IGNORED

Chipping/Short Pitching Drills

Note: This thread is 1780 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey everyone,

I just finished up reading the 65/20/15 thread, so now I'm curious if anyone has any good drills for the short game portion of their practice. I have a relatively good feel for partial wedges between 50 and 100 yards, but I really struggle around the green and with the short shots either from the rough or fairway, even if they are really straight forward.

I've started working to add the 'putt with an iron' chip shot to my bag, but I'm interested in what you guys do to improve your game from inside 50 yards. My current routine has too much 'dump a bucket of balls in a spot and hit 3 good shots, 4 mediocre ones, and 3 terrible ones, then move to a new spot' to make any positive impact on my game.

Thanks.

Justin

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Draw 11* Evenflow Blue 65 X

Fairway Wood: :callaway: Epic Flash 5 Wood 18* Tensei Blue AV 75 X
Irons: :titleist: AP3 4-PW Project X 6.5   |   Wedges: :callaway: MD4 50*/56*/60*
Putter: :odyssey: O-Works Tank #1

My Swing

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 hours ago, BC-to-MI said:

Hey everyone,

I just finished up reading the 65/20/15 thread, so now I'm curious if anyone has any good drills for the short game portion of their practice. I have a relatively good feel for partial wedges between 50 and 100 yards, but I really struggle around the green and with the short shots either from the rough or fairway, even if they are really straight forward.

I've started working to add the 'putt with an iron' chip shot to my bag, but I'm interested in what you guys do to improve your game from inside 50 yards. My current routine has too much 'dump a bucket of balls in a spot and hit 3 good shots, 4 mediocre ones, and 3 terrible ones, then move to a new spot' to make any positive impact on my game.

Thanks.

There are a bunch of practice drills in Lowest Score Wins. There are games where you score each shot. It helps to keep it fresh.

One game I play is 'One ball'. I pick a flag on the practice green and toss the ball off the green. Then I try to get up and down. I usually do that after I warm up with chips and pitches to get the motions down. I vary the lie and distance to try and simulate different situations.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

There are a bunch of practice drills in Lowest Score Wins. There are games where you score each shot. It helps to keep it fresh.

One game I play is 'One ball'. I pick a flag on the practice green and toss the ball off the green. Then I try to get up and down. I usually do that after I warm up with chips and pitches to get the motions down. I vary the lie and distance to try and simulate different situations.

Thanks. I'll give this a shot.

Justin

Irons: :titleist: AP3 4-PW Project X 6.5   |   Wedges: :callaway: MD4 50*/56*/60*

My Swing

I've been working hard on my short game as of late. My current routine takes anywhere from 60-90 minutes. I take 10 of the same balls and hit them all from the same spot around the putting green at one flag and score it as follows.
Make chip = 5 points
Putter length = 2 points
Good contact and makable = 1 point
Bad contact = -1 point

I start with normally a simple pitch and run from a nice fairway lie ~15 yards from hole and then will hop back 5-10 yards and do it again. I do this with a wedge and an iron and have just started incorporating a hybrid as well. Then I will move to a flat rough shot, varying lies. Uphill rough shot, downhill rough shot. 2 sets from each. The main thing is keeping focus and actually addressing the ball each time and going through the routine. 

Just started this as of last week and put a good ~4 hours into just chipping and pitching. My league is tonight so we will see how it has paid off. Best of luck to you!

Edited by Skruske

13 hours ago, BC-to-MI said:

Hey everyone,

Thanks.

Could be your technique, too. Here's a good thread on pitching:

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

(edited)
23 hours ago, Skruske said:

I've been working hard on my short game as of late. My current routine takes anywhere from 60-90 minutes. I take 10 of the same balls and hit them all from the same spot around the putting green at one flag and score it as follows.
Make chip = 5 points
Putter length = 2 points
Good contact and makable = 1 point
Bad contact = -1 point

I start with normally a simple pitch and run from a nice fairway lie ~15 yards from hole and then will hop back 5-10 yards and do it again. I do this with a wedge and an iron and have just started incorporating a hybrid as well. Then I will move to a flat rough shot, varying lies. Uphill rough shot, downhill rough shot. 2 sets from each. The main thing is keeping focus and actually addressing the ball each time and going through the routine. 

Just started this as of last week and put a good ~4 hours into just chipping and pitching. My league is tonight so we will see how it has paid off. Best of luck to you!

Thanks, I like this. I might start doing this and track my scores from each lie and compare session to session to see how I'm progressing over time.

22 hours ago, billchao said:

Could be your technique, too. Here's a good thread on pitching:

Thanks for the reply. I read this last week and it has already made an impact. Much more consistent strike than trying to be perfect on each swing, just have to dial in my distances with it now.

Edited by BC-to-MI

Justin

My Swing

Chipping feels even more mental than most parts of the game to me.  I practice chipping a lot, and getting into the groove is everything.  I find myself creating mnemonic devices in my preshot routine to pick up on when I am on the course so that I can enter that groove at a moment's notice.  The difference between when I do this and when I do not is palpable.  I would recommend such a device.

• Thumbs Up 1

I friend of mine has one of those gravity fit things and i tried it for some chipping and pitching practice a few weeks ago. The 20 or so minutes i practiced chipping with that thing was probably the most ive gotten out of a short game session in 20 years. I have some bar coasters in my bag and i use them as targets for short game practice. I was landing balls on them almost every time and Ive never chipped the ball so crisply as i did with that thing on. Something about it just takes your hands out completely and you just make body moves. Which is easier to control than the flash action of your hands.  Im not paying $100 for a set of rubber bands, but ill ask him if i can use his again sometime. 

Note: This thread is 1780 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!