IGNORED

Should I Take Golf Seriously?

Playwhereitlies
Note: This thread is 1829 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I would say get serious about it. I am a "serious" player. I play golf for the competition, I play to see how good I can be. Learn the rules and play by them. Golf can be a lot of fun even if you take it seriously and care about how you play.

There are few things I would be remiss without mentioning though: 

• As a 7 handicap at 25 you have no chance of ever competing at the professional level. That being said competing at the amateur level is still very competitive and enjoyable. There's nothing wrong with working on your game and becoming the best amateur player you can be. If you can get the handicap low enough you can try and qualify for the US Amateur, Mid-Am, and Four-Ball if you can find a partner. On top of that there are state ams and other great competitions at the club level as well.
  • I will also warn you those "supportive" girlfriends often turn into not quite as supportive wives. I would be shocked if two hours a night of "family time" cuts it once you put that ring on her finger. You might have to tweak that schedule eventually.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 hours ago, NM Golf said:

I will also warn you those "supportive" girlfriends often turn into not quite as supportive wives. I would be shocked if two hours a night of "family time" cuts it once you put that ring on her finger. You might have to tweak that schedule eventually.

This was my experience.   When we were first married, my wife wanted my attention completely.    I tease here that I gave up martial arts, motorcross racing, diving and hunting just for her.   Now that I've been married for many years, it's completely different.   

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Should any of us take anything seriously?  I mean...seriously.  What's the difference between being President of the stamp club and growing prize winning tomatoes?  Who cares, besides ourselves, how we did in the dart league last Wednesday?  Does scoring a ton 80 make you a better person than a 4-putt double bogey indicates?  We all have a limited supply of self worth...and it erodes over time.  None of us get better with age.  We can hang on to youth and golf offers the best opportunity to do so.  Does that make it important?  You tell me.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

19 hours ago, dennyjones said:

This was my experience.   When we were first married, my wife wanted my attention completely.    I tease here that I gave up martial arts, motorcross racing, diving and hunting just for her.   Now that I've been married for many years, it's completely different.   

You're right it's cyclical, when my wife and I were dating she would say "Sure, go to the golf course, have fun." She didn't want to be too pushy. We got married and had kids and she would say, "There are things around the house that need to be done and YOU'RE going to the golf course!" Many a fight began as I tried to get to my car with my clubs. Now we've been married for 20 years it's, "Aren't you supposed to tee off at 7:30? Hurry, you'll be late!" She just wants me gone so she can do what she wants to do. 

• Like 2

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

7 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

You're right it's cyclical, when my wife and I were dating she would say "Sure, go to the golf course, have fun." She didn't want to be too pushy. We got married and had kids and she would say, "There are things around the house that need to be done and YOU'RE going to the golf course!" Many a fight began as I tried to get to my car with my clubs. Now we've been married for 20 years it's, "Aren't you supposed to tee off at 7:30? Hurry, you'll be late!" She just wants me gone so she can do what she wants to do. 

real life haha

5 hours ago, NM Golf said:

Aka the pool boy.

Learn some fundamentals that you might not know about or just work on them a bit. Alignment, proper chipping, learning how good players hit wedge shots 70-120 yards (not high unless needed) and find a game so you have competition and a good group is a lot of fun-bring your friends too.

Since you have a good job and good life going, you can join a club or  course with a decent facility. You can always bring your significant other to all the parties and events also if you join a country club.

But learning or practicing fundamentals doesn’t necessarily mean getting all technical and redoing your swing.

Playin well is fun as you’ve learned so far. But playing really well is really fun. The feeling of controlling your ball and plotting around Is amazing. But so is recovering, hitting amazing escape shots, and racking up birdies like Phil. Either style can be practiced and you can form the game and style you want. 

I would take it more seriously, learn and practice but that doesn’t mean turning yourself into a robot. But you do you. Like they have said-have fun  the way you want

On 4/17/2019 at 10:32 AM, Playwhereitlies said:

Hahaha yea when I was writing it I definitely could see it coming off arrogant but took the shot anyways. But just for clarification it was not meant to be arrogant, bragging just didn’t wanna leave anything out. At the time I played the tournament I was about a 16 handicap but yea I’m not trying to go in Tour just testing the waters really. Goal is to be a scratch golfer by the end of the year. Completely new to this forum/golf so forgive me if I came off like a dueche, wasn’t my intention. 

Glad you took my post with humor...most others would get all jacked up trying to defend themselves.

On 4/18/2019 at 2:43 PM, NM Golf said:

I do hope my wife can some day warm up to my passion for the game.  Right now I have to defend myself every time I play a round.

Note: This thread is 1829 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!