IGNORED

Is Average Score the Best Determining Factor When Buying Clubs?

Note: This thread is 1771 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I apologize in advance for the length of this post. The long of the short of it is I'm in the market for some new clubs and after a Callaway fitting event and trying out some clubs at my local golf shop and doing some research online, I'm in desperate need of some feedback. I'm sure topics like this have come up before and the simple answer is to go with what feels best but that's where I'm getting stuck. My average score says I'm a beginner. My ball striking says quite the opposite. What do I do?

A little background..  I first had lessons when I was 6 or 7 and I only ever played with some old Golden Bear blades my grandpa cut down for me. (He was 6'7)  I played a ton in the summers participating in camps, clinics and the occasional club junior tournament. I basically quit playing after my parents were divorced and my grandpa stopped playing. My dad hates golf and loves baseball so I swapped golf for baseball.  From 13-30 I played maybe once or twice a year, if I played at all.  Fast forward to about 4 years ago when my father-in-law loaned me a set of Taylormade Burner Bubble 2 irons. They were so much nicer than the clubs my grandpa gave me when I was a kid but they were too short (I'm 6'5). After using them for a few years swinging over the top of the ball a gazillion times and being told the clubs couldn't be extended because of the unique bubble shaft, my father-in-law took the TMs back and gave me a set of 2014 Ping Karsten irons he'd recently moved on from, which I've been using for the past 8 months.  I had them extended and re-gripped but after thousands of swings with them, I just flat out don't like them. I hate how huge and chunky they look, I can barely discern the difference between a flush hit and a mishit and with only some 40 year old blades and the 20 year old TM's to compare to, I like the Karstens the least. Without wanting to seem ungrateful, I haven't mentioned my dislike for the irons to the only other person in my life who knows golf. So I found a Callaway fitting event at a local course and attended last week. To say my mind was blown would be a hell of an understatement.  The only iron head the fitter had me try was the Apex.. which I thought was only for "better players," but after seeing my 7 iron carry distance increase from 160 to 200 yards and instantly straightening out the push I'd been battling, I didn't question the man. And then after a driver fitting and learning that my average swing speed was 116 mph and gaining almost 60 more yards of carry from 250 to 310 with an extra stiff shaft, I left the event wondering if I hadn't wasted my youth on the wrong sport. 

So, if you've made it this far, thank you for reading and here's my question.  At what point is your average score the right or wrong determining factor for what irons you should be playing?  If I was going completely off my average score, I should theoretically be playing SGI or GI irons.  The Callaway fitter didn't even bother having me try an iron from that category.  Should he have? Am I missing something?  Was he only having me test the Apex because it's the most expensive?  With my newfound knowledge of my swing stats I went to try some other brands at the local golf shop, but after hitting off mats into a net vs grass at the range the day before, nothing felt as good as the Apex, including the Apex I asked to try after the golf shop guy had me hitting a Rogue, 716 AP1, a TM M6, and a Mizuno Hot Metal 9whatever.  I'm trying to line up a Titleist fitting event and a Taylormade one but I can't help wonder if I go into those if I should be requesting to try "better player irons" even though I'm clearly not a better player based on my scores with a set of clubs that obviously don't fit me in the slightest.  So again, if you've read this far, thank you for your patience and I'd sincerely appreciate some feedback.  Thank you.

*** I tried posting this before but can't seem to find it anywhere. If this is a duplicate though, I apologize.

Having been in a similar spot l would suggest that you go with the Apex, ping i210 or Titleist AP3 assuming you are dedicated to the new sport and you can afford them. Get fitted if possible. There is something to be said for going  up a club and learning to hit it vs. Going with the GI or SGI learning to play with the "help" those clubs provide.  But let the numbers and resulting data  drive the decision.  Also nothing wrong buying a used set or last year's closeout model and taking the savings and investing more lessons. Strive to be better is my mantra.  Good Luck with your choice. Let us know how it works out for you. 

Driver G with Tour 65 shaft 10.5 neutral setting by :ping:
3W G30, #3 and #4 Hybrid, Irons 5 to GW G25 by :ping:
54 & 58 Glide Wedges and putter Cadence TR Anser 2  Traditional also by :ping:
Ball TriSpeed Tour by :srixon: Shoes M Project Wide by :footjoy:
Bag and Push cart by :sunmountain:

It is very simple.  Average score should never come into it.  The decision should be based on what clubs you hit best.  There are pro's that play SGI clubs and high handicap amateurs who can hit blades properly but are unable to score for various other reasons.

When I say clubs you hit best, there are two factors.  Distance with the clubs is one, though I rate that lower than dispersion.  Take those two factors together and find the set that suits your game best.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thank you both for the feedback. I sincerely appreciate the clarity. In far fewer words, all I originally meant to convey was that after rededicating myself to the game after a long layoff, I don't feel like the beginner I'm describing myself as to the club fitters. One fitter seemed to ignore what I "should be" using and I liked what he set me up with whereas the other guy went along with everything I'd read on the internet in terms or recommending clubs based on my score. And after preferring the feeling of clubs I'm supposedly not qualified to play, I came here in search of answers. So I thank you again. I've got two more demo day fittings lined up in a couple weeks and after that I suspect I'll finally have a set of fitted clubs to call my own. Can't wait.

• 1 month later...

For anyone that's interested in an update, here goes.  After my last post, I continued to try other manufacturer's offerings. I liked the Titleists and Mizunos. Pings and Taylormade's not so much.  But ultimately nothing came anywhere close to feeling as good as the Apex's.  A pure stroke with any club feels good, but I'm here to tell you the Apex is on a completely different level. It's just heavenly. My dispersion between all the clubs I tried really wasn't significant enough to sway me away from the incredible feeling the Apex's give. I went ahead and bought the 5-AW, the Epic Flash Sub Zero driver and Apex 3 hybrid.  It's been about 3 weeks since I've had my new clubs and I absolutely love them. In the two rounds I've played, I've had two of the lowest scores I've ever posted (93, 94.. whereas for the last year I was elated if I could keep my score below 100).  The extra stiff shafts have made an unreal difference in terms of accuracy and added distance.  New clubs haven't guaranteed a perfect swing every time, but having the ball actually go where I want it to, when I do, makes all the difference in the world. The feeling is so good its addicting. I've never had so much fun playing the game.

5 minutes ago, cvb805 said:

New clubs haven't guaranteed a perfect swing every time,

Let me know when you find those "perfect swing every time" clubs......  I'll get a set too !!!!!!  LOL

It really makes a difference to your game when you have clubs you enjoy using......... Have fun !!!!!

• Like 2

Remember when reading posts...…. Communication: 80% Body Language; 15% Tone & 5% Actual Words
We'd all be best selling authors if we could communicate in the written word as well as we would like.

:aimpoint:    :bushnell:    :sunmountain:   :ogio:   :titleist:
:mizuno:  Mizuno ST180 Driver
:ping:  Ping G400 fairway 3 
:cleveland:  Cleveland HB Launcher Iron set  4-PW  50/56/60 CBX Wedges
:callaway:  64 Calloway Lob Wedge
 :scotty_cameron:    Scotty Camron GOLO 3

46 minutes ago, cvb805 said:

For anyone that's interested in an update, here goes.  After my last post, I continued to try other manufacturer's offerings. I liked the Titleists and Mizunos. Pings and Taylormade's not so much.  But ultimately nothing came anywhere close to feeling as good as the Apex's.  A pure stroke with any club feels good, but I'm here to tell you the Apex is on a completely different level. It's just heavenly. My dispersion between all the clubs I tried really wasn't significant enough to sway me away from the incredible feeling the Apex's give. I went ahead and bought the 5-AW, the Epic Flash Sub Zero driver and Apex 3 hybrid.  It's been about 3 weeks since I've had my new clubs and I absolutely love them. In the two rounds I've played, I've had two of the lowest scores I've ever posted (93, 94.. whereas for the last year I was elated if I could keep my score below 100).  The extra stiff shafts have made an unreal difference in terms of accuracy and added distance.  New clubs haven't guaranteed a perfect swing every time, but having the ball actually go where I want it to, when I do, makes all the difference in the world. The feeling is so good its addicting. I've never had so much fun playing the game.

I’m glad you love your clubs. What I would recommend is that you get some proper instruction. If you’re averaging 116mph SS and you hit your 7i 200yds yet you’re shooting In the 90’s....yeah ...it’s time to get lessons. Don’t let that enormous talent go down the rabbit hole of compensating swings.  

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

17 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

I’m glad you love your clubs. What I would recommend is that you get some proper instruction. If you’re averaging 116mph SS and you hit your 7i 200yds yet you’re shooting In the 90’s....yeah ...it’s time to get lessons. Don’t let that enormous talent go down the rabbit hole of compensating swings.  

I think the Callaway guys were trying to boost my ego with the distances they were giving me. The numbers they were giving as "carry distance" certainly seem a lot more like total distance now that I've played with them enough. I honestly couldn't care less about distance, I'm just happy to see the improvement in accuracy. Some instruction is definitely on the summer to-do list.

@cvb805, congrats! looks like you've settled on a good answer for yourself and picked out some great clubs. in case anyone else comes across this thread with a similar question i thought i'd quickly share my $.02. 

Is avg score the best determining factor when buying clubs?

it depends. i have friends who are mainly concerned with immediate performance during their competitive rounds and opt for the most forgiving clubs they can get fitted to their swing. the thought of playing with less-forgiving clubs stresses these guys out and doesn't enhance their enjoyment during practice or play. getting feedback on miss-hits and potentially loosing yardage does them no good at all.

on the other hand, i know high 'cappers who aren't competitive right now and value the immediate feedback less-forgiving clubs can provide more than gaining additional yardage on miss-hits. these guys don't mind potentially losing strokes in the short-term because they believe the immediate feedback will improve their ball-striking in the medium- to long-term. 

and as you mentioned above, sometimes aesthetics are important enough to sway a decision one way or another. 

regardless of club head style (e.g. game improvement, or players' CBs or blades) i think it's important to get fitted for the right clubs, if possible. or at least have a pro look at your swing and make some recommendations. imho, shaft flex, grip size/type, and swing "feel" (e.g. swing weight or MOI) are often overlooked and contribute just as much if not more to the enjoyment and performance of the clubs than the club head style. 

my swing thread

3-wood: 13* TEE CB4, mitsubishi 'ahina 80g x; 2-iron: 16* mizuno hi-fli, c-taper 130g; 3-pw: mizuno mp-5, c-taper 130g; 50/55/60: mizuno t7, c-taper 130g; putter: SC bullseye platinum flange (2001)

24 minutes ago, hoselpalooza said:

on the other hand, i know high 'cappers who aren't competitive right now and value the immediate feedback less-forgiving clubs can provide more than gaining additional yardage on miss-hits. these guys don't mind potentially losing strokes in the short-term because they believe the immediate feedback will improve their ball-striking in the medium- to long-term.

This. I am that guy. As my most immediate goal is to improve the consistency of my ball striking, that feedback is priceless. With the old SGIs I had (granted they weren't fit to me), I could only judge the results and scarcely got a sense of what produced them. I've already seen an upswing in my consistency just by knowing what to work on.

• Like 1

Glad it worked out for you.  

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

• iacas changed the title to Is Average Score the Best Determining Factor When Buying Clubs?
Note: This thread is 1771 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!