IGNORED

Indoor Putting Practice

Scmelik
Note: This thread is 1633 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This winter I really want to put sometime and focus on my putting but I’m not sure how to go about it. 

what are some drills to do in a small apartment that will be the most beneficial come spring when I can get back outside?  I’ve seen a few things about working on hitting spots (coins on the floor or other balls etc.), but my kitchen and bathroom are tile and my living room and bedroom are shaggy carpet, neither surface allow for the ball to stay on the intended path for more than a few inches at a time. Does it matter? Any other drills?

Go to a hardware store and purchase a 3 yard metal yard stick with a hole at one end.   Practice putting the length of it. 

• Like 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

16 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

Go to a hardware store and purchase a 3 yard metal yard stick with a hole at one end.   Practice putting the length of it. 

This is the best advice. Let's you practice setup, aim and stroke. Make sure you get a really narrow one like this. If your floor is not perfectly level you can shim it up using business cards or playing cards. 

“You don't have the game you played last year or last week. You only have today's game. It may be far from your best, but that's all you've got. Harden your heart and make the best of it.”

~ Walter Hagen

I just brought my putting mat to the ski cabin in preparation for winter practicing and the whole place is tiled. I felt fine putting on the mat on tiles but my husband wanted a perfectly flat surface, so he bought a piece of thin plywood to put under the mat. 

• Like 1

Putting on level carpeted area. Lay a quarter, dime, nickle, or penny on the carpet, 18"-24" in front of the ball. Then putt/roll the ball over the coin. 

If you can consistently hit the coin, that tells you that your set up, and stroke are allowing you to roll a straight putt on your chosen line. All putts are straight putts to a point, not necessarily the hole. 

Advanced RV, indoor putting. If you are RVing, and your rig has hydraulic levelers, you can creat your own,  breaking, practice putts, while still using a coin. Just about anything you can think of can be practiced. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

18 minutes ago, Patch said:

Putting on level carpeted area. Lay a quarter, dime, nickle, or penny on the carpet, 18"-24" in front of the ball. Then putt/roll the ball over the coin. 

If you can consistently hit the coin, that tells you that your set up, and stroke are allowing you to roll a straight putt on your chosen line. All putts are straight putts to a point, not necessarily the hole. 

Advanced RV, indoor putting. If you are RVing, and your rig has hydraulic levelers, you can creat your own,  breaking, practice putts, while still using a coin. Just about anything you can think of can be practiced. 

My home was built in 1938 and I love everything about it except for my putting area in my study.  The floor there has tilted about a degree from the house settling over so many years. So all my putts break about an inch right to left. I've become very good at those putts when I find them on the course. 😄

Amazon has all kinds of stuff...……  https://www.amazon.com/putting-green/s?k=putting+green

TrueBirdie Indoor Putting Green and Golf Mat with Travel Bag

Remember when reading posts...…. Communication: 80% Body Language; 15% Tone & 5% Actual Words
We'd all be best selling authors if we could communicate in the written word as well as we would like.

:aimpoint:    :bushnell:    :sunmountain:   :ogio:   :titleist:
:mizuno:  Mizuno ST180 Driver
:ping:  Ping G400 fairway 3 
:cleveland:  Cleveland HB Launcher Iron set  4-PW  50/56/60 CBX Wedges
:callaway:  64 Calloway Lob Wedge
 :scotty_cameron:    Scotty Camron GOLO 3

1 hour ago, Double Mocha Man said:

My home was built in 1938 and I love everything about it except for my putting area in my study.  The floor there has tilted about a degree from the house settling over so many years. So all my putts break about an inch right to left. I've become very good at those putts when I find them on the course. 😄

Putt back the other way, and you will become proficient at left to right putts too. 

In My Bag:

54 minutes ago, Patch said:

Putt back the other way, and you will become proficient at left to right putts too. 

😊😊.  And I could putt perpendicular to practice uphill and downhill putts.  My carpet runs about 10 on the stimpmeter.

When I bought the house several years ago one of the rooms had shag carpeting (now oak wood floor).  I should have kept it to practice hitting out of the rough.

Edited by Double Mocha Man
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

😊😊.  And I could putt perpendicular to practice uphill and downhill putts.  My carpet runs about 10 on the stimpmeter.

When I bought the house several years ago one of the rooms had shag carpeting (now oak wood floor).  I should have kept it to practice hitting out of the rough.

You Da Man.......👍

In My Bag:

For me, the best putting practice has been putting to a penny on the ground.  1) do it at short distances that are straight so as to work on strike and start line.  2) do it at LONG ranges to work on feel/lagging.  

Setup and things are less worrisome for me as I use my favorite putter, the Seemore sb1.  I love that thing.  I've had it for a few years.  It's an older putter, but I love the centershaft, big line-up line, and the red dot.  

I’ve never really considered a putting mat because I’ve always thought they were more of a gimmick till I started looking into them today. I was wrong. On my kitchen floor a mat would be perfect. Thanks!

Just a thought. A golfer could save a few bucks on a putting/chipping mat, by going to a carpet store, and checking out their left over pieces of carpet.

That, or Lowes/Home Depot. Both will cut what you need, and they also have clearance pieces available.

The user could even buy some soft padding as needed for backing. 

Indoor/out door carpet, in your favorite color, works good. Me, I prefer a smooth "pergo".....😋

Edited by Patch

In My Bag:

• iacas changed the title to Indoor Putting Practice
Note: This thread is 1633 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!