Jump to content
  • entries
    31
  • comments
    300
  • views
    17,211

Loooong Day & Florida Golf


CarlSpackler

2,934 views

Yesterday was an excruciatingly long day on the golf course. It took nearly an hour to play the first 3 holes. My tee time was 12:18 PM. I looked at the clock as I left the course and noticed it was 6:17. O...M...G! To make matters worse, 2 women cut in front of the 3-some of men ahead of us on #10. I had enough and walked to the clubhouse and asked the guy where the starter was. He pointed to himself. When I told about the butt-in, he replied that he couldn't do anything because he was the only one in the clubhouse. Apparently he got the cart boy to drive out and tell them they had to go back to the first tee. They gave me a dirty look as they drove past us back to #1. I returned the dirty look and hoped that they would say something. Unfortunately they didn't. The cart boy came over and apologize. I told him that after it taking 3 hours to play the front with the entire course backed up, that was uncalled for. He responded that we were "only" 30 min. behind a typical round of 5 hours. I said, "If that's your typical round here, I certainly will not be coming back."

I am quickly coming to the conclusion that most public courses in Florida are pieces of sh**. So far, Eagle Creek, which I played with a bunch of TST members in December, is the best. It's further than I want to drive on a regular basis though. I have others to try, but I am less than impressed so far.

17 Comments


Recommended Comments

I've given up playing golf on weekends. 

Someone needs to invent some method of timing people, without penalizing people who are being held up by other people. 

Maybe some sort of GPS unit in each golf cart, with a transmitter and a receiver, and a central control station in the pro shop, so if a group falls far enough behind the group in front of them, they get an automatic credit card charge.   All you'd need is a central unit in the pro shop that automatically flags a group when it falls far enough behind the group in front of them, then flashes a warning in the golf cart, and if they don't catch up, an automatic assessment. 

Well, it's just an idea.  Maybe some inventor will get to work on this.   I know the technology already exists.  If we can have driverless cars, certainly we can have golf carts that force you to keep up with the group in front, or assess a monetary penalty.   I know the technology exists for the head pro or whoever to have a map of the course that shows where each group is.  Then have a receiver on the golf carts, and send the warning.  "Catch up or you will have the choice of a $25 credit card charge, or a refund of all your fees if you leave the course immediately." 

Marshals and course rangers don't like to confront people.  It's unpleasant.   Blame it on the computer.   "Hey, the computer says you're behind, it assesses you.  I can't do anything about it." 

 

Edited by Marty2019
Link to comment

Interesting.  Sunday we teed off at around 12:30.  Our group of 4 walked 18 in a decent time and never waited on anyone.  Of course, we were slowed up a bit when our balls would bury in a patch of remaining snow.  Hard to find those suckers even if orange or yellow.  WeatherUnderground says we got up to 39 degrees (f) but it felt a lot nicer.

6 hours in the sun & warmth doesn't sound too bad right now but a steady diet of that would turn me off.

Link to comment

Having grown up in Florida, a 5 hour public isnt too far fetched. 6 hours is miserable. My advice is to find a private or semi private club and while it costs a bit more, everything is included, especially the sub 4 hour rounds. If/when I move home, Ill give 4-5 public courses a chance and I can bet you Ill be joining a private club. It all depends on the location, quality of course, and the group of guys that are currently playing there. 

Link to comment
11 hours ago, David in FL said:

Good grief!  What course?!

The good news is that the snowbirds should be heading home in another couple of weeks!

It was Mayfair. Some guys I played with the weekend before suggested I try it out because of the greens. The greens were nice, but that was about it.

9 hours ago, kpaulhus said:

Having grown up in Florida, a 5 hour public isnt too far fetched. 6 hours is miserable. My advice is to find a private or semi private club and while it costs a bit more, everything is included, especially the sub 4 hour rounds. If/when I move home, Ill give 4-5 public courses a chance and I can bet you Ill be joining a private club. It all depends on the location, quality of course, and the group of guys that are currently playing there. 

That is my plan, but it probably won't be for another year or so. I want to be good and settled in first. Paying rent here and a mortgage in Ohio doesn't leave much room in the budget to join a private club. Once i 

@bkuehn1952 It was a gorgeous day indeed, but I don't play worth a crap when I have to wait 5 minutes or more to make a swing. Waiting on these people 

@Marty2019 if rangers aren't willing confront people, they shouldn't be a ranger. I'm not saying they have to be nasty or anything, but you may have to tell people to pick up the pace or let people through. It doesn't require technology to see that there were 2 empty holes in front of the group that was 4 spots ahead of us. It's amazing how much quicker the last 2 holes went once they got out of the way. 

Link to comment

That sucks @CarlSpackler. I don't think I could play the game if that's what I had to look forward to every time out. I'm fairly patient with others, but there's a threshold.

Do you have the opportunity to play at times and/or days of the week when it's not too crowded? 

Link to comment

Now this makes for much better reading that your typical weather-gloating. Imagine that. A place with even worse pace-of-play problems that good old Kittyhawk. 

Seriously, I'm sure you'll sort out where to go and where to avoid. 

Link to comment
11 minutes ago, JonMA1 said:

That sucks @CarlSpackler. I don't think I could play the game if that's what I had to look forward to every time out. I'm fairly patient with others, but there's a threshold.

Do you have the opportunity to play at times and/or days of the week when it's not too crowded? 

Nope. It's getting to be the time of year where I can get 9 in after work, but otherwise, I'm captive at my day job. My big project has kicked off which means long days, and my former employer has hired me as a consultant for some weekend work. I need the money, but weekends are going to be tough now too.

5 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

Now this makes for much better reading that your typical weather-gloating. Imagine that. A place with even worse pace-of-play problems that good old Kittyhawk. 

Seriously, I'm sure you'll sort out where to go and where to avoid. 

Yeah man. This was REALLY bad. No stones in the bunkers though. :-)

Link to comment
10 hours ago, David in FL said:

Mayfair?!:doh:

One of these days you're gonna learn to ask me before you try a course! ;-) 

It was a local pro who recommended it, so I figured... Well, live and learn. On the plus side, I was paired up with a young lad who is down here playing on a mini-tour. He made it around with a few birdies and 1 bogey. Not a good day for him. The there was the old couple who I called the Havercamps. Every time the lady hit the ball, I was thinking, "That's a peach, hon."

Link to comment

On the weekends I try to be either the first one off or close to it or on Sunday I wait until about 2 or so (if possible) and play when it's thinned out a bit more. I prefer morning golf because although getting up early is not fun, being done with golf in 2+ hours is!

Link to comment
7 minutes ago, Gator Hazard said:

On the weekends I try to be either the first one off or close to it or on Sunday I wait until about 2 or so (if possible) and play when it's thinned out a bit more. I prefer morning golf because although getting up early is not fun, being done with golf in 2+ hours is!

I prefer to play in the afternoons myself. I don't have to deal with dew on the grass. In Ohio, courses were usually wide open Sunday afternoons. Apparently not here.

Link to comment
7 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

I prefer to play in the afternoons myself. I don't have to deal with dew on the grass. In Ohio, courses were usually wide open Sunday afternoons. Apparently not here.

Mine is not bad after about two or so on Sundays. Especially if the Bucs are playing. Unfortunately a few hours a way for you. I'm sure @David in FLhas a few for you check out. Good luck. 

Link to comment

Yes...when I occasionally get the clubs out in "snow bird" season...I get the earliest tee time possible. I can't believe that a 5 hour round of golf is "typical;". That is sad. As I have said in many other posts, an 18 hole round should take 3.5 hours. I played St. Andrews and it took 3:20. Now I go out after work (since the time change) and can get in 10-15 holes at 5:00.

Link to comment
On 3/20/2017 at 9:21 AM, Marty2019 said:

I've given up playing golf on weekends. 

Someone needs to invent some method of timing people, without penalizing people who are being held up by other people. 

Maybe some sort of GPS unit in each golf cart, with a transmitter and a receiver, and a central control station in the pro shop, so if a group falls far enough behind the group in front of them, they get an automatic credit card charge.   All you'd need is a central unit in the pro shop that automatically flags a group when it falls far enough behind the group in front of them, then flashes a warning in the golf cart, and if they don't catch up, an automatic assessment. 

Well, it's just an idea.  Maybe some inventor will get to work on this.   I know the technology already exists.  If we can have driverless cars, certainly we can have golf carts that force you to keep up with the group in front, or assess a monetary penalty.   I know the technology exists for the head pro or whoever to have a map of the course that shows where each group is.  Then have a receiver on the golf carts, and send the warning.  "Catch up or you will have the choice of a $25 credit card charge, or a refund of all your fees if you leave the course immediately." 

Marshals and course rangers don't like to confront people.  It's unpleasant.   Blame it on the computer.   "Hey, the computer says you're behind, it assesses you.  I can't do anything about it." 

 

This technology already exists. And yes, we've pretty much given up on weekend golf as well. Even in our area, which is "overbuilt" for golf, the weekends, especially the mornings, can just get stupid!

Back to the technology. There's a local course where the GPS system on the carts can track your every move! If you're out of position it will tell you. If it's cart path only that day and you stray off the path, it will tell you to get back on! The display shows you not only where your cart is on the hole, but where the the group in front of you is. It will remind you to order snacks ahead of time for when you make the turn. Menu available on the screen!

Link to comment

I played Moose Ridge here in Michigan yesterday and they have GPS on the carts.   The info center also has warnings about cart path only on some holes and warns if you deviate from the path.   We found out yesterday that they really do work.   On one hole we approached a swale and the alarm came on telling us it was a restricted area.   The cart slowed to a 1 mph crawl and beeped the entire distance until we were back to the cart path.   

On one hole we searched for 3 lost balls and it told us we were 3 minutes behind.   We did finish in 4 hours but for a few holes we were slow.  

Since I've retired, I try to avoid weekend golf because it is so slow.

Link to comment
12 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

This technology already exists. And yes, we've pretty much given up on weekend golf as well. Even in our area, which is "overbuilt" for golf, the weekends, especially the mornings, can just get stupid!

Back to the technology. There's a local course where the GPS system on the carts can track your every move! If you're out of position it will tell you. If it's cart path only that day and you stray off the path, it will tell you to get back on! The display shows you not only where your cart is on the hole, but where the the group in front of you is. It will remind you to order snacks ahead of time for when you make the turn. Menu available on the screen!

Since I posted that, I played a course that has a similar technology to the one you describe.   Not quite as extensive a system, but in addition to giving us the usual distances, it did other stuff-  for example there was a drive-able par 4 with a blind tee shot and the system in the cart warned us that the green was not clear yet.  Stuff like that. 

 

Edited by Marty2019
Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Blog Entries

  • Posts

    • There is no requirement for a marker to be a fellow competitor. They are simply a "person responsible for entering a player’s score on the player’s scorecard and for certifying that scorecard."
    • I’ll recount this round more specifically, then answer your question.  1) hit normal, first tee shot, duck hookish drive left of fw. Hit a low, below the trees, 95yd 52 wedge to inside 10ft. Missed the putt.  2) cut drive, still missed ever so slightly left of fw. Put approach to 3ft, made birdie.  3) 2iron to mid fairway, had 130 in and hit pw barely over the green (within 20ft of pin). Hit a putt from the rough as it was straight downhill, made par.  4) par 3, hit front edge of green after a high toe chunk of a tee shot. Couldn’t get up and down. 5) par 5, perfect drive, left with 200 or so in. Missed green to the right but pin high, chipped to a tap in.  6) par 3 missed green short right, chip hit the pin and stopped close.  7) par 5, good drive, had 5iron in, missed slightly right but carried the bunker. 2 putt birdie 8- Good drive, missed fairway, but it’s a short hole and ended short right of green. 65yd pitch to inside 10ft. made the putt.  9) pounded the drive, approach from 45yds ended up inches from the hole. Birdie 10) missed drive right into the trees, punched out, had 105yds in and put my 56 to 4ft and made par. Key par there.  11) par 5, drive missed right of fw but still fine, hit 4iron to inside 20ft, 2 putt birdie.  12) par 3, thought i hit it perfect, bit landed mid green and spun to front. Had a tough uphill putt from 40ft or so. Made par.  13) par 5, good drive but slightly left of fw, hit 2iron to pin high right of green. Chip to 5ft, made the slider for birdie.  14) 315yd par 4, drove green (must have had a lucky kick, I’ve been plugging in front approach all winter), ended within 15ft and made the putt for eagle. 15) cut 2iron down left side fw, tucked right pin so did my normal draw off it to middle of green. Had 25-30ft, made par.  16) par 3, 150yds, tucked right pin again, hit 15-20ft away, made par.  17) hit hooky 2iron, but ok in left rough, had 100yds in slightly downwind, hit my 60 8ft past, made birdie.  18) hit 2iron hard down right but hit trees and kicked, luckily, slightly left back into fairway, had 130yds in and had my 52 to 4ft, made birdie.  That is 7/14 fairways and 14/18 greens. Basically the driver was hit well, and for the most part, not in trouble and leaving short wedges in. From there I hit wedges really well, including many of the chip/pitch distances. When my game is around even par, there’s definitely no putts made and approaches aren’t as close. Mid to upper 60s means better approaches and some putts. Low 60s is good approaches with more putts made. Certainly making birdies on the 4 par 5s is important as well as making virtually no bogies.  I’ve said it before about my game but when my driver is doing good, I’m doing good. If it’s not, I’m not. My full/partial wedges are the best part of my game. Pitching/chipping is getting a ton better. Putting is a lot better but variable depending on conditions. The game just happens to be aligning more the last few months. 
    • Day 50 - Used MirrorVision to watch/film swings, focusing on my impact position.
    • 62 is cool as hell. Damn
    • Great playing! Curious when you say "good approaches" on like 1,2,17,18 that resulted in 3 birdies, what kinds of distances are you hitting for the approach shots and how far are you leaving for your birdie putts?  Maybe a better way to ask is during this great run of golf you've been playing obviously you've been doing a lot of things well, but is there a common theme among the really low rounds that you hadn't had prior to this stretch? Like has it been a case of stuffing everything to 5 feet, making a ton of long putts, not missing a fairway, etc.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...