IGNORED

Right Wrist Pain

Note: This thread is 1572 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Take a lot of time off to heal.  I know it's not what you want to hear, but you don't want to make it worse or keep the pain long-term.  Do other things that don't hurt your wrist/rests the wrist.  

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Since the OP didn't specify the amount of pain, or what is causing it, my best swing thought is, don't swing a golf club. At least until you know what's causing the pain. 

Go see a medical doctor instead, and find out what's actually wrong. What's causing the pain. Without knowing the root problem, swinging a golf club could make things worse. 

I have low-mid grade left wrist pain, but I also know precisely why it hurts. My swing compensation is to not take jarring divots with my irons. Maybe just a thin brush cut on the turf in front of the ball. Most of the time I just pick the ball clean off the turf. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

2 hours ago, Sandhills Golfe said:

What are good swing strategies to deal with wrist pain, specifically right wrist for a rightie golfer. What are good swing thoughts while having a limited range of motion in the right wrist?

What motion(s) cause you pain in your right wrist? Did you have a specific injury? How long has this bothered you? What have you done so far as treatment to this point?

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

(edited)
10 hours ago, Patch said:

Since the OP didn't specify the amount of pain, or what is causing it, my best swing thought is, don't swing a golf club. At least until you know what's causing the pain. 

Go see a medical doctor instead, and find out what's actually wrong. What's causing the pain. Without knowing the root problem, swinging a golf club could make things worse. 

I have low-mid grade left wrist pain, but I also know precisely why it hurts. My swing compensation is to not take jarring divots with my irons. Maybe just a thin brush cut on the turf in front of the ball. Most of the time I just pick the ball clean off the turf. 

I've had wrist pain on and off for 15 years. It started by overuse of the mouse on a computer. I tend to practice a lot too. Picking it is a good idea. I was thinking of hitting more shallow punch shots. 

9 hours ago, Vinsk said:

What motion(s) cause you pain in your right wrist? Did you have a specific injury? How long has this bothered you? What have you done so far as treatment to this point?

Just answered some of your questions. Cocking the wrists hurt the most. I've taken advil and use ice. I was wondering if KT would help?

Edited by Sandhills Golfe

15 minutes ago, Sandhills Golfe said:

I've had wrist pain on and off for 15 years. It started by overuse of the mouse on a computer. I tend to practice a lot too. Picking it is a good idea. I was thinking of hitting more shallow punch shots. 

Just answered some of your questions. Cocking the wrists hurt the most. I've taken advil and use ice. I was wondering if KT would help?

It would be best to get an actual diagnosis before you experiment with treatments. If you grip your thumb with your fingers...left hand let’s say, so that your thumb is across your palm with your fingers wrapped on top  then flex your wrist downward: if you generate pain along the top side ( radial side) of wrist from the base of your thumb and further down, you may have De Quervain Syndrome. It may be just a case of tendonosis/itis. Steroid injection, splinting, NSAIDS or all may be involved. I’d recommend you get some imaging done and/or see an orthopedic doc for a diagnosis. I’m a family medicine doctor and do urgent care. Just my two cents...fwiw.😀

• Like 2

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

25 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

It would be best to get an actual diagnosis before you experiment with treatments. If you grip your thumb with your fingers...left hand let’s say, so that your thumb is across your palm with your fingers wrapped on top  then flex your wrist downward: if you generate pain along the top side ( radial side) of wrist from the base of your thumb and further down, you may have De Quervain Syndrome. It may be just a case of tendonosis/itis. Steroid injection, splinting, NSAIDS or all may be involved. I’d recommend you get some imaging done and/or see an orthopedic doc for a diagnosis. I’m a family medicine doctor and do urgent care. Just my two cents...fwiw.😀

My wife is a FNP.  She does wound care.  Don't know how ya'll do what ya'll do haha.

• Like 1

I had De Quervain on my right wrist for years and that pain was so severe that I couldn’t even hold my toothbrush, let alone a golf club! Steroid injection was the only thing that worked for me, until my dad (an orthopedic surgeon) said to stop doing what was irritating that tendon. That worked. So now, as soon as I feel pain in my wrist, I stop. I also wear a wrist splint when I sleep at night. Gotta take care of that wrist if you want to play golf for a few more years - go see a doctor!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Sandhills Golfe said:

What are good swing strategies to deal with wrist pain, specifically right wrist for a rightie golfer. What are good swing thoughts while having a limited range of motion in the right wrist?

When I took up golfing again late last year I hit one so fat with a wedge I think I came close to striking oil. Hurt my right wrist (rightie) badly. For several months after that my swing thought was, "Ouch, ouch, ouch!". I recommend listening to @Vinsk. I think he knows whereof he speaks.

• iacas changed the title to Right Wrist Pain
  • 1 month later...
Note: This thread is 1572 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!