  Never read those stories where kids toys contained high quantities of lead?  At best your getting rejects at worse the product only looks like the club you're buying but have completely different materials.
  3. Metal is not metal, there are different types of metals, different casting processes, that will result in different head weights from the originals.  There's a reason clones are more likely to break shafts etc than originals. 
  4. Some replicas come from same factory, doesn't mean they use the same materials for shafts, heads, etc.  Why would you want to support a underground industry that is driving up the cost of the real products? 
post #18 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodaytrader View Post

Ewwww .... What kinda of question is that???? I sense a trap of sorts. Is this a question of morality? If so I fail. Hold me accountable in the afterlife but counterfeit software works the same as DMCA software only without DMCA. Don't judge me though. I already know all the arguements. As I get older I try harder to play by the rules, I can't say that's always been my crede though. How's that for an answer without culpability?

Asked and answered. What we have is an issue of personal character and integrity. No one is going to change that.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › HELP Fake Titelist AP2s???