IGNORED

Broken Shafts at the Hosel - Taylormade M4

Note: This thread is 1351 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey Guys,

New to the forum, and relatively new at golf.  I've read through a few older posts regarding this issue and was hoping to get more insight.  Any help would be much appreciated!

I've been playing for almost a year now, and can without a doubt admit that I have the bug!  I usually play 18 at least once a week, and sometimes will sneak in 9.  About 4 months ago I finally ponied up and purchased a Taylormade M4 D Type Driver.  I was fit by one of the guys at Golf Galaxy who seemed relatively knowledgeable.  He ended up suggesting that I go with a stiff shaft as my swing speed was clocking at about 110.  I had done some research prior to going into the store, and read that swing speed was on the cusp of being "stiff worthy", but I took the fitters advice because I was certain he knew more than me and I was excited to be buying my first driver.

The driver seemed to work well for awhile.  I hit some decent shots, and hit some not so decent shots, but everything seemed to be "normal" for my newness to the game.  A couple weeks ago is when the problems started happening. Tee'd off on the 14th and my ball went 25 yards to the left, and the head on my driver ended up about 10 yards behind it.  It had snapped right above the adapter piece at the bottom of the shaft (picture attached).  I was shocked but thought it was a fluke and got a replacement from Golf Galaxy the next week. 

This past weekend marks the 4th time this has happened.  I've had it fixed by the guys at Golf Galaxy and once by the guy at my local Dick's Sporting Goods.  Thought I may have been hitting the ground prior to hitting the ball, but the guys I play with have confirmed I'm hitting ball first.  Each time it's broken it's felt the best contact I've had all day and feels like I'm hitting the face square...then I see my head flying off down the fairway.

Just a few stats...it was the fujikura atmos red shaft first, which I believe is 55g, and the next 3 have been the fujikura atmos orange which I think is also 55g.   Just a little about me, I'm 26, about 6'2 230, and in fairly decent shape.

Is my shaft too stiff?  Not stiff enough?  I've played baseball my whole life so my swing does have a little torque to it, but I know there are tons of guys that come from a baseball background and don't have this problem.  Any ideas?   Thanks in advance!

-Trey

IMG_0563.JPG

6 hours ago, trizzgetsbizz said:

Hey Guys,

New to the forum, and relatively new at golf.  I've read through a few older posts regarding this issue and was hoping to get more insight.  Any help would be much appreciated!

I've been playing for almost a year now, and can without a doubt admit that I have the bug!  I usually play 18 at least once a week, and sometimes will sneak in 9.  About 4 months ago I finally ponied up and purchased a Taylormade M4 D Type Driver.  I was fit by one of the guys at Golf Galaxy who seemed relatively knowledgeable.  He ended up suggesting that I go with a stiff shaft as my swing speed was clocking at about 110.  I had done some research prior to going into the store, and read that swing speed was on the cusp of being "stiff worthy", but I took the fitters advice because I was certain he knew more than me and I was excited to be buying my first driver.

The driver seemed to work well for awhile.  I hit some decent shots, and hit some not so decent shots, but everything seemed to be "normal" for my newness to the game.  A couple weeks ago is when the problems started happening. Tee'd off on the 14th and my ball went 25 yards to the left, and the head on my driver ended up about 10 yards behind it.  It had snapped right above the adapter piece at the bottom of the shaft (picture attached).  I was shocked but thought it was a fluke and got a replacement from Golf Galaxy the next week. 

This past weekend marks the 4th time this has happened.  I've had it fixed by the guys at Golf Galaxy and once by the guy at my local Dick's Sporting Goods.  Thought I may have been hitting the ground prior to hitting the ball, but the guys I play with have confirmed I'm hitting ball first.  Each time it's broken it's felt the best contact I've had all day and feels like I'm hitting the face square...then I see my head flying off down the fairway.

Just a few stats...it was the fujikura atmos red shaft first, which I believe is 55g, and the next 3 have been the fujikura atmos orange which I think is also 55g.   Just a little about me, I'm 26, about 6'2 230, and in fairly decent shape.

Is my shaft too stiff?  Not stiff enough?  I've played baseball my whole life so my swing does have a little torque to it, but I know there are tons of guys that come from a baseball background and don't have this problem.  Any ideas?   Thanks in advance!

-Trey

IMG_0563.JPG

Seems like a very light shaft for your swing speed. I play a 63g regular and my SS is around 93. I would try out some heavier shafts at Golf Galaxy and see what works.

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would demand a new driver, this should not happen. I don't have a 110 swing speed but look at the pro's and they aren't breaking shafts. Regular or stiff make no difference. All of us hit the ground once in a while and shafts should not break, period. I don't know what is wrong with the club but this should not be happening. Good luck

I'm thinking that since the head is common element that there might be a bit of a sharp edge inside the hosel, nicking the shafts, and causing them to snap.  I think I would be insisting on a new head.  This shouldn't happen, or at least not with regularity.

I had this problem when I first started, broke nearly every graphite shafted club in my bag...3 in one range session once, nearly back to back.

The common factor for me was swinging too hard and mishits on the hosel. Even if it was previously hit on the hosel and then I hit a well placed ball on the club face it was still breaking. As i got better and moved from hosel mishits to toe, upper face mishits the problem went away

However, i just noticed a crack in the metal at the base of the clubface in my driver the other day...still hits fine for now but I'll probably get a new one soon.

• Like 1

Driver  -  Tour Edge Max D-45
3W -  Pinemeadows Command
3h - SW - Jack Nicklaus V-MAX hybrids & irons
64d Pinemeadows Pre wedge

18 hours ago, trizzgetsbizz said:

Each time it's broken it's felt the best contact I've had all day and feels like I'm hitting the face square...then I see my head flying off down the fairway.

It's not the swing that "breaks the camel's back" that's the problem, but all the minor damage done to it on previous misses. I'm guessing you tend to miss pretty far towards the hosel with a faster swing speed - puts extra stress on the shaft. I've broken three driver shafts in the past and they've all been when my primary miss was towards the heel.

9 hours ago, cooke119 said:

Regular or stiff make no difference.

Actually, it does. Stiffer shafts have more layers of graphite.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

12 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Seems like a very light shaft for your swing speed. I play a 63g regular and my SS is around 93. I would try out some heavier shafts at Golf Galaxy and see what works.

12 hours ago, boogielicious said:

That’s a great idea.  Thanks for the suggestion. I didn’t think about that initially but now that you say that it does seem kinda light. I was fitted for stiff irons and the guy that helped me suggested I swing something a little heavier. Maybe I should follow suit in my driver! 

10 hours ago, cooke119 said:

I would demand a new driver, this should not happen. I don't have a 110 swing speed but look at the pro's and they aren't breaking shafts. Regular or stiff make no difference. All of us hit the ground once in a while and shafts should not break, period. I don't know what is wrong with the club but this should not be happening. Good luck

Thanks, Cooke! Good point. I think I may give Taylormade a call and see if they will do something for me. 

9 hours ago, jlbos83 said:

I'm thinking that since the head is common element that there might be a bit of a sharp edge inside the hosel, nicking the shafts, and causing them to snap.  I think I would be insisting on a new head.  This shouldn't happen, or at least not with regularity.

I'm starting to think so too.  Breaking it once that way is one thing.  But 4 times...seems odd.  Especially since it was replaced at 2 different locations.

6 hours ago, bankquant said:

I had this problem when I first started, broke nearly every graphite shafted club in my bag...3 in one range session once, nearly back to back.

The common factor for me was swinging too hard and mishits on the hosel. Even if it was previously hit on the hosel and then I hit a well placed ball on the club face it was still breaking. As i got better and moved from hosel mishits to toe, upper face mishits the problem went away

However, i just noticed a crack in the metal at the base of the clubface in my driver the other day...still hits fine for now but I'll probably get a new one soon.

4 hours ago, billchao said:

It's not the swing that "breaks the camel's back" that's the problem, but all the minor damage done to it on previous misses. I'm guessing you tend to miss pretty far towards the hosel with a faster swing speed - puts extra stress on the shaft. I've broken three driver shafts in the past and they've all been when my primary miss was towards the heel.

Hitting the heel a time too many is definitely possible.  I'm sure I've hit some there, but I couldn't say how many.  Looking at the face, it doesn't look too bad, but I could be wrong.  I'll upload a picture tomorrow and see what you guys think.  Should I try moving further away from the ball at address?  I'm guessing that if that is what's happening, the clubhead is coming through the zone, and my arms are outstretched to the point where the heel is squaring up with the ball rather than the sweet spot?  I've just started taking some lessons as well, so if it is a swing flaw, hopefully I can get rid of it sooner than later! 🙂

• iacas changed the title to Broken Shafts at the Hosel - Taylormade M4
(edited)

Sorry for the delay.  Here's a picture of my club face.  I talked to rep at Taylormade today and he suggested that I take it back to Golf Galaxy or Dick's and request that they give me the Atmos black shaft.  Apparently the tip on that shaft is more durable?  He asked me what my swing speed was and I told him 110 and he straight up told me that the Atmos red isn't made for that... Guess I'll give that a try!

IMG_0672.jpg

On 8/15/2019 at 6:30 PM, billchao said:

On 8/15/2019 at 5:04 PM, bankquant said:

Edited by trizzgetsbizz
Meant to quote previous responses.

• 9 months later...
(edited)

Hey guys,

Just thought I'd post a quick update in the hopes that it could help someone else that has experienced this.  Turns out, ya'll were spot on (thank you!!!). I've found that a combination of an over the top move, crowding the ball at address, were the culprits.  I've made some adjustments, (squaring up my shoulders, moving away from the ball, and really working hard not to come over the top) and as a result I've hit some really good looking drives!  Still the occasional push and/or slice, but have found the middle of the face a TON more.  For anyone reading this, keep at it!  It WILL come if you work for it.  Hoping to hit some fairways and post my lowest score soon!

Cheers!

-Trizz

Edited by trizzgetsbizz
Addition
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

My first set of golf clubs had graphite shafts and the exact thing happened to them.  The clubhead went flying about 40 yards down the fairway on a par 3.  After 3 of them snapped I finally said screw it and switched to steel shafts.

• 1 month later...

We are having the same problem with an M2 with Fujikura PRO stiff shaft from Dick's.  My son, whose average switch speed is like 115 (he's a big baseball player) busted the shaft above the hosel his first trip out with the club.  Dick's allowed us to return it, and I paid an extra 100 to get the M6, with Fujikura ATMOS Orange Stiff shaft.  I hit about 10 balls, no problem.  My son started hitting balls, and broke the shaft on the new club on the 3rd swing.  Took it back to Dick's and got into a big argument with them because they did not want to return it.  During the conversation, the Dick's "pro" at the golf counter said that the atmos shafts on these M2 and M6 clubs were crap and broke frequently (so why did he recommend those clubs to us?).  They agreed to take it back and have TaylorMade put a new "BLUE"? stiff shaft, thy use on the new SIM club, which they said was better.  Who knows?  I noticed on ebay you can get Callaway and TaylorMade hoseled steel shafts for like $100.  I might invest in some of those.  It's pretty ridiculous that a shaft breaks so easily on a $350 club and that Dick's is selling this crap, then not standing behind the products they sell.  Total rip off.

On 8/9/2020 at 2:51 PM, symes said:

We are having the same problem with an M2 with Fujikura PRO stiff shaft from Dick's.  My son, whose average switch speed is like 115 (he's a big baseball player) busted the shaft above the hosel his first trip out with the club.  Dick's allowed us to return it, and I paid an extra 100 to get the M6, with Fujikura ATMOS Orange Stiff shaft.  I hit about 10 balls, no problem.  My son started hitting balls, and broke the shaft on the new club on the 3rd swing.  Took it back to Dick's and got into a big argument with them because they did not want to return it.  During the conversation, the Dick's "pro" at the golf counter said that the atmos shafts on these M2 and M6 clubs were crap and broke frequently (so why did he recommend those clubs to us?).  They agreed to take it back and have TaylorMade put a new "BLUE"? stiff shaft, thy use on the new SIM club, which they said was better.  Who knows?  I noticed on ebay you can get Callaway and TaylorMade hoseled steel shafts for like $100.  I might invest in some of those.  It's pretty ridiculous that a shaft breaks so easily on a $350 club and that Dick's is selling this crap, then not standing behind the products they sell.  Total rip off.

I feel your frustration, and hate you guys are having to go through that! In my opinion those shafts are absolutely terrible. The slightest over the top move and your doomed. 

Since my whole debacle, I’ve shortened my driver and it has given me a lot more confidence and helped me find the middle of the club face a lot more often. EBay has been great for that and pretty inexpensive ($30-50$). A lot of guys will sell shafts with the adapter so it’s just an easy switch with the key. I went with a fairway wood length so it’s playing probably around 44 to 44.25 but it’s been pretty solid. I’m guessing the M2 probably plays around 45.5 or .75 or so?

My brother in law swears by steel driver shafts and won’t use anything else.  He’s also a former collegiate baseball player. It’s definitely worth looking into if your son is ok with being different! Good luck! 

The light weight graphite shaft would not stand the abuse from mishit as well as the heavier counterparts.  From your picture, you had been contacting toward the heel and high over the top line.   Being lightweight the wall of the shaft will be thinner.  The nano coating on the finishing will not hold the layers of graphite together as the extra layer of graphite would.

For the golfers with higher swing speed should always look for a heavier shaft over 60-65 gm in weight.  Going XS flex will get closer because the XS flex usually made for a higher swing speed.

Another solution is look into the higher end of the light weight driver shaft, they are made with better material and quality control than the stock shafts ( even with the same logo on the shaft ).   There is a reason why the after market shaft cost 3-4 times more than the stock shaft.

And I don't understand why they fitted you into that sub 60 gm stiff flex shaft.  You should look into either XS flex ( 60-65 gm ) or 65-70 gm in stiff flex.  

Edited by Release

On 8/14/2019 at 11:54 PM, trizzgetsbizz said:

Any ideas?   Thanks in advance!

Clearly, Trey. You need to pee in a cup. 

Are you also getting unexplained acne? Is your hat size increasing? Are you suffering from sudden hair loss? .....

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Note: This thread is 1351 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!