IGNORED

Wrist to Floor and Club Length Questions

Note: This thread is 1845 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi all, new forum member, hope I'm posting this in the right place, been really getting into golf this past half a year and been hovering around low 90's to very rare 88-89, and been wanting to get a fitting (last time I did I hardly knew anything about my golf swing, 3-4 years ago) Additional info if it helps (this is a titlist fitting) 

My first major question is I saw this site: http://www.customgolfstop.com/CustomFitting.htm and I can't seem to wrap my head around it, so my current clubs are I think +.5 inches and they feel great, and sometimes when I try my friends standard length club they just feel sooo short, I'm 6'4 and my wrist to floor measures to be 32.5 inches, based on the chart I should be hitting SHORTER than standard length?! Can anyone give some feedback on this? Or how does this chart work here: https://www.taylormadegolfpreowned.com/custom/clubfitting.aspx, how does this chart work? is it either or? https://imgur.com/xVQj97j

Also regarding lie angle, what I'm worried about is a lie angle fit to my needs, but isn't fit to my ideal swing/posture/bodybuild? I'm always looking to improve my swing, and I'd like to imagine my swing is decent (based on my short-termed over-inflated optimism hitting my last 9 holes 8/9 on regulation). So what would happen if my fitting shows a lie angle that may not be the lie angle that is appropriate for my ideal swing/posture/bodybuild?

Final question, I've been wanting to get an extra wedge in (currently have P, gap, SW) so a 60 degree, for those occasional shots that need to land super softly, I tried all sorts of bounce angles and clubs 52/56/60, and the high bounce clubs felt the best (12-14), from what I read, if you already dig into your shots a bit more (steep attack angle, my bad shots I sometimes chunk it a tiny bit more than I want to), high bounce works best. Here's where my confusion is: the high bounce clubs felt the best on the range mats, in what case do I know I WANT a low bounce wedge? (or which 52/56/60 should be 10 or below bounce?) For example: I've been working on my straight arm pitches with my gap wedge which i use often 30-60 yards, which would sweep the ball off the grass with a shallow attack angle, does that mean I want a low bounce instead on my gap wedge? but keep high bounce on SW and LW for sand and how they "felt" on the range mats? 

Thanks a lot for anyone that can help me with this matter, hope I worded things properly. Golf clubs do cost a bit and I hope I'm tossing money into correct decisions made!

8 minutes ago, Joseph Miau said:

Hi all, new forum member, hope I'm posting this in the right place, been really getting into golf this past half a year and been hovering around low 90's to very rare 88-89, and been wanting to get a fitting (last time I did I hardly knew anything about my golf swing, 3-4 years ago) Additional info if it helps (this is a titlist fitting) 

My first major question is I saw this site: http://www.customgolfstop.com/CustomFitting.htm and I can't seem to wrap my head around it, so my current clubs are I think +.5 inches and they feel great, and sometimes when I try my friends standard length club they just feel sooo short, I'm 6'4 and my wrist to floor measures to be 32.5 inches, based on the chart I should be hitting SHORTER than standard length?! Can anyone give some feedback on this? Or how does this chart work here: https://www.taylormadegolfpreowned.com/custom/clubfitting.aspx, how does this chart work? is it either or? https://imgur.com/xVQj97j

Also regarding lie angle, what I'm worried about is a lie angle fit to my needs, but isn't fit to my ideal swing/posture/bodybuild? I'm always looking to improve my swing, and I'd like to imagine my swing is decent (based on my short-termed over-inflated optimism hitting my last 9 holes 8/9 on regulation). So what would happen if my fitting shows a lie angle that may not be the lie angle that is appropriate for my ideal swing/posture/bodybuild?

Final question, I've been wanting to get an extra wedge in (currently have P, gap, SW) so a 60 degree, for those occasional shots that need to land super softly, I tried all sorts of bounce angles and clubs 52/56/60, and the high bounce clubs felt the best (12-14), from what I read, if you already dig into your shots a bit more (steep attack angle, my bad shots I sometimes chunk it a tiny bit more than I want to), high bounce works best. Here's where my confusion is: the high bounce clubs felt the best on the range mats, in what case do I know I WANT a low bounce wedge? (or which 52/56/60 should be 10 or below bounce?) For example: I've been working on my straight arm pitches with my gap wedge which i use often 30-60 yards, which would sweep the ball off the grass with a shallow attack angle, does that mean I want a low bounce instead on my gap wedge? but keep high bounce on SW and LW for sand and how they "felt" on the range mats? 

Thanks a lot for anyone that can help me with this matter, hope I worded things properly. Golf clubs do cost a bit and I hope I'm tossing money into correct decisions made!

Hello and welcome to TST. Honestly I wouldn’t put much thought into what a static fitting chart says. Since you’re taking the game more seriously I would get a current fitting as you are swinging now. Your height being 6’4 doesn’t take into account how you address the ball. Only a real fitting can determine what will work best for you. Don’t let what a chart says you should be hitting persuade you. 

You can also post a video of your swing in the ‘Members Swings’ forum and get some excellent advice. Cheers.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

19 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Hello and welcome to TST. Honestly I wouldn’t put much thought into what a static fitting chart says. Since you’re taking the game more seriously I would get a current fitting as you are swinging now. Your height being 6’4 doesn’t take into account how you address the ball. Only a real fitting can determine what will work best for you. Don’t let what a chart says you should be hitting persuade you. 

You can also post a video of your swing in the ‘Members Swings’ forum and get some excellent advice. Cheers.

My question would be how tall is your friend and what is his wrist to floor measurement? How do they compare. Just taking a friend's club in hand and pronouncing it too short is not very precise! He doesn't match you physiologically, nor does he match you in posture. That, of course, is a guess by me but I'd bet I'm right! 

Static charts are a start, but the golf swing is dynamic. I wouldn't depend too much on the charts except as a starting point. Get your length and loft numbers sorted out first, and then go for a "dynamic" lie fitting. This will test your swing for every iron in your bag. And the adjustments don't have to be much. I read an article where John Daly was being fitted for a new set of clubs. He was into hitting his short iron and wedges and sent a bunch of them back to the fitter. He told the runner, "Have the guy bend these 1/4* flat." The runner brought them out and Daly was just flushing them. He said, "Most amateurs don't know how much 1/4 of a degree in lie can help them!"

I recently had an iron fitting and did some manufacturer demo days. One fellow said I needed a standard length shaft, one said I needed a 1/4 inch longer shaft and one said I needed a 1/2 inch longer shaft so, when I found the clubs I liked, I split the difference and chose the 1/4 inch longer shafts. Same thing with the lie. One said I needed a standard lie angle, one said I needed a 1 inch up angle and one said I needed a 2 inch up angle so I again chose the middle option. The new clubs work great and are much better than the nut on the handle! :-D

Thanks everyone so far for the input and feedback everyone here is so friendly :D! I also need a some help on the bounce though, I feel stuck on choosing between low/mid/high. (As mentioned in the first post i had the best feedback from 12-14 high bounce clubs). 

5 hours ago, Joseph Miau said:

Thanks everyone so far for the input and feedback everyone here is so friendly :D! I also need a some help on the bounce though, I feel stuck on choosing between low/mid/high. (As mentioned in the first post i had the best feedback from 12-14 high bounce clubs). 

Wedges certainly are about feel. However with your wanting a 60* for lob shots I wouldn’t go by how you strike the ball on mats. Without really having some good time testing different bounce levels on actual playing conditions I’m thinking going with the higher bounces would suit you better. You could produce that high soft lob easier than trying to open up a lower bounce wedge.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

As far as length goes, if you're 6'4 and like the way 1/2 over feels, don't change it. Comfort is by far most important when it comes to length. As long as your short irons feel comfortable and your long irons don't feel unwieldy, that's what you want. 

For lie angle, go ahead and check it with the standard 1/2 over clubs and see how it looks. If it's just off by a degree or so, I would just play with it for a least a little if your swing is in fact in a state of flux.

Finally bounce. Most golfers will be better off with more bounce. I don't want to assume but taller golfers also usually have steeper AoAs so again more bounce. Bounce amounts kind of move in a bell curve on wedges with the 56 degree offering the highest bounce options. 52 degree often will only offer 1 or 2 options around 10 degrees. 60 will offer a low, mid, and high. From where it sounds like you are in your game, go with higher bounce. It's your friend!

16 hours ago, Joseph Miau said:

Hi all, new forum member,

I have chosen to play my wedges the following way.  My SW is 55* and has a high bounce.  I bought a 60* low bounce LW and use them for my specialty shots around the green depending on lie.  I can play either with the ball off my front foot and with the club opened up for increased loft.  On hard pan surfaces, I prefer the low bounce LW which I can use to essentially 'pick' the ball with a very small to non-existent divot.  When the ball is on a more fluffy lie, I use the high bounce SW.  Works for me.  Ideally experiment with the clubs a bit and see what works for you

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

• iacas changed the title to Wrist to Floor and Club Length Questions
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2019 at 8:10 PM, Vinsk said:

... Honestly I wouldn’t put much thought into what a static fitting chart says. Since you’re taking the game more seriously I would get a current fitting as you are swinging now. ...

Word from GolfWorks Academy: Wrist-to-floor is just a rough starting point for fitting a golfer for clubs. You do not want to cut shaft length or buy golf clubs based on w-t-f measurement.

Your posture at address and data from your swing motion are much better indicators of what shaft length and lie angle you need. You get this from an actual fitting with launch monitor data. 

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Note: This thread is 1845 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!