IGNORED

Club Gapping - What to Get?

Note: This thread is 1703 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello

Made some changes to my bag recently and now I need suggestions on what to get. 

Current WITB

Driver: Mizuno ST180 10.5°, Tensei CK Orange S flex

4 Hybrid: Cobra King F8 22°, Tensei CK Blue S Flex

5-PW: Mizuno JPX 900, Modus 3 105 S Flex

52,56,60: Taylormade High Toe, KBS HI-Rev 2.0

I need (or can) have 2 more clubs, I belive both of them should go between the driver and 4H, or possibly one between 4H and 5i. 

Im really struggeling on deciding what to go with, 3 Wood + 2 Hyb? 4 Wood + 4i? 2H + 3H? 

Im thinking about getting a matching ST180 3 Wood and possibly another F8 Hybrid (2H?). 

Distance gapping between 4H and 5i is about 25-30y. Driver to 4H about 60y. 

What would you get and why? What do you play? Can you hit a 4i and 3 Wood well?

What would be the first Club you buy in my position? 

Thank you! 

First look for something between your driver and 4 hybrid.  Something like a 4 or 5 wood or 2 hybrid according to which club you are more comfortable hitting.  Just pick a club that bridges the gap reasonably well and doesn't leave you needing another in between them, so leaving a 30 yard gap either way.  The second would be between the 4 hybrid and 5 iron, probably a 5 hybrid, if you can gap it to 15 yards either way.

If you struggle to get a club that fits in between those two, then you can select two clubs between the driver and 4 hybrid, so approximately 20 yard gaps each.  A 3 wood and then a 2/3 hybrid.

The most important thing is distance.

• Like 1

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Lukas Werner said:

Hello

Made some changes to my bag recently and now I need suggestions on what to get. 

Current WITB

Driver: Mizuno ST180 10.5°, Tensei CK Orange S flex

4 Hybrid: Cobra King F8 22°, Tensei CK Blue S Flex

5-PW: Mizuno JPX 900, Modus 3 105 S Flex

52,56,60: Taylormade High Toe, KBS HI-Rev 2.0

I need (or can) have 2 more clubs, I belive both of them should go between the driver and 4H, or possibly one between 4H and 5i. 

Im really struggeling on deciding what to go with, 3 Wood + 2 Hyb? 4 Wood + 4i? 2H + 3H? 

Im thinking about getting a matching ST180 3 Wood and possibly another F8 Hybrid (2H?). 

Distance gapping between 4H and 5i is about 25-30y. Driver to 4H about 60y. 

What would you get and why? What do you play? Can you hit a 4i and 3 Wood well?

What would be the first Club you buy in my position? 

Thank you! 

Why don't you list what your distances are for the various clubs and anything that may be important such as I hook my hybrid or love hitting my driver off the deck; strengths and weaknesses in your game, etc.

42 minutes ago, Carl3 said:

Why don't you list what your distances are for the various clubs and anything that may be important such as I hook my hybrid or love hitting my driver off the deck; strengths and weaknesses in your game, etc.

Driver 260y

4H 210y

5i 180y

I hit Driver off most par 5s, some par 4s (where im looking to find a Club such as a 3 Wood for those narrower fairways, instead of hitting 4H or 5i). I can play my 4H any where, Tight fairways, off the deck, in The rough, really like the Club.

A well struck shot has a straight, not to high flight. 

I want a Club for narrow par 5/4s off the tee and for some longer par 5s off the deck (3-5 Wood or a 2H). Not super confident with my driver yet. 

Some par 3s are hard to hit with a 5i, so sometimes I would like something between my 5i and 4h. 

But if im just buying one Club for now im looking for something off the tee, and longer par 5s off the deck and something of the tee on tighter par 4s. 

I really like hybrids but I kind of want a matchning 3 Wood, but im not super confident with the lenght and look of a Wood. 

• iacas changed the title to Club Gapping - What to Get?

I'd go with a 3, 4, or 5 wood.  There simply have to be holes on which a shot in the 220 range would be helpful...after a poor drive perhaps.  Bear in mind that it isn't the gaps so much as it is the shots one encounters.  If you never have to hit the ball 220...you don't need a club that averages 220.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

So, Im narrowing it down to what I actually need and would use.

Im thinking about getting either a 3 Wood or 2 Hybrid first, and then getting a 4i (and possibly replacing my 22 hybrid to 18).

I cant decide between the Mizuno ST180 and the Titleist 917 F2 for the 3 wood, compared to a 2H Cobra F8/9, what would you pick?

And when it comes to the 4i, should I match it with my current irons (JPX 900 Hot Metals) or go for something designed for more length such as the Mizuno MMC Fli-High (4i) or maby a titelest T-MB or a TM GAPR Mid?? 

Thank you! :)

16 hours ago, Lukas Werner said:

possibly one between 4H and 5i.

Maybe a 5H? and a 3H? Best, -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

Check out the Taylormade High Launch 3W. It's 16.5* and should fit between your driver and 4H. Koepka plays (or used to play) the M2 version. I'm not sure if the newer M3, M4, M5, or M6 Have a HL version.

You can get that TM M2 HL 3W for under $100 on ebay.  I paid $89 including shipping. I like it on the range so far, but have not played with it due to recent surgery.

War Eagle!

• 5 weeks later...

I don't know if the OP has made a decision yet.

I would start with a fairway between 15-18 degrees, with a 16-17 being a good candidate.  Because you seem to like your 22* hybrid, I think I would keep it, and add another hybrid or utility iron between it and your 5 iron. For this slot especially, try to hit some shots using your own golf balls-find a place that has demos you can rent or whatever. Don't worry about the stated loft on this one; just find a club that fills that gap.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

For what it's worth, I have a 3 hybrid that I can hit about 230 off the tee and its perfect for finding tight fairways and on holes where there is something that forces hitting less than driver.  I like the hybrid aspect more than the fairway wood because you can hit them out of the rough better and for me its a more consistent swing.

I use a 3W and 5W between my driver and my 4 Hybrid but then again I don't hit that far anymore. My drives are about 220, my 3W is 190, my 5W is 170, 4H 150 and on down. I use my 3W off the tee on tight fairways. My 3W and 5W for my second shots on par 4s and 5s depending. I use a Cobra driver and fairway metals, love them. I've tried other brands but I don't hit anything like my Cobras. I use Cleveland Launcher HB for my irons, I need all the forgiveness I can get.

Note: This thread is 1703 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!