IGNORED

New York City Public Golf Compared

LICC

Not to beat a dead horse, but this is kind of on topic. Here is a map of a small portion of Port Washington, one of the "eggs" referred to by F Scott Fitzgerald in The Great Gatsby (actually, the area around the course, Sands Point, is said to have provided Fitzgerald background for the novel), full of old money. It's about 20-25 minutes, the distance between the furthest apart golf clubs, Sands Point to North Shore.

Count 'em, there are 7 courses, pretty close together. One is public, 6, SIX, are private, like buying a NYC house to join any of them. Just a little bit off the map are 9 more private courses. Deepdale, Fresh Meadow, Old Westbury, Glen Oaks, Glen Head, Cedar Brook, Brookville, Piping Rock. 

There is a lot of great golf just in this little space. But it's only for a select few. Imagine, if you had access to all 15 clubs and lived nearby, you'd always have good golf available.

Screen Shot 2019-05-31 at 3.56.03 PM.png

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

16 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Imagine, if you had access to all 15 clubs and lived nearby, you'd always have good golf available.

If all 15 clubs were public, nobody would have good golf available 😜

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

3 hours ago, billchao said:

If all 15 clubs were public, nobody would have good golf available 😜

Yeah, everyone would ruin it, wouldn't they? Or a small percentage will. Judging by the people here who can't do anything golf etiquette right because it's all about themselves.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

On 5/28/2019 at 11:24 PM, billchao said:

I have, many times, attempted to make a clear definition of NYC area and the golf courses it encompasses that makes sense from a realistic and practical point of view for the average golfer. Yours is too large to be practical, and your topic dismisses resort destinations arbitrarily despite the fact that many people live and work in those areas (Pinehurst, Myrtle Beach, etc.). Other people have pointed out these points, which you dismissed. Other people have cited lists and course reviews of other metropolitan areas as being better golf areas than NYC, which you've also dismissed.

You just keep moving the goalposts to make your definition of NYC area encompass better courses. Even other New Yorkers have pointed out that your travel radius ranges too far. At this point it seems all you're really trying to do is set the bar exactly where you want it so that your position is the only one that can be right.

I'd probably have more to say but it is late and I'm not going to discuss this topic anymore because it's pointless.

If you are going to talk about New York area courses, meaning the New York City area, it makes no sense to only limit this to courses within the 5 boroughs. If you live in NYC, you have the option to play courses in Long Island, Westchester, and North Jersey. The Golf Guides, which has been around for decades and pre-internet published guides, lists all courses it considers in the NY Metro area. That is a third-party source. Why can't you just accept that? If you live in Queens, it makes no difference to drive to a course in Long Island compared to a course in Brooklyn. If you live in the Bronx, you can drive to a course in Westchester or New Jersey easier than getting to a course in Staten Island. These are all NY area courses.

http://golfguidesusa.com/

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, LICC said:

If you are going to talk about New York area courses, meaning the New York City area, it makes no sense to only limit this to courses within the 5 boroughs. If you live in NYC, you have the option to play courses in Long Island, Westchester, and North Jersey.

And if I live in Erie, I have the choice to play courses in Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and Buffalo.

No, we've pretty much roundly rejected your claims that the NY "area" is anything within a 2-hour radius. So you can keep pushing that all you want, but few others are accepting this, including several people who live in NY, NJ, Philly, or surrounding areas.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

If I wanted to claim the Columbus "Area", I would pick anything with in a 15-20 minute drive of the city limits. That would be a reasonably drive time to go to a golf course during the weekday. A Columbus golf course is in Columbus, not outside of it. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2019 at 1:08 PM, saevel25 said:

If I wanted to claim the Columbus "Area", I would pick anything with in a 15-20 minute drive of the city limits. That would be a reasonably drive time to go to a golf course during the weekday. A Columbus golf course is in Columbus, not outside of it. 

Pound Ridge is 40 miles from NYC. Well over a 1 hour drive at most times. Golf Digest considers it Metro NY: 

Pelham-Bay-Golf-Course-.jpg

New York City's five boroughs—Manhattan, the Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn and Staten Island—are home to 8.5 million people and 13 municipal golf courses.

2 minutes ago, LICC said:

Pound Ridge is 40 miles from NYC. Well over a 1 hour drive at most times. Golf Digest considers it Metro NY: 

I don't particularly care what Golf Digest considers it. It's an opinion. I for one like things to be defined literally. 

A NYC course is inside NYC limits. A NYC Area course has to have some sort of reasonable distance from the city limits. 40 miles is too far away. 40 miles could even split the difference between two major metro areas. Who then gets claim there? 

If you want to keep your absurd definition, then go ahead. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

On 5/28/2019 at 10:22 AM, LICC said:

Isn't Torrey Pines considered more the San Diego area?

Those of us that live in SD county area, but not the city proper, don’t get the good city rates. So we don’t consider Torrey as “in our area”

🤣

• 2 years later...

I will be playing Montauk Downs for the 1st time on Monday. 2 hour drive from me and I am in Babylon,NY. They aerated on May 2 and 3rd. With all the rain we have had the greens should be very nice by the 16th.  Probably not the place for this. However anyone have any feedback about the course? I mainly play county courses and a few other courses out east. 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear: