IGNORED

Forward Press in Putting and Chipping

Note: This thread is 1775 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been playing for 40+ years and have always had a slight forward press (only about an inch or so) just before I begin the backstroke in putting. On the advice of instructors and well-meaning playing partners, I've tried to break the habit but without success. On the positive side, I've heard that the forward press serves as a "trigger" mechanism that supposedly provides consistency. On the negative, I also know that it de-lofts the putter face (mine has about 3 degrees of loft, which I believe is standard). But looking in the mirror it appears that despite the forward press, by the time the putter face returns to the ball it has "caught up" and is no longer de-lofted. Not sure whether if that is a good thing or a bad thing. 

Within the past month, and not on purpose, I've began the forward press in chipping as well, usually with a 9-iron. Just as in putting, it appears that the clubhead catches up on the forward stroke so the de-lofting is not an issue. Consistency in chipping has actually improved slightly. 

Any additional positives and negatives that I have not thought of? If I really wanted to break the habit, how would I do it? I've tried mirror drills but they don't seem to help. 

What's in the bag:
Driver: TaylorMade Rocketballz (non-adjustable), 10.5 degrees, stock graphite shaft R flex
Hybrids: Kasco, 17 and 25 degrees, stock graphite shafts
Irons: Golfsmith Tour Cavity Forged, 4-PW, graphite shafts R, 2 degrees upright
Wedges: TaylorMade Black Oxide, 52, 56, and 60 degrees, graphite shafts
Putter: Rife Barbados w/SuperStroke grip 
Ball: Bridgestone RXS

Only break the habit if it is affecting your swing/ball flight.  What matters is impact and result.  NOTHING ELSE

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 hours ago, RandyBobbitt said:

I've been playing for 40+ years and have always had a slight forward press (only about an inch or so) just before I begin the backstroke in putting. On the advice of instructors and well-meaning playing partners, I've tried to break the habit but without success. On the positive side, I've heard that the forward press serves as a "trigger" mechanism that supposedly provides consistency. On the negative, I also know that it de-lofts the putter face (mine has about 3 degrees of loft, which I believe is standard). But looking in the mirror it appears that despite the forward press, by the time the putter face returns to the ball it has "caught up" and is no longer de-lofted. Not sure whether if that is a good thing or a bad thing. 

Within the past month, and not on purpose, I've began the forward press in chipping as well, usually with a 9-iron. Just as in putting, it appears that the clubhead catches up on the forward stroke so the de-lofting is not an issue. Consistency in chipping has actually improved slightly. 

Any additional positives and negatives that I have not thought of? If I really wanted to break the habit, how would I do it? I've tried mirror drills but they don't seem to help. 

I am one of those "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Unlese your current.stroke is hurting your game, I wouldn't worry too much about it. 

I don't use a forward press myself, on any swing. I still play pretty well. OTH, I have friends who swear by using an forward ptess. 

To each his own. 

Edited by Patch

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

• iacas changed the title to Forward Press in Putting and Chipping
  • 1 month later...

It’s interesting topic. I believe that the “forward press” in putting has a better chance for the ball “hug”to the ground sooner and  thus  roll forward sooner 

Dont see as much with modern golfers as much the older timers 

For me when I forward press in chipping it’s just to get the rhythm going  and just getting the ball to bounce as soon as possible on the green 

In putting I don’t forward press any more but I do believe in setting the hands as far forward as comfortable 

Especially for uphill putts I want to get the ball rolling as soon as possible 

Edited by dchoye

You want 2-3° of dynamic loft on a putter, so whether you need to forward press to deloft the face depends on your stroke and the static loft of your putter.

With chipping you can manipulate the face and deloft the face with or without a forward press. It really just depends on what kind of shot you're trying to hit.

On 4/4/2019 at 1:52 PM, pganapathy said:

Only break the habit if it is affecting your swing/ball flight.  What matters is impact and result.  NOTHING ELSE

I think a major hurdle in this is most people don't know if they're doing something poorly until they've been measured on SAM or had a putter fitting/lesson. I see a lot of people on the putting green skip or bounce the ball the first few feet and they don't realize it affects their putting.

• Like 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Trying not to think of something doesn't work for me.  The only way I know, to break a habit, is to replace it with another one.  That said...it doesn't sound like there is any cause for alarm.  

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Note: This thread is 1775 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!