IGNORED

How to pick the right ball?

Note: This thread is 5501 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I would definitely have to say that the Bridgestone e6+ is as close as you can get to Pro-V1 feel in an under $30 ball. It seems to spin alot more than the NXT's although I have not tried the new Extremes.

Driver: Sasquatch Tour 9.5 w/ Aldila NV Stiff
Fw: Sasquatch 4wd Reg.
3 Iron: Burner Stiff
4-Pw: Ta5 Reg.
Sand Wedge: Reg. 588 56Lob Wedge: 588 DSG 60Putter: Studio Stainless NewportBall: Pro-V1 (When I can afford them)Home Course: Sunridge Canyon in Fountain Hills, AZ

I think it dpends on what you need. Do you want a ball that spins a lot for short game? Do you hit the ball pretty straight? How many FIRs? GIRs?

If you hit the ball pretty straight, a higher spinning premium ball might help your short game. If you struggle with slices or hooks, then a lower spinning "value" ball can keep you out of trouble.

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

• 1 year later...
Try and find ball fitting venues at local ranges or courses. There is a Bridgestone ball fitting day at Tacoma Firs this weekend I believe.

Driver: G10 9*
3-wood: 909F3 15*
Hybrid: 909H 19*
Irons: 695MBs
Wedges: 56 & 52 64 spin milledPutters:Seemore FGP Spider

How does someone pick the right ball for them?

For me it is simple.

The begining filter is budget. I look for the desired characteristics from a ball at different budget levels. If I'm in the spendy mood then the E5+ is my pill. If I'm on a tighter budget...then I'll game the Noodle ball in my sig line. Both balls feel great to me, hold the greens supremely without inordinate backspin...just hop-n-stop, slightly higher trajectory, solid distance and lastly---feel/sound good to me off the putter...I like a little clic...not too harsh...not too muted.
  • BUDGET---look at your choices within your range
  • CHARACTERISTICS----what enhancements are you looking for....high/med/low spin.....soft/firm cover....????
  • DURABILITY----is this a consideration for you? I generally lose a ball every 18-27 holes anyway
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

The best ball I ever played, they no longer make. They were the Hogan Hawks. The longest ball I've hit, felt GREAT off the clubs. Stopped dead on the greens. Sadly I have one dozen left and i dont even want to play with them for fear of losing any =/

In the bag:

Burner 460 Ti Driver 10.5°, Stiff shaft
Burner Steel 3 wood, Stiff Shaft
Burner Steel 5 wood, Stiff Shaft Burner Rescue 3, Stiff Shaft Tour Burner Irons 4-PW Z TP 52° Wedge Z TP 56° Wedge White Hot 2-ball

Are there any tests out there which compare distance with different swing speeds, spin etc? I find it difficult to test balls to find the best suit, I'm thinking you could choose the ball simply from specifications. Not the brand and model perhaps, but the kind of ball you want.

I want to test new balls this season, but there are so many to choose from, it can get a bit overwhelming.

I'm probably going to give the Bridgestone e5+ and e6+ a go. Buy a dozen of each and test them.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

[*]DURABILITY----is this a consideration for you? I generally lose a ball every 18-27 holes anyway[/LIST]

Man I wish I could get to that point. I generally lose at least on ball per 9, either on a real shot or on a provisional.

My record for one round in a goofy tournament was 10 lost balls/ O.B.. I hit two provisionals on 3 different hole that day, that is never good. I ended up hitting 5 off the tee 2 different times, all in all I think I lost around 15 balls that day.

R9 with 757 Speeder
mp 57 3-pw project x 6.0 flighted
Vokey* 56* 60*
Monza Corsa Putter

Starting out not too long ago, I struggled w/ this same question the OP had..... starting out, I didn't care what ball I was using.... hell, a Top Flight rock was good enough for me.... I was also losing maybe a dozen balls per 18 as well, but I didn't care less...... fast forward to about two years ago.....

which ball fits me? which one will minimize my tendency to slice? which one is soft enough and spins enough for me around the green? which one feels good off the putter? etc etc.......

and through a lot of trial and error, I came to love the Bridgestone E6+......

it's more than adequate in every way that I was wanting in a ball....

personally, I like the premium balls, and who really doesn't??? BUT, I don't consider myself good enough to consistently hit them off the tee straight (they'll take a mis-hit off the driver and compound the mis-hit two fold) and I can't consistently correctly play a fade/hook to take full advantage of all the spin that is attributed to premium balls...... (plus, they're all spendy!)

so, hope you give the E6+ a whirl!

TM R11/Titleist 910F 15*/ Nike SQ2 20* & 23*/ Nike CCi 5-PW/ Nike SV 52* & 56*/ SC Newport 2 Studio Style 32.5"
Nike 20XIx/Pro V1x

The NXTs are being replaced by the NXT Extremes. I haven't played the Extremes to see how comparable they are to the straight up NXTs but I have a dozen of the Extremes and Tours I'm going to try out soon.

Are the NXT Tours being replaced also or just the regular NXT? Thanks.

Driver: 975D 9.5
3 Wood: 975F 14.5
2 Hybrid: 909H 19
Irons: 3-PW VR Split Cavity
Wedges: VR 52/10 & 56/10Putter: White Hot Tour #1Ball: ONE Platinum/Tour

ive literally hit hundreds of different kinds of balls from all different makes and manufacturers... i have buckets and buckets of titleists/nikes/callaways... bags of tm's/srixons/bridgestones... and countless amts of topflites/precepts/noodles etc etc...
im not a long hitter so i cant get the most out of a premium ball off the tee... but i like them off and around the greens...
im more of the one off premium ball kinda player... nxt's/e5+e6+/d2feels/gamers/laddie...
the low end balls are pretty frustrating to play with...
the way ive come to pick the right ball is based on how im playing...
i need distance(not a long hitter)
i need less sidespin(tend to slice)
i need a soft feel(tend to hammer putts)
RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

New wrinkle in my simple ball inventory.

A few weeks ago I was in a local golf shop and noticed promotional 2 ball sleeves of NIKE ONE Vapor balls near the cash register. I threw a sleeve in with my glove and tee purchase.

This little mini-sleeve has been in my bag for a while now....until today. I made it to the first teebox playing with a couple of buddies. I dug through my bag getting my trusty ball mark, tees and glove out and saw the sleeve and on impulse decided to game them.

It was extremely gusty today....35mph winds that were swirling and would change direction on a whim. If it blows like this during the Masters....rut-row...things will get a bit testy. I can't wait to seem 'em tee it up on on Golden Bell.

This ball did extremely well for me. I'd give the trajectory a rating of middle and bite was great. I hit 6 iron into two of the par 3s today and the ball came to rest less than 18" from the ball mark on each.

Driver distance was solid. I poked them out there well...even into headwinds. The ball really tracked spendidly in the wind on iron and wedge shots.

Ball felt great off the putter.

Chipping was good....although I never really gave it much sizzle to see how it'd zip to a stop....just simple chips that released as intended.

I stopped on the way back home and picked up 3 dozen of these balls. This should hold me for a good long while.
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

Your swing speed and the type of shots you play a big role I think. At least that was what I was taught. I found out the hard way that not all balls are made for 20+ handicappers, and I found out late which is why I'm still a 20+ handicapper. LOL. Still enjoying the game though .

----------------------------------------------------------------
What's in My Bag?
Driver - R9 460 10.5* UST Proforce V2
F Wood - SQ2 3W 15* UST Proforce V2
Hybrid - Baffler DWS 20* Fujikura SpeederIrons - Pro CB (4-PW) Project X 6.0Wedges - CG14 52* CG12 56* & CG15 DSG 60* Putter - Studio...

• 2 weeks later...
Ok....So I just switched to Srixon Trispeed, from Titleist DT Roll and Slazeger Raw Distance Extreme....I have been playing Slagengers more as they are cheap, I don't car if I loose them....the titliest were reserved for holes without water....Needless to say the Titliest are much better than Slag's, specially on the green!!! Huge difference!

But the Trispeed, are way better. I just started playing in Jan-09, and my buddies told me not to buy better balls...at my level, I will not know the difference...boy they were so wrong! I played 14 holes with one ball (even with water) my drives were very straight (better than ever), my putts wre rolling nicely (I just couldn't aim), but what really got me, was how the ball bit the greens...Wow!!!! I hit a PW, about 110 out, hit the green and rolled back toward the pin about 10", and left me with a6 footer, for my first attempt tfor Birdie Ever!!!! (if your interested, see note above, "I couldn't aim"!!!)

Bottom line, I reduced my wicked slice tremendoucly with this ball, as a matter of fact, I took 7 strokes from the last time I played (same course) and I think it had greatly to do with the ball. I was close to breaking 100....106!

Overall, I am no were near ready to spend $45 per dozen for Pro V1's, and I got the Srixon Trispeed on a great deal on eBay, But I am certainly going to keep these in my bag.
It's the indian, not the arrow! But it sure is nice to have good arrows!!!!!

Driver : r7 Limited 9.5* Matrix Ozik X-Con 5.5 (Reg) | Fairway: 906F4 15.5* (Reg) | Hybrids: DWS Baffler 3/R 20* (Reg) & Baffler Rail H 4-H 22* (Reg) | Irons: AP1 5-G (Reg) | Wedges: SW - SM56-10 & LW - SM60-04 | Putter:.....

For virtually everyone I play with the choice seems simple for them....ProV1.

I have some gift certs for a local golf shop....gonna use them on a dozen Pro V1s and see how they do. Between those and the NIKE Ones that I have on hand....I should be set for a while.

Note: This thread is 5501 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!