IGNORED

TaylorMade Irons

Note: This thread is 1830 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi there, this is my first post so hopefully it’s in the right place. I am looking to buy some irons. I have only really just got back into golfing and want to buy a set that will help to improve my game. I don’t have an awful lot of cash to spend on them so I am looking down the second hand road. I have used my Dads Burners and they felt great so I am looking to get a Taylormade set. I have the choice of RBZ’s, R11’s, RSI 1, Speedblades, Rocketblades, Burner 2.0. I know they are quite old but I don’t have an awful amount of money to get them fitted and custom. 

Any advice would be great on what to get would be great! 

18 minutes ago, evanbailey1 said:

Hi there, this is my first post so hopefully it’s in the right place. I am looking to buy some irons. I have only really just got back into golfing and want to buy a set that will help to improve my game. I don’t have an awful lot of cash to spend on them so I am looking down the second hand road. I have used my Dads Burners and they felt great so I am looking to get a Taylormade set. I have the choice of RBZ’s, R11’s, RSI 1, Speedblades, Rocketblades, Burner 2.0. I know they are quite old but I don’t have an awful amount of money to get them fitted and custom. 

Hello and welcome to TST. Well if you’re not going to get fit it’s a tough question for any of us to answer. It’d be like me asking ‘hey should I get the Izod, Polo or Calvin Clein shirt?’ They’re all good clubs. I’d at least try to hit them and see what you like best. If you’re just looking to choose one and buy as is...I’d do a google search for reviews on each one and see what others have said. Cheers! 

• Thumbs Up 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I’ve played the RSI’s and nothing wrong with them. But it’s more about the shafts. You realy need to know if the shafts go well with your swing. So try to hit them on a trackman or on the the course before you buy. Just buying without hitting and you need a lot of luck to get the right clubs for you.

I have always found that within a brand, irons for a given player type (ie game improvement, super game improvement, low handicapper) will be pretty similar to one another regardless of model year. The same style of Taylormade irons will be pretty similar regardless of whether they are 1 year old or 5 years old. Also the stock shafts don't change much from year to year so unless you are looking at some steel and some graphite or the shafts aren't the stock option or length, I wouldn't be too concerned. Pick the head you like the look of with the price you can be happy with. Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• iacas changed the title to TaylorMade Irons
On 4/20/2019 at 10:48 AM, evanbailey1 said:

How much money are we talking? I believe if we had a sense of what your budget was we could help you a little better. I'd say get as new of irons as your budget allows.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

I’ve been playing Ping irons ever since I dropped my starter set of northwestern irons 2 years after I started playing. What I tend to do is shop a year or 2 behind the times. What I mean is I bought my Ping 2016 G irons in Jan 2018 after the 2018 irons came out. Got me a much better deal. Just bought my G400 driver this year after the G410 came out. Again saved me some cash on a good club. Something to consider.... you don’t need to go with the top of the line newest clubs from whatever manufacturer you go with.

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

I rented a set with Speedblades when I was in Hawaii last year. They were really easy to hit. The ball got up air easily and I was a lot more accurate than I thought I might be since it was the first time I ever tried them. I also rented a set with the RBZs and didn’t like them at all.

DRIVER- Tour Edge EXS 220
3W- Adams Tight Lies 2
Hybrids- Cobra F8 19 *

Utility- Sub 70 699U #4
Irons - Sub 70 739 5-PW
Wedges- Tour Edge CB Pro 50, 54, 58
Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft #11

Ball- Titleist DT Trufeel

I have a set of Speed Blade irons and a set of M1 irons. Both are good beginner clubs and both can be found used if you're looking for a set to start. I don't know what your game is so can't say whether or not they will help you. It might be that the best help would come with lessons.

The most important part of those clubs will be the shaft.  Yes, the blade/GI/SGI heads will make a difference in forgiveness and launch angle, but the shaft is 80 percent of that.  At least go to a pro shop/golf centre and hit clubs in order to figure out the type of shaft you need and buy clubs according to that

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

I'm a Taylormade guy...had a set of R7's then RSi1's now P790s.   That being said the RSi1's are really nice clubs but I'd recommend staying away from any of their irons with the face grooves...the filler on my set chipped out pretty quickly and I've read it's pretty common.  I'm not sure if they've fixed it with the newer ones but I wouldn't get them again.

Note: This thread is 1830 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!