IGNORED

Super Game Improvement, Game Improvement, Players - Let's Talk Irons

Note: This thread is 1732 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If the goal is to score as low as possible and hit the BEST shots you can possibly hit than why isn't everyone using the most super game improvement models of irons available? Do SGI irons not allow you shape shots when you become better and learn how? Is it visual preference, some like the bigger looking irons while some like the smaller ones when addressing the ball, then this either gives them more or less confidence? Is it respect for the game we love, as in only using equipment up to a certain point of forgiveness or added distance improvement?

Is it something I didn't list here? Would love to hear all of your thoughts on this subject!

:titleist:

As players get better, most (though not all) prefer to have the ability to manipulate the ball.  The SGI irons generally have such a thick base and high launch, that you cannot hit different shots at will.  Draws and fades can be hit with most clubs.  What pro's and low handicap players want is the ability to hit a low or high trajectory shot with the same club

• Like 1

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Also while we are on this topic.....

Hollow irons vs Conventional CB/MB? Will hollow irons be the way of the future with the added forgiveness and distance? Pros and cons of them vs conventional, if any? If you are playing a hollow iron atm I would love to hear what you have to say about them!!

I was worried when I got my Ping G-400s that I wouldn't be able to hit the ball low if I wanted to.  Now it's a shot I can hit easily.  The real help was from @Golfingdad a few years ago when I was debating irons.

Ten years ago, I thought every good player should be playing blades or near-blades.  I played Mizuno MP-57s for about three years, as a 20 handicap or so, despite not really working on my full swing at the time (I was also in the "practice your short game primarily" camp).  What a waste of time I could have been improving and shooting lower scores. 

I don't foresee going to less forgiving clubs, unless maybe maybe if I get to low single digits, but maybe not even then.  My latest round I had .96 strokes gained vs scratch on approach.  Granted, some of that was hybrids and a fairway wood.  Now, that was particularly good, and not what I expect every time out or anything, but ... I don't see why I'd need less forgiving irons.

Especially if you're aiming #DeadCenter on greens.  

• Like 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

2 hours ago, ShawnSum said:

If the goal is to score as low as possible and hit the BEST shots you can possibly hit than why isn't everyone using the most super game improvement models of irons available?

For better players the are not as accurate as player irons. They also can be tough to have consistent trajectory. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I have recently moved to Srixon 585 irons. They are great. I hit them high and far. However, when I want to chip or take something off the shot it is hard to lower the trajectory or take just a little bit off. The ball always seem to come off the face hot.

3 minutes ago, criley4way said:

I have recently moved to Srixon 585 irons. They are great. I hit them high and far. However, when I want to chip or take something off the shot it is hard to lower the trajectory or take just a little bit off. The ball always seem to come off the face hot.

From what I've read about those irons, they are a forged body with a thin springy face so that makes sense I guess.

3 hours ago, ShawnSum said:

If the goal is to score as low as possible and hit the BEST shots you can possibly hit than why isn't everyone using the most super game improvement models of irons available?

It's not so much about "shaping" the shot. SGI irons are designed to help get the ball in the air. When you become a better player you want to hit shots that do different things.

For example - hybrids are awesome - but if you use them in the wind they can balloon like crazy. It's the same with SGI irons. They limit you if you don't need help getting the ball in the air.

More blade-like irons tend to be straighter but lose more distance on mishits. SGIs tend to lose less distance but be more off-line on mishits.

Colin P.

5 hours ago, ShawnSum said:

If the goal is to score as low as possible and hit the BEST shots you can possibly hit than why isn't everyone using the most super game improvement models of irons available? Do SGI irons not allow you shape shots when you become better and learn how? Is it visual preference, some like the bigger looking irons while some like the smaller ones when addressing the ball, then this either gives them more or less confidence? Is it respect for the game we love, as in only using equipment up to a certain point of forgiveness or added distance improvement?

Is it something I didn't list here? Would love to hear all of your thoughts on this subject!

I went with more of a players iron 3 years ago. The thing that sold me were the concepts of shot dispersion and variability in length. I call these "concepts" since they may be just sales hype. I was testing two sets of Ping irons and got the trackman data which showed that the Ping E1 irons had a tighter pattern than the G series. I had also read that the hot faces of the game improvement clubs can send a ball flying well past what was expected, I guess depending where exactly the ball hit on the club face. Now maybe this is all BS, IDK. But this is why I bought the E1s. 

Drawbacks on SGI irons:

SGI clubs have more metal in the heads. With SGI, I can't tell just how I hit it a shot until I see the ball coming down. With GI iron, I can tell at impact what kind of shot I have.

Also, stock SGI clubs tend to be paired with high-launch shafts. In short irons, the ball can balloon and cost you distance. An SGI head with mid-launch shaft can sometimes control for this.

On a well struck shot, SGI irons have more range dispersion than GI or Players clubs.

Working the ball: IF you understand how the golf swing works, you can hit a basic draw or fade with any golf club - even SGI. The limits you have with SGI irons is trying to flight the ball down. With the super-low center of gravity, it is difficult to hit lower shots. (Club designers suggest it works better for average golfer to take an extra club or two into the wind, rather than trying to flight the ball down).

SGI irons have lots of offset. I'm a bit handsy in my swing, so a touch of GI offset is all I need. Fitters tend to put me into GI irons with lighter shafts.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Maybe the goal for some (myself included) is improvement of self, not score. I grew up with cut down snead blue ridges. I play with a full set now, with added modern wedges. 3W 3i-Pw SSBR, off-brand 52, 56, and 60 wedges, and even the double sided SSBR putter. I figure if I can keep improving consistency in swing and contact, there is no reason to get new clubs, and no reason why my score won't improve. When I have hit with others GI or SGI clubs there is no feel, distance is spotty, and I just flat out didn't enjoy it. Just my 2c, but I'm sure there are others out there with similar experiences 

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

Note: This thread is 1732 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!