IGNORED

Driver Loft Question

Note: This thread is 1470 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm confused about adjustable loft drivers. I've seen the video by Tom Wishon that says adding (or subtracting) loft by setting the shaft adapter at + or - only works if one manipulates the face of the driver. What that tells me is; if I want a 12* driver I need a 12* head. Simply adding 1.5* to a 10.5* head is an imperfect way to achieve this goal. Is that correct?

38 minutes ago, Hoganman1 said:

I'm confused about adjustable loft drivers. I've seen the video by Tom Wishon that says adding (or subtracting) loft by setting the shaft adapter at + or - only works if one manipulates the face of the driver. What that tells me is; if I want a 12* driver I need a 12* head. Simply adding 1.5* to a 10.5* head is an imperfect way to achieve this goal. Is that correct?

It works if you square the face to your aim line at address. The loft of the club head can’t change but the angle of the shaft going into the hosel does.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Hoganman1 said:

If indeed the lofts are accurate to begin with.....a 10.5 head lofted up 1.5 to 12...should play at 12 but with a closed face.

I played my 10.5 Jetspeed at 12 with no issues...but bought a 12* M3 recently....just because I wanted a 12* head and more importantly...a driver head with more forgiveness and a bit more ball speed.

6 hours ago, Mr22putt said:

If indeed the lofts are accurate to begin with.....a 10.5 head lofted up 1.5 to 12...should play at 12 but with a closed face.

I played my 10.5 Jetspeed at 12 with no issues...but bought a 12* M3 recently....just because I wanted a 12* head and more importantly...a driver head with more forgiveness and a bit more ball speed.

That's what I'm thinking. I'm playing my 10.5* Callaway Rogue at +2, but I looking at getting a 12*  TM M4. I really like how the M4 looks and I hit a few shots with a friend's club. The M4s are hard to find too. That tells me their still in people's bags.

10 hours ago, arturo28mx said:

I have owned many Titleist drivers and fairway woods. When I adjust them for more or less loft they just never feel right. I stopped doing it.

I think you're right. It's hard to tell what is simply a marketing claim from an actual technological advancement. I'm convinced if I want a 12* driver I need to get one with a 12 stamped on the head AND have the loft checked on a loft gauge. 

18 hours ago, Hoganman1 said:

That's what I'm thinking. I'm playing my 10.5* Callaway Rogue at +2, but I looking at getting a 12*  TM M4. I really like how the M4 looks and I hit a few shots with a friend's club. The M4s are hard to find too. That tells me their still in people's bags.

In the summer of 2018...a guy with a 10.5 M4 with a stiff stock Atmos shaft let me hit it on the 18th hole....I smashed 2 drives the same distance....they  ended up 10 feet apart.

I wanted to find a used M4...but could not find a stiff 12* in August and bought a 12* stiff M3 for a good price.

If you are patient...you'll find a 12* M4.....you can set up a product alert on Global Golf/3balls, etc...2nd Swing is a bit expensive.

I think you should be able to find a M4 well below $200....M6 under $300.

Yes, I like the head shape of the M3/M4.

It won't resolve a bad strike or swing...but I believe the Twist Face will help a bit with dispersion.

On 1/5/2020 at 3:26 PM, Mr22putt said:

In the summer of 2018...a guy with a 10.5 M4 with a stiff stock Atmos shaft let me hit it on the 18th hole....I smashed 2 drives the same distance....they  ended up 10 feet apart.

I wanted to find a used M4...but could not find a stiff 12* in August and bought a 12* stiff M3 for a good price.

If you are patient...you'll find a 12* M4.....you can set up a product alert on Global Golf/3balls, etc...2nd Swing is a bit expensive.

I think you should be able to find a M4 well below $200....M6 under $300.

Yes, I like the head shape of the M3/M4.

It won't resolve a bad strike or swing...but I believe the Twist Face will help a bit with dispersion.

You're right. I just bought a 12* M6. Dick's reduced the price and I had some gift cards from my family. I've only played two rounds with it, but I think I'm going to like it. It's hard to tell if it's a lot longer than my Rogue on wet fairways. It feels just like the M4 I demoed and has the same shaft. It usually takes me a month or so to determine if a driver is a keeper. If not, my son and son-in-law usually reap the benefits. They both are playing my rejects right now.

My opinion, for what it is worth, is that if you want a 12* driver buy one. If you want a 10.5* buy that. I never trusted the marketing of adjustable head/neck drivers and woods, could never figure out how that was done without screwing something up. If you adjust the head up 2* but have to close the face at address as stated above doesn't that just deloft the club? Very confusing to me and your paying for this adjustable neck but once set by a fitter you never change it again. 

Maybe it all works but for a HH like me, who doesn't have a consistent enough swing for it to make a difference, I just use a 10.5* driver, none adjustable. Same with my 3W and 5W.

As I said, just my opinion. Others I'm sure love the concept and adjust the neck for different playing conditions.

27 minutes ago, cooke119 said:

could never figure out how that was done without screwing something up. If you adjust the head up 2* but have to close the face at address as stated above doesn't that just deloft the club? Very confusing to me and your paying for this adjustable neck but once set by a fitter you never change it again. 

I'm no club head engineer.

BUT

Stick your right hand out, move your wrist so your palm faces you...see a 'closed face with more loft"...now move your wrist in the opposite way...see a 'less lofted face".

Just sayin.

You're right. I just bought a 12* M6. Dick's reduced the price and I had some gift cards from my family. I've only played two rounds with it, but I think I'm going to like it. It's hard to tell if it's a lot longer than my Rogue on wet fairways. It feels just like the M4 I demoed and has the same shaft. It usually takes me a month or so to determine if a driver is a keeper. If not, my son and son-in-law usually reap the benefits. They both are playing my rejects right now.

Wait till summer conditions for a final outcome. In August when I bought....I hit some M3 drives where my Jetspeed had never been....but now in the winter muck....no wonderful length M3 drives.....mainly zero roll.

If a M6 is a reject..then your son or SIL are spoiled Millenials...lol.

Golftown 2 month ago had M6's on sale for $300...or $225 US.

2 hours ago, Hoganman1 said:

Great point. I hate playing on soft wet fairways. Also, like I said before "new driver fever' always hits me in the Winter.

WTF....just realized you're in NC....you really have no winter...try playing golf here in Vancouver in the winter muck ...we get about 30" of rain from Nov-Mar....that's create SLOP.

It rarely snows here...we just got 8" of snow last night....night time temps down to 20*F......I know I know...it's not all that cold.

But the CLOWN's here have no idea how to drive in the snow....the city comes to a stand still when it snows....I was in Ontario for over 3 decades...so I know how to handle the snow.

• Like 1

I think the adjustments work as long as you sole the driver at address and then take your grip without moving the club.  I was hitting my pro’s 10.5 degree Ping G410 Driver at the state’s 10.5 degree loft.  I then hit it at 9 degrees by adjusting the hosel adapter.

Going down in loft 1.5 degrees reduced my launch angle from 16 degrees down to 12.4.  Spin came down only 100 rpm.  Max height came down by 30 feet.

Ball speed was 2 mph faster at the lower loft but that was due to lower loft giving a higher smash factor.  Total distance was the same exactly, the lower loft landed 4 yards shorter but more roll than the 10.5.... hence the same total distance.

This was done inside on our AG golf simulator ...again, sole the club, then take your grip.

• Thumbs Up 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I just adjust my loft, set the club down, make sure it's square, and make sure my grip is my normal grip within that square clubface and swing.   Ive never really thought too much about it tbh.  I was playing down to 8 degrees this year on a 9 driver, and as high as 10.5 sometimes during the winter to get a little more carry.  I've done both without much actual difference change to direction, but it does definitely produce a higher or lower launch angle. 

3-pw 2007 callaway x-forged
56 cleveland
60 cleveland 
Driver - Callaway xr16
3w - Callaway xr16
Shoes - Etonic stabilite sport

On 1/13/2020 at 7:20 PM, Mr22putt said:

WTF....just realized you're in NC....you really have no winter...try playing golf here in Vancouver in the winter muck ...we get about 30" of rain from Nov-Mar....that's create SLOP.

It rarely snows here...we just got 8" of snow last night....night time temps down to 20*F......I know I know...it's not all that cold.

But the CLOWN's here have no idea how to drive in the snow....the city comes to a stand still when it snows....I was in Ontario for over 3 decades...so I know how to handle the snow.

My apologies. You're right. We do get to play year round here in NC. Playing on soft wet fairway IS better than not being able to play at all. It has been unusually warm here this Winter., but we've had much more rain than usual. 

My apologies. You're right. We do get to play year round here in NC. Playing on soft wet fairway IS better than not being able to play at all. It has been unusually warm here this Winter., but we've had much more rain than usual. 

UGH......16" of snow here in the past 2 days...it's also cold....very unusual here...Vancouver basically shuts down with snow....lol.

11 minutes ago, Mr22putt said:

UGH......16" of snow here in the past 2 days...it's also cold....very unusual here...Vancouver basically shuts down with snow....lol.

Practice your bunker shots in the snow in your front yard.  Along the lines of turning lemons into lemonade... it's turning snow into sand.   😊

Note: This thread is 1470 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!