IGNORED

Before I Go Mad… In to Out

Note: This thread is 1826 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been trying for over a year to stop coming out to in and get in to out. I've tried everything like swinging right, aiming left then firing right etc. I can get it with no ball down but main swing is over the top. Only thing I can see which might help is trying to keep my right shoulder behind me on the downswing. Would this work? 

Why do you feel the need to swing in to out? Why not just work on getting the path back to neutral first?

It's also possible to play very very good golf with a slight out to in path 

Plenty of PGA players have slight out to in swing paths and play fades.

All else equal, a fade goes just as far as a draw.

Since you can do the motion without a ball, my guess is you are trying to do full swing, full speed swings instead of starting slow with little chips and pitches, and over the course of hours and hours of practice sessions working up into full speed swings. 

I recommend reading these

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

A temporary fix, using a yoga block or a water bottle.   Set the yoga block about 3" outside your ball and about 2" behind it.   A visual presence is sometimes the key to helping achieve the desired results.   If you are indeed swing out to in, you'll hit the yoga block and send it flying.   With the visual in place it will help you to focus more on your swing path.   

Best bet...go take a lesson, either in person or online.

• Like 2

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

3 hours ago, Davie81 said:

I've been trying for over a year to stop coming out to in and get in to out. I've tried everything like swinging right, aiming left then firing right etc. I can get it with no ball down but main swing is over the top. Only thing I can see which might help is trying to keep my right shoulder behind me on the downswing. Would this work? 

Set a pole/alignment stick/mother-in-law out in front of you a little ways and hit the ball to the right (assuming you're a righty) of the object.  That will at least tell you that the face is pointed over that way.  If you get the ball to draw from there, then you know you inside out because the ball will start where the face points and then curve away from the path.

I have to fight over-the-top swings quite often.  I find myself wanting to use my dominant right side (right hand swing) from the top.  The only cure for me is to think left side swing thoughts and just let my right arm come along for the ride....actually feel that my left hip pulls my left Lat (and shoulder blade through the ball).  

My wife plays also and it helps her to have a slight open stance but shoulders square to target.  Encourages an inside to out swing path if you have a decent shoulder turn in backswing.

As far as keeping your right shoulder behind you.......I recently watched a video from a female instructor that said to keep your back to the target as long as you can in the down swing.  Of course, you still have to initiate the swing with your legs/hips.   Good luck, it is tough to get rid of old habits.

• iacas changed the title to Before I Go Mad… In to Out
11 hours ago, Chisco said:

My wife plays also and it helps her to have a slight open stance but shoulders square to target.  Encourages an inside to out swing path if you have a decent shoulder turn in backswing.

How does an open stance encourage an in to out swing path? Everything I've read/watched states the opposite

I would think the golf swing that has an open stance encourages an out to in swing path because it's easier and more natural feeling to swing along your body line, so with an open stance the swing would be more towards the left for a right handed player

If I have to hit a fade to curve around some trees or something, I am opening my stance and swinging along my stance. If I have to draw/hook the ball, I am closing my stance and swinging along my stance

• Like 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Grip and body position those two will always be the cause. I know how to solve those 2 problems for myself I just don't want to advise anyone else until I'm sure, which would probably be when I'm a plus 2 marker.

Mark Lyons

There are so many reasons why you may find it hard, or impossible, to approach the ball on a shallow path from the inside that the only way to really deal with it is to take a lesson.  

Ball position, setup, grip, shoulder turn, transition.. these could all be reason why on a "real" swing you have to make a compensating move across the ball.  Or maybe it's not compensating, it's just the only physically possible option.  Your swing path might be a symptom of something else, is what I'm saying.  And working on the symptom won't lead to any success. 

Trust me, I learned this the hard way. Several times.  See a professional.

1 hour ago, klineka said:

How does an open stance encourage an in to out swing path? Everything I've read/watched states the opposite

I would think the golf swing that has an open stance encourages an out to in swing path because it's easier and more natural feeling to swing along your body line, so with an open stance the swing would be more towards the left for a right handed player

If I have to hit a fade to curve around some trees or something, I am opening my stance and swinging along my stance. If I have to draw/hook the ball, I am closing my stance and swinging along my stance

You are right about the open stance and fade/slice.  Didn't mean to be confusing.  More specifically, her left foot is slid back about 3-4 inches and hips may be slightly open while her shoulders remain square to target.  Shoulders look/feel closed.  Swing is made based on target/shoulder line as opposed to feet/hips.

I dont use the swing because I am not very flexible and it restricts my backswing but it has definitely helped eliminate (for the most part) her over-the-top move.

I generally don't like to promote videos because different feels/swing thoughts work for some and hinder others but if you want to see an example Steve Johnson on youtube calls it his Eureka swing.

Note: This thread is 1826 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!