IGNORED

Slumping with one club?

jas80s
Note: This thread is 1771 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

All of a sudden, I find that I am having real trouble with a full swing wedge.  I just seem to be missing it all kinds of ways:  Blocks, fat, pulls, you name it; just can't seem to get dialed in.  Not that I am crushing it with every other club, but it's pretty much as I said in the subject:  It's like I am in a "one club" slump.  Has anyone encountered this?  I am guessing it's not uncommon, anything I can do besides hitting the range and just swinging until some confidence comes back?

Edited by jas80s

If you had asked me two months ago, I'd have told you I have a similar problem:  I can't hit a full swing with my wedge. 

My solution:  I don't.  Two months ago, if I needed 115 yards, I'd hit a full PW.  100 yards, a full UW.  And I probably had +/- 15 yard variance with them, not on purpose.

What I do now:  I don't hit them full swing.  If I need 115 yards, I flight a 9-iron.  100 yards, I flight a PW.  It isn't perfect, but there's a reason I have a double digit handicap. 

Check out this thread to see how to do it:

And then spend a bit of time practicing this at the range and maybe in a practice round or at a par-3 course, figure out what your distances are for these.   My hits with my short irons and wedges are now better, and my misses are better too.  

• Thumbs Up 2

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My "full swing" wedge is no more than 3/4's anything else.  I'd try backing off a bit.  Think about the spin, the trajectory, and where you want the ball to land...instead of  "what would go that far if I really hammered it?"  There is no need to maximize distance with irons and wedges...it's all about where the ball winds up.  

Next time you are at the range...hit some 3/4 wedges and short irons.  My guess is that your distances won't change much.  When the ball launches at an angle greater than 45 degrees it usually just goes higher...not farther.  

Anyway...we all have a club, or two, get away from us from time to time.  When that happens I go back to square one and walk it back out.

• Thumbs Up 2

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

I agree with @Shindig and @Piz. I rarely hit a full wedge other than a PW from the tee occasionally. Even then, a 3/4 9 will go about the same distance and be more accurate.

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I had the opposite problem. I could hit a full wedge, but had problems with anything less than full. Eventually my buddy clued me in to what I was doing wrong, and I've pretty much corrected the problem, but occasionally I get lazy! 

Seveal years ago, I had a full swing wedge problem. It lasted for three rounds. It got to where I was using longer clubs, with abbreviated swings for my full wedge distances. 

Finally, I just said "screw this" and golfed 54 holes with just my PW, SW, and putter. By the time I was done, my full swing wedge problem was gone. 

• Thumbs Up 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Note: This thread is 1771 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!