IGNORED

How Many Wedges Do You Carry?

How many wedges do you carry?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. How many wedges do you carry?

• 0 - What's a wedge?
    • 1 - I have my trusty Niblick and that's all I need.
    • 2 - Doesn't matter which two, but you'd think it would be PW and SW
    • 3 - Very common set up through the 80's and 90's.
    • 4 - Its good to have options
    • 5 - More options or is it because your PW is so delofted you had to stick in another gap wedge?
    • 6 or more - If you answer this, you'd better explain why.

Originally Posted by Gary

FML

After starting this thread,the next day I lost my Taylormade xft wedge 56 at the range........... I am heart broken

I phoned lost and found but no luck.....

I feel your pain.Β  Long ago I lost/left a duplicate of my current wedge on a course.Β  After years of searching, I found my current wedge in a used bin.

Funny but not surprising, if you leave a 2 iron or an 8 iron, you will probably get it back.Β  A wedge--usually no chance.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 SΒ Β Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;Β Β Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts-Β TT AMT Red S300Β ;Β WedgesΒ Vokey SM8Β 56-10DΒ Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5Β Β Ball:Β Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I left my 60* on the 18th hole earlier this fall...called the course to ask if they had it and they did. Scariest and most relieved moments of my life when I realized I lost it.

Waiting out the 2 feet of snow that just dropped on the course....

I have about 6000 wedges in my garage, in my man cave, in the living room, in my work van.......Vokey's, Raven's, Integras, Clevelands, Mizunos, Top Flite's....I need help..Β  But in my bag, I have:

R9 PW and AW

Raven forged 56*

Integra Soft cast 60*

Taylor Made:

PW 45Β°

AW 50Β°

SW 55Β°

For discussion ... I'm curious for the guys that carry 4 or 5 wedges ... what other clubs are you sacrificing to carry theΒ extra wedges ?Β Β Β Β Β  Β I have a hard enough time finding room for 3 wedges (in addition to the 3 wedges I mentioned above ... I carryΒ 4-9 irons, 1 hybrid,Β 5 wood, niblick, putter & driver) ?

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

I voted 3.Β  I have a PW and a GW which are part of my AP-2 set. and the PW is mostly just a short iron.Β  The only ones I use as greenside "wedges" are my 51 GW, and 54 and 56 SW's.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I've been playing a PW (48), 52, 56 and 60 for as long as I can remember. Β All Vokeys for the last few bags.

I'd like to add a strong 3 wood, and I think next time around I'll play around with a 53 and 58 combo. Β A majority of my greenside shots are played with a PW or 52.

In the Bag: TaylorMadeΒ R11 TPΒ - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - VokeyΒ SM 52Β -Β Vokey SM 60Β - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1xΒ 

On the Computer: Β Analyzr ProΒ 
Β 

Originally Posted by inthehole

For discussion ... I'm curious for the guys that carry 4 or 5 wedges ... what other clubs are you sacrificing to carry theΒ extra wedges ?Β Β Β Β Β  Β I have a hard enough time finding room for 3 wedges (in addition to the 3 wedges I mentioned above ... I carryΒ 4-9 irons, 1 hybrid,Β 5 wood, niblick, putter & driver) ?

Driver, 3w, 19* hybrid, 4-9, pw, aw, sw, gw.

If by niblick you mean a chipper, that is the most obsolete club currently in production by far. I'd much rather have a wedge over a 42* putter.

Waiting out the 2 feet of snow that just dropped on the course....

4 Wedges:

• 48ΒΊ Nike Slingshot OSS PW: Used for 130-150 yard shots depending on wind conditions.
  • 50ΒΊ Cleveland CG14: Used for 115-130 yard shots depending on wind conditions .
  • 54ΒΊ Cleveland CG14: Used for 100-115 yard shots depending on wind conditions .
  • 58ΒΊ Cleveland CG14: Used for all shots inside 100 yards. Chipping, pitching, bump-and-runs, bunker shots, flop shots, hookΒ shots, bank shotsΒ off of port-o-potties. ALL shots inside of 100 yards.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 9ΒΊ
2 Hybrid: Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood
Irons: Nike Slingshot OSS 6-3 iron
Β  Β  Β  Β  Β Β Taylormade Tour Preferred PW-7 iron
Wedges: Cleveland CG14 50ΒΊ, 54ΒΊ
Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β Β Taylormade RAC 58ΒΊ
Putter:Β Ping Darby 32" shaft

Β 

Originally Posted by CassinoNorth

Quote:

Originally Posted by inthehole

Driver, 3w, 19* hybrid, 4-9, pw, aw, sw, gw.

If by niblick you mean a chipper, that is the most obsolete club currently in production by far. I'd much rather have a wedge over a 42* putter.

watch it bub ... don't be dissin' my niblick It's an awesome club ... so much more reliable than a putter from the long fringe.Β Β Β Β Β  BTW, niblick sounds so much more respectable than chipper, doncha think Β ...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

No reason to knock the Niblick-utility wedges, irons, and woods have been around for over 100 years. Β The current Niblick is actually very versatile. Β I agree it's probably not worth it if you're a single digit 'capper, or your wedge/chipping game is your strong suit-but I'd recommend the Niblick to nearly every bogey golfer over the 60* LW they all seem to carry.

I've got a bunch of wedges, what I use depends on which irons I'm using and the course I'm playing.

Pitching wedges from my iron sets-

Mizuno MX-200 45*

MacGregor MT Pro-CM 47*

Nike Forged Pro Combo 47*

Titleist Tour Model Blades 49*

Along with Adams TW PVD 52/7*, Vokey SM 52/8*, Adams TW Classic 54/10*, Adams TW PVD 56/13*, MacGregor MT Pro DW 58/10*, Adams TW PVD 60/7*

Played 4 wedges for a long, long time.Β  Then discovered the versatility of the 54 degree wedge and now play only 3 wedges: PW, 54, & 60Β Β  This allows me to carry a 3 iron as well as a rescue wood,Β plus a 14 degree 3 wood and driver, which fits the courses I play most.Β  Thought I would miss the 4 wedge set-up, but the 3 wedge approach has worked very well.

RC

Β 

I have a 47Β°,Β  52Β°, 56Β°, and 62Β° all Titleist the last three are Vokeys. They all have important roles in my bag and they all get hit quite often.

DannyΒ  Β  In my :ping:Β Hoofer Tour golf bag on myΒ :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:Β Β Β :pxg:Β 0311 Gen 5Β  X-Stiff.Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β Β Irons:Β Β :callaway:Β 4-PW APEX TCB IronsΒ 
3Β Wood:Β :callaway:Β MavrikΒ SZ RogueΒ X-StiffΒ  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter:Β :odyssey:Β Β 2-Ball Ten Arm LockΒ  Β  Β  Β Β Ball:Β :titleist: ProV 1

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

43 degree PW, 48 degree gapper, 53 degree sandy, 58 degree lob wedge

PW is part of my S2 forged set, 48 and 58 are CG15s, 53 is a Mizuno T-series from 2008 - great club

What's in my TaylorMade stand bag:
taylormade.gifSuperfast TP 10.5Β° Matrix HD6 graphite stiff shaft
nike.gifSasQuatch 2 Steel #3 Wood: 15Β° Diamana SasQuatch Graphite
cobra.gifBaffler DWS Hybrid Utility Woods: 3/R 20Β°
cobra.gifS2 Forged irons 4-PW stiff flex steel shaftcleveland.gifCG15 satin chrome 48Β° gap wedge 8 bouncemizuno.gifMP T Series chrome 53Β° sand...cleveland.gifnike.gifbridgestone.giftaylormade.gif

PW, AW, GW, SW and LW

ISLAND PAR

In my Mizuno Bag:
TBD, MacGregor 4W(16*), 3H(20*),4H(23*), 5H(26*) Mizuno MX-900 6-PWAdams Watson 2010 Wedges (GW, SW, LW),Ping Wolverine Putter "But I thought you meant these golfers from our club when you said you needed SANDBAGGERS to help with the flood...

Originally Posted by Gerald

I am quite surprised that the current standing is that over 50% use 4 wedges as this subject has been around here many, many, many, times and a lot of golfers actually went back from 4 wedges (including the set's PW) to 3 wedges (including the set's PW).

I agree that having 4 or even 5 wedges means having a lot of options ...... butt for me it is much safer to chip a 9i close than hitting a flopshot or a high pitch when I am 10 yards off ...... So I only use 3 wedges 47* PW - 52* GAP - 58* SW/LW mix.

From the bunker I use both the 52 or 58, depending on distance and sand condition. The 58 is also great from the rough .....

The less options, the more control is my 2 cents.

I agree. I've experimented with a 60* and it can be a useful club. But I found I simply didn't use it that much. I get more use out of carrying an extra wood. So I use 46, 52 and 56 degree wedges.

Β Sub 70 849Β 9* driver

:callaway:Β Β Rogue 3 & 5 woods, Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids

:tmade:Β SIM 2 6-gap irons

:cobra:Β Β King snakebite grove wedges 52 & 58*

Β :ping:Β Heppler ZB3 putter

Β 

Β 

I carry 3.

Titleist AP2 PW (47*)

Vokey 54.11

Vokey 58.08

I'd like the 54.11 to go a bit further. At the moment, my PW is 120 yards, my 54.11 is about 95 and the 58.08 is about 83. If I could get a few more yards out of that club, it'd be much easier for my distance gaps. That's also the reason why I'm contemplating buying a 48* Vokey with my next set of iron or weaken the loft the PW by 1/2 degrees.

My PW is more of the fairway club, I use it for low pitch shots up a ridge or full swing / punch shots. My 54 / 58 are both very versatile even though the 58 gets the majority of the use.

I use it mainly on greenside shots (I guess I can only blame myself for shortsiding me) and pitch shots, chip shots that I want to spin.