IGNORED

Club Fitting - Returning Golfer

Note: This thread is 1787 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I want to ask question about club fitting!! I’m returning to golf after a 10 years hiatus and was looking to buy some used or inexpensive clubs but a lot of people is giving me some advice to get club fitted before buying some clubs!! I looked around the Houston/Cypress Tx area and club fitting is almost as expensive as buying use golf clubs!! Are there cheaper places to get club fitted or should I buy some used clubs, play golf and wait until I buy my 2nd set of golf clubs!!

You can buy used clubs but it is strongly suggested that you at least get a static fitting to check for lie, loft and length.   Getting back into the game after a hiatus poses other questions about a change in lifestyle, affordability and frequency of play.   A complete custom fitting isn't for everyone but if you do buy some used clubs, find a local golf shop and hit them first.   Don't buy online without trying them out.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to Club Fitting - Returning Golfer
6 hours ago, Vanman_1000 said:

I want to ask question about club fitting!! I’m returning to golf after a 10 years hiatus and was looking to buy some used or inexpensive clubs but a lot of people is giving me some advice to get club fitted before buying some clubs!! I looked around the Houston/Cypress Tx area and club fitting is almost as expensive as buying use golf clubs!! Are there cheaper places to get club fitted or should I buy some used clubs, play golf and wait until I buy my 2nd set of golf clubs!!

Okay, I'm going to fly against the crowd here. Unless you are over 6'2" or under 5'9", don't worry right now about being fit for your clubs right now. Getting used clubs is fine.

In my opinion, however, unless there's some used club in particular you are looking for, I think there are three better options.

1 - Just go raid the bargain cave at Rock Bottom Golf. You can pick up a set of irons brand new for around 300 plus or minus, and a driver for around 100-200. Get a no name putter from your local sporting goods store and get out there and play. 

2 - Go buy a boxed set from a sporting goods store. I started out with a boxed set from a store like Durhams Sporting Goods... (Not sure if you have those in your area.) But you can get everything you need including a bag for 100 to 350 bucks. I literally bought my boxed set on lunch break and went to the course after work for my first round in my company's league. That's how I started.

3 - (Best option) Find a friend who is a serious golfer. I'll bet you a dime to a donut that he has an entire extra set of clubs in his basement that he'd be willing to lend you for a while until you develop a swing and an idea what you are going to like. I know I could build a set with what's in my basement, and so could my wife. I'll bet there are people on this forum who could build 6, 8 or even 10 sets from what they have in their basement/garage. 

Ask around for a good golf instructor in your area and sign up for some lessons. Or some places offer a complete golf class. You show up every Thursday after work for an hour getting instruction on the different aspects of the game for the next 6 to 8 weeks. That kind of thing. Check out your local community center. I know ours has that class under "adult learning" every spring. 

I realize this is just my opinion, but I'd rather see you just get a set off clubs off the rack and go get some lessons rather than worrying about a fitting right now. If you haven't played in 10 years your swing will likely change a lot over the course of this season. Once you start hitting it consistently and enjoying the game a bit you will want to get new clubs anyway. Go get fit for those clubs. 

That's just my opinion. Remember opinions are like A$$holes everyone has one and believe that everyone else's stink. 

• Like 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

11 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Okay, I'm going to fly against the crowd here. Unless you are over 6'2" or under 5'9", don't worry right now about being fit for your clubs right now. Getting used clubs is fine.

In my opinion, however, unless there's some used club in particular you are looking for, I think there are three better options.

1 - Just go raid the bargain cave at Rock Bottom Golf. You can pick up a set of irons brand new for around 300 plus or minus, and a driver for around 100-200. Get a no name putter from your local sporting goods store and get out there and play. 

2 - Go buy a boxed set from a sporting goods store. I started out with a boxed set from a store like Durhams Sporting Goods... (Not sure if you have those in your area.) But you can get everything you need including a bag for 100 to 350 bucks. I literally bought my boxed set on lunch break and went to the course after work for my first round in my company's league. That's how I started.

3 - (Best option) Find a friend who is a serious golfer. I'll bet you a dime to a donut that he has an entire extra set of clubs in his basement that he'd be willing to lend you for a while until you develop a swing and an idea what you are going to like. I know I could build a set with what's in my basement, and so could my wife. I'll bet there are people on this forum who could build 6, 8 or even 10 sets from what they have in their basement/garage. 

Ask around for a good golf instructor in your area and sign up for some lessons. Or some places offer a complete golf class. You show up every Thursday after work for an hour getting instruction on the different aspects of the game for the next 6 to 8 weeks. That kind of thing. Check out your local community center. I know ours has that class under "adult learning" every spring. 

I realize this is just my opinion, but I'd rather see you just get a set off clubs off the rack and go get some lessons rather than worrying about a fitting right now. If you haven't played in 10 years your swing will likely change a lot over the course of this season. Once you start hitting it consistently and enjoying the game a bit you will want to get new clubs anyway. Go get fit for those clubs. 

That's just my opinion. Remember opinions are like A$$holes everyone has one and believe that everyone else's stink. 

Thanks

You can also find a used set of 3 yr old Mizuno irons on ebay for around $200 - 300 that are in really good shape. Just a heads up if you get a set of used forged irons and they need the lie adjusted, have them adjust the lie on the gap wedge first as a test, that way if the club breaks it doesn't ruin the entire set and you can resell it as a 5-PW or 4-PW or whatever it is minus the GW. Don't let them grab the 7 iron and adjust that one first.

• Thumbs Up 1

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

So, as some of you know, I am a returning golfer that hasn't played In ten years but I'm now deciding to take up the game again. I went to the golf shop to get fitted and hit some different types of clubs for purchase. I hit some Callaway's, Titleist, tommy armor, and taylormade. I was looking to purchase some used clubs that's been out for about 1- 4 yrs and all the clubs I hit was good but the taylormade m4 felt really good. My swing was terrible from rust but hitting those taylormade put an extra 20 yd on my swing. I want to go back to the golf store to try the taylormade m2, ping, and other Callaway's. I also hit some drivers but that's going to take a lot more work but will try to get a used one to put in my bag.

My advice would be to settle on something and stick with it for a while.  There is no way to tell, now, what your preference will be a year, or two, from now.  If you establish a base you will be able to make a better informed decision about how to proceed.  

• Thumbs Up 1

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

• iacas changed the title to Update on Club Purchase
Note: This thread is 1787 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!