or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Old blades for a "New" Golfer
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Old blades for a "New" Golfer

post #1 of 55
Thread Starter 
I just pick up a set of Golden Ram tour grind vibration matched Irons. They are in great shape. I really like these clubs. The set is 2-pw. The question is will these help me with my ball striking? I dont want to go play a round with them yet, but i would like to know what to expect and if anyone has had a set of these clubs? How will these compare to newer clubs? Thanks
post #2 of 55
The thing they will do for you is give you great feedback. A bad shot, feels really bad. A good one feels really sweet.

The way I think of it is that every golf neebie 20 years ago used blades.

I really appreciate my modern clubs more after hitting with blades or really old clubs.
post #3 of 55
Thread Starter 
Its nutz because I can hit them but that elusive great feeling has yet to come. I am going to get them fitted next week and go from there. I can feel myself getting sucked in and my handicap going up just sitting here. But strange enough I'm ok with that. One thing, I have a hell of a lot more respect for the pros of yesteryear.
post #4 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriHack View Post

I just pick up a set of Golden Ram tour grind vibration matched Irons. They are in great shape. I really like these clubs. The set is 2-pw. The question is will these help me with my ball striking? I dont want to go play a round with them yet, but i would like to know what to expect and if anyone has had a set of these clubs? How will these compare to newer clubs? Thanks

 

They will kick your butt and you will score much worse than you would with a set of modern cavity back irons.

 

And no, getting them "fitted" won't help.

post #5 of 55
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post

They will kick your butt and you will score much worse than you would with a set of modern cavity back irons.

And no, getting them "fitted" won't help.

Have you have a set of these clubs before?
post #6 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post

They will kick your butt and you will score much worse than you would with a set of modern cavity back irons.

And no, getting them "fitted" won't help.

For you, maybe. For me, it does not make a huge difference. That's the great thing about being a bogie golfer.
post #7 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriHack View Post

Have you have a set of these clubs before?

Yes, I've played blades before. They have a very small sweet spot and a relatively high CoG that a less skilled golfer will struggle with. Your distance and consistency will suffer. Cavity back game-improvement irons do just that.....they improve your game.

But if you don't want to hear that they're not right for you, and that you don't have the ball-striking skills necessary to play them, knock yourself out and have fun. a1_smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post

For you, maybe. For me, it does not make a huge difference. That's the great thing about being a bogie golfer.

Maybe, just maybe, if you played a set of irons more suited to your game, you wouldn't be a bogey golfer.....

......just sayin'. a2_wink.gif
post #8 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post

Maybe, just maybe, if you played a set of irons more suited to your game, you wouldn't be a bogey golfer.....

......just sayin'. a2_wink.gif

I'll give it a try this weekend with my newer and improved swing. a1_smile.gifa1_smile.gifa1_smile.gif
post #9 of 55

If those are the best clubs you could afford, then go out there and try to get in what practice you can.  As has been said, everyone used to play blades.  I had a set of blades handed to me as a kid.  On the other hand, I might have kept with the game if I had the more modern clubs available today at that time.  Or, if it just makes you happy to play old clubs and see how well you can do, more power to you!

 

But if you can afford modern game improvement clubs (even a few year old set off EBay) and would like to shoot better scores, and in the process get to be a better golfer, ditch the antiques and go shopping.  Yes, blades will tell you for sure when you haven't hit the ball well.  Sadly, that's likely to be about all you hear...  You CAN tell when you hit GI clubs off center, I can assure you of this as the owner of Ping G20s.  The difference is that, though you know you didn't flush it, the ball may (may) land on the green anyway.  It will almost certainly go farther and straighter than a blade would have with a similar strike.

 

Golf is a hard game.  Hard enough that you don't need to introduce more difficulty than need by with your choice of clubs.  But that's just one opinion.  At any rate, good luck!

post #10 of 55
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post

Yes, I've played blades before. They have a very small sweet spot and a relatively high CoG that a less skilled golfer will struggle with. Your distance and consistency will suffer. Cavity back game-improvement irons do just that.....they improve your game.

But if you don't want to hear that they're not right for you, and that you don't have the ball-striking skills necessary to play them, knock yourself out and have fun. a1_smile.gif
Maybe, just maybe, if you played a set of irons more suited to your game, you wouldn't be a bogey golfer.....

......just sayin'. a2_wink.gif

All completely well thought out and valid points. But I would rather not hide my swing faults with equipment. I think in the long run my game will be better off. At the end of the day the most important thing to concentrate on is the having fun. a3_biggrin.gif
post #11 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriHack View Post

All completely well thought out and valid points. But I would rather not hide my swing faults with equipment. I think in the long run my game will be better off. At the end of the day the most important thing to concentrate on is the having fun. a3_biggrin.gif

Having fun is all that matters. Hitting a blade well just one or two times a round might be just as satisfying as a low score.
post #12 of 55
This is a interesting thread. I bought a old set of Wilson staff blades recently and I'm going to take em out after my outing this weekend. Ill put my score on this thread after I go out with the oldies.
post #13 of 55

Judging by what you have said about your game, the clubs would not be for you. Unless you rarely flip your swing, effective in achieving lag in your swing or fairly consistent, these will be erratic and uncomfortable to play. I just started playing MP33s this year and anytime I miss the sweet spot or slightly off you feel it and know it from the loss of distance. I however have hit plenty of sweet feeling shots with these irons. There is no comparison on how good a good shot feels compared to CBs and there is no comparison how bad, poor shots feel either. It takes time to get used to new irons but if your mechanics are suspect, you scores will suffer.

 

But then again, do whatever makes you happy. I thought I was a little crazy for gaming blades but if you are athletic and have good feel for your swing and really want to improve.... maybe you will be fine. Just don't bs yourself on how much effort you are going to put into your swing.

post #14 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakester23 View Post

This is a interesting thread. I bought a old set of Wilson staff blades recently and I'm going to take em out after my outing this weekend. Ill put my score on this thread after I go out with the oldies.

That's a great idea.

I'll do the same. Post one game with oldies and one game with my new clubs.
post #15 of 55
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post

That's a great idea.

I'll do the same. Post one game with oldies and one game with my new clubs.


That sounds like a plan. I told my golfing buddy that I got them and now he wants me to play with them this sunday. I usually beat him like a step child so i think he is looking for some pay back. Lucky for me they have what I think are the original grips. So thats my out. But if you guys are up for it I'll get them out in the next couple of weeks.
post #16 of 55
Thread Starter 
Went too the driving range last night and was really happy with how the cubs hit. So there going in the bag for the round this weekend. Wish me luck!b1_ohmy.gif
post #17 of 55

I'm with David in FL  it will make playing unnecessarily difficult. There is no feedback to be gained because you are so inconsistent you aren't doing anything the same twice without luck and even then you won't be able to determine what that is. You may even develop bad habits just trying to get distance out of them. Not to mention the horrendous and frequent clank will draw attention to you. Not the kind of feedback you want. All I need to do is drag out my old MacGregors to be reminded how hard golf is. I'll take all the help I can get.

post #18 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriHack View Post

Went too the driving range last night and was really happy with how the cubs hit. So there going in the bag for the round this weekend. Wish me luck!b1_ohmy.gif

Good luck!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Old blades for a "New" Golfer