Big C

Tony Romo Playing in the Byron Nelson - How Will He Fare?

Will Tony Romo Impress, Embarrass, or something in between?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. What will be the lower of Tony Romo's Thursday & Friday Scores

• Impress (Even Par 72 or lower)
    • Embarrass (78 or higher)
    • Somewhere in between (73-77)

64 posts / 5426 viewsLast Reply

Just now, iacas said:

He was T28 after one round this year, beating almost a hundred PGA Tour pros.

True...And even beat pros in missing the cut. I just don't see that as sustainable, IMHO. -Marv

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

He was T28 after one round this year, beating almost a hundred PGA Tour pros.

I was leading my club championship after 2 holes too...   :-D

44 minutes ago, MarvChamp said:

True...And even beat pros in missing the cut. I just don't see that as sustainable, IMHO. -Marv

You said no chance. Zip. Zilch.

Clearly that’s wrong. If he can do it for one round he can do it for two and at that point he’s beaten over half the field.

22 hours ago, iacas said:

You said no chance. Zip. Zilch.

Clearly that’s wrong. If he can do it for one round he can do it for two and at that point he’s beaten over half the field.

I GOT OFF TOPIC AND WAS SPEAKING OF WINNING...Yes he can contend over a period of time in the Nelson so I agree. But he cannot sustain that good play against pro golfers to win or place high in the end. Best, -Marv

ESPN article on Romo being good for the game and the Tour

A 2-under-par 70 in the first round had the place buzzing, along with contingency plans to replace him on Sunday's NFL broadcast alongside Jim Nantz taking on more meaning.
Romo was always a long shot to make the cut, and he struggled during the second round. But his participation nonetheless gave the event a boost, and that is really the point.

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/27737098/why-tony-romo-good-golf-more-things-mattered-week

Some golf history  The 1933 U.S. Open was the 37th U.S. Open, held June 8–10 at North Shore Country Club in Glenview, Illinois, a suburb northwest of Chicago. Amateur Johnny Goodman outlasted Ralph Guldahl by a single stroke to win his only major championship.

But Johnny Goodman was a golfer.  

But I have to agree that's it's next to impossible that a sports figure from another sport could win a regular PGA Tour event. 

17 minutes ago, Herkimer said:

Some golf history  The 1933 U.S. Open was the 37th U.S. Open, held June 8–10 at North Shore Country Club in Glenview, Illinois, a suburb northwest of Chicago. Amateur Johnny Goodman outlasted Ralph Guldahl by a single stroke to win his only major championship.

But Johnny Goodman was a golfer.  

But I have to agree that's it's next to impossible that a sports figure from another sport could win a regular PGA Tour event. 

Straw man. I don’t see people saying he could win.

10 minutes ago, iacas said:

Straw man. I don’t see people saying he could win.

What about making the cut?  Do you think that Romo can make the cut in a PGA Tour event?

5 minutes ago, Herkimer said:

What about making the cut?  Do you think that Romo can make the cut in a PGA Tour event?

Asked and answered.

It’s clearly within reason. Clearly possible.

It's more likely that he won't make a cut than he will, but he certainly could.  Did he get a little lucky to be 2 under?   Probably, but what player ever played a good round without a little luck?  The other thing is that in his Tour starts he seems to be trending upwards.  Small sample, for sure, but it's all we've got.

Things he has going for him:

He is certainly athletic enough.  He is clearly a good golfer.  He has as much time as he chooses to have to work on his game, and the word is that he is doing a lot of that.  I would expect he would have access to almost any instructor/coach he would like.  He's probably going to get better.  He has performed in front of bigger crowds than he'll ever see in golf, so each time out he should be more comfortable. 

Things he has going against him:

He is years behind the best players in working exclusively on golf.  (But to make the cut, he doesn't have to beat all of them).  And, he was good at throwing an interception at the wrong time.  (I couldn't help myself!)

Do I think he will?  No, I don't.  But the folks that put up the money to hold a tournament can certainly give him an exemption, if they think the publicity pays off for them, and I expect that last week it did.