IGNORED

Akshay Bhatia Topic

iacas
Note: This thread is 1656 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

4 hours ago, ncates00 said:

With respect to only a career in golf and not a "backup plan" in another career, what about going to college and having to take classes and spend so much time away from the course would be better for him?  I know he would likely take fluff classes, but still.  What about playing in college would help him more?  We say all the time to play with better players than yourself so that you can learn and watch how a better player does it.  Why, with his talent, waste time doing the college thing?  I don't understand what a college coach/fellow teammates is going to impart on him that he can't get going right in.  I'd say if he does these things, he'd be better off than going to college:

- get a good swing coach he believes in.

- get a launch monitor to maintain/develop his numbers and feel.

- get a good "manager" to deal with sponsorships and the like. 

- workout and train/recover like an athlete.

- treat this like a job and put in the long hours required.***

- probably other things I've not thought of.

*** in this respect, he has a huge upside over college golfer.  If he gets up at 5m and goes to work all day, he could really develop and do so possibly more quickly than he would have as a college golfer.

3 hours ago, Vinsk said:

He wouldn’t be pre-Med or pre-Law. Like you said, fluff courses. He would have plenty of time to be on the course. College isn’t what it used to be. 

I was thinking more along the lines of a few more years of high level collegiate/amateur golf.  

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I was thinking of learning to live on his own (or closer to it), plan his day without someone doing it for him, learn when to practice, and when to lay off.  There are college players as good or better than he is, on any given day.  His stats (in a previous post) show that he still has plenty to learn.  I'm a bit concerned that going all in at 17 could be asking for burnout at 20.

The other thing that I was thinking is that a lot of golf is confidence, and between the ears.  What happens if he can't make a cut? Can't get into tournaments?  It would seem that every week the confidence goes down, just making it harder to move forward.

All my skepticism aside, I wish him well. 

7 hours ago, Vinsk said:

I do think it’d be nice to see someone come out and explode again. It’s a lot to wish for being the field today. I don’t think Akshay is the one, but I’m ready for another Tiger to emerge....no @colin007...I’m not done with Tiger yet...just know the clock is ticking.

Celine Dion - My Heart Will Go On

• Like 1

Colin P.

They young man is a golfer.  There are many good things to learn and experience in college but he has chosen the OJT road. Hopefully it works for him. 

I recently played with a young guy that graduated from an SEC school, after a good college career. He really said college golf taught him a lot, and the whole college experience was invaluable. He said that, knowing what he knows now, he wouldn't pass up college. He also said everyone is different, and going pro might be a good choice for someone else.

Note: This thread is 1656 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!