IGNORED

Beginner

Note: This thread is 1565 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi guys. I'll be 54 in Feb. Have followed golf for years. Am ready to play. Will be taking golf lessons in the spring. My questions, for irons for a beginner, what brand would you recommend? Also is getting your clubs custom fitted worth whatever the cost may be?

Welcome to TST. When i started i was lucky to be loaned a set of irons (old dunlops) that got me going. Since then I always bought used clubs and there is nothing wrong with used clubs (or budget clubs) when you are starting out.

Last year i had my first custom fitting and got fitted for Srixon Z155 with reg graphite shafts and absolutely love them. I got them for £279 fitted as they were overstock (but brand new) clubs.

Dont spend too much to start with as there is nothing worse tthan spending hundreds of £/$ on clubs to find you dont like golf.

Have a look at the package sets where you get either a half set or a full set as these are good enough to get you started but dont cost the earth. Other options are second hand but make sure you get them from a reputable seller (such as a pro shop or their ebay shop). If a deal seems too good to be true it usually is so stay clear of the year old Taylormade's for $100 :-D.

Whatever route you choose just make sure your #1 goal is enjoyment.

• Thumbs Up 1

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just my opinion......

I started with a set I put together from goodwill/thrift stores.  After a couple years, I went to the local golf store and tried 10 different sets of used clubs on the simulator and picked the ones that felt the best.  3 years later, decided it was time for a fitting.....

You really need to find "YOUR" swing pattern before investing in a higher end fitted set.

Some lessons from a good instructor may also help point you in the right direction...….

Good Luck and have fun with it !!!!

• Thumbs Up 1

Remember when reading posts...…. Communication: 80% Body Language; 15% Tone & 5% Actual Words
We'd all be best selling authors if we could communicate in the written word as well as we would like.

:aimpoint:    :bushnell:    :sunmountain:   :ogio:   :titleist:
:mizuno:  Mizuno ST180 Driver
:ping:  Ping G400 fairway 3 
:cleveland:  Cleveland HB Launcher Iron set  4-PW  50/56/60 CBX Wedges
:callaway:  64 Calloway Lob Wedge
 :scotty_cameron:    Scotty Camron GOLO 3

I don't know what your budge is but if you're interested in buying new I would recommend game improvement clubs, e.g Cobra Max. I would talk to the Pro-Shop near you or a Dicks Sporting Good, they may have a used set. As far as a fitting, I would hold off until you develop a swing that is somewhat consistent. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Used and cheap. Any reputable brand will do. Shouldn't have a problem finding a complete set with bag and all for under 100 dollars on craigslist or facebook marketplace. As was said earlier, stay away from stuff that is only 1 or 2 years old. It will either be too expensive, or you are risking getting scammed.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to check out Dicks Sporting Goods and my pro shop. I have some in mind to compare as far as irons, Ping G Yellow Dot, Titleist T300, Nike Vapor Fly and Ben Hogan Fort Worth. Any advice on any of those? Will keep you all posted

Just now, Goldenbear111 said:

Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to check out Dicks Sporting Goods and my pro shop. I have some in mind to compare as far as irons, Ping G Yellow Dot, Titleist T300, Nike Vapor Fly and Ben Hogan Fort Worth. Any advice on any of those? Will keep you all posted

The Ping dot color only designates the lie angle, which is to say how upright or flat the shaft is when the sole of the club is evenly grounded. That is something that a fitter would let you know about your swing. I really do suggest avoiding a store and just finding something that is used and dirt cheap, but durable (good name brand). As you learn the game and get lessons, your swing will change, and if you were to get fitted to clubs now, it might be a completely inaccurate fit in 3-6 months time. A club fitting is most valuable when you have really established a consistent swing with the help of a coach. I would hate for you to go buy a new set of clubs for 600-2000 dollars only to have them be basically worthless to you less than a year later. Others will most likely echo this sentiment, and it is out of experience that they do so.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

8 hours ago, Bonvivant said:

The Ping dot color only designates the lie angle, which is to say how upright or flat the shaft is when the sole of the club is evenly grounded. That is something that a fitter would let you know about your swing. I really do suggest avoiding a store and just finding something that is used and dirt cheap, but durable (good name brand). As you learn the game and get lessons, your swing will change, and if you were to get fitted to clubs now, it might be a completely inaccurate fit in 3-6 months time. A club fitting is most valuable when you have really established a consistent swing with the help of a coach. I would hate for you to go buy a new set of clubs for 600-2000 dollars only to have them be basically worthless to you less than a year later. Others will most likely echo this sentiment, and it is out of experience that they do so.

I tend to agree with this view. I have been debating fitting and since I have played about 40 rounds in total. With practice and rounds I have swung a club a lot this year and I am still not in what I would call a grooved swing. I do plan on some driver fitting and maybe some more coaching. If a good coach says go get fitted then I will probably do that.

1 hour ago, Goldenbear111 said:

Yes, i have no intention of being fitted until after lessons. The place I'm getting lessons has clubs. I was just looking at brands of irons as when time comes, I'm getting them first 

Honestly, pretty much all the modern manufacturers have good sets.  The same manufacturer might have several different models that just will not work for you, but, you find the right model, it'll work great.  I'd say, don't get fixated on one name brand.  Try several out and compare many different brands and models before you make your decision.  Now, if your made of money, do whatever you want...…..  LOL  :-D

• Thumbs Up 1

Remember when reading posts...…. Communication: 80% Body Language; 15% Tone & 5% Actual Words
We'd all be best selling authors if we could communicate in the written word as well as we would like.

:aimpoint:    :bushnell:    :sunmountain:   :ogio:   :titleist:
:mizuno:  Mizuno ST180 Driver
:ping:  Ping G400 fairway 3 
:cleveland:  Cleveland HB Launcher Iron set  4-PW  50/56/60 CBX Wedges
:callaway:  64 Calloway Lob Wedge
 :scotty_cameron:    Scotty Camron GOLO 3

I agree with the idea of not getting hung up on one name brand.

Before I bought my current set of clubs, I spent some time researching cavity back irons vs. blade style. I also tried to learn about the primary differences of graphite vs. steel shafts and the associated flex designations. I didn't want to blindly go buy a used set somewhere because it was a good deal and later learn it was a ladies or stiff flex when I probably needed a regular or senior or otherwise.  

I approached my search hoping I would find a nice set I could game for 2-3 years. After that amount of time, I hope to have upped my game and be ready for a more personalized set. Or by then I will more clearly understand I completely suck and will maintain my current set and simply add a few hybrids, new putter, etc. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver - Callaway Epic Flash, 3 Wood - Callaway Mavrik, 4 Hybrid - Callaway Big Bertha,

Irons - 5-AW Mavrik Pro's, Putter - Odyssey White Hot OG 1, Ball - Callaway Chrome Soft

Welcome to the game, I hope you have discussed this life changing event with your spouse lol. My humble advise is the same as everyone else's. I started out with a box set from K-Mart. But then when I knew I liked the game and wanted to get serious I started at the flag and went in reverse. I spent my money on a good putter first, then wedges, then a 3 wood, then irons, then driver. Don't fall into the marketing trap, a golf ball doesn't know if your Ping putter is new or used. And there is not a golf club made that can fix a bad swing. Enjoy the journey!

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime X, :adidas: Tour360 22

8 hours ago, snapfade said:

Don't fall into the marketing trap, a golf ball doesn't know if your Ping putter is new or used. And there is not a golf club made that can fix a bad swing. Enjoy the journey!

SPOT ON!!! This is the best quote I've seen in this whole thread (all of the rest of you have given him good advice and I agree with you). Whatever set you feel most comfortable with in order to develop YOUR swing. Once you have that swing, get fit.

HOWEVER....If money is no object and you feel confident that you will be a life-long golfer, I would find an instructor that also does fittings. Once you start lessons ask your coach about the fitting and when he thinks it best for you to get one. Then buy the clubs that the numbers fit you to. Find the coach with the best reputation in your area and let them guide you every step of the way. 

Best of luck to you, Sir, and please keep us updated as things move along.

• Like 1

Dave 

Amazing Golf Ball Whacker Guy

titleist.png

There might be a used club shop in your area. Many of those places also buy unused two or three year old sets and will give you enough advice to get you started.

We can't buy a good golf game. Most gear from the top manufacturers is perfectly good for us weekend warriors. Instruction, practice, playing rounds will improve your game.

....but shiny clubs will make you feel a whole lot better, lol

• Thumbs Up 1

Note: This thread is 1565 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!