IGNORED

The Chop Chip

Note: This thread is 1558 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have seen professional golfers intentionally chopping at the ball (with success, mind you) when hitting a chip shot from crappy rough.  For clarity, the club stops jjst after making contact with the ball, digging itself into the turf. It seems counterintuitive to me.  Needless to say, I do not have any particular skill with this, so I browsed for a video to look into it.  I could not find one, so I am posing the question to all of you.

What is purpose of hitting the ball this way? 

Would you consider it a required skill or more of an option?

Can you post a video for it?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It’s probably just a pitch or chip motion with a steep angle of attack. When the club hits the ground it stops.

Useful for hitting a ball buried in deep rough or if you have to navigate around a tree root or something. Very unforgiving shot btw, you’re eliminating all the benefits of the bounce on the sole.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I play that shot a lot.

Generally it’s because the rough is very thick and the ball has settled to the very bottom of it. While ordinarily I might be tempted to play an open face shot similar to a bunker splash shot, the thick rough really doesn’t allow it.  Like most shots around the green, knowing how to play it provides another option depending on circumstances.

The shot you describe allows me to be much steeper at impact and minimizes the affect of the rough on the clubhead.  I play it like I might play a buried lie in a bunker.  Just drop the clubhead down directly behind the ball with no attempt to follow through.  The ball will pop straight up and land with no spin.  While you might be tempted to use a lob wedge, I find that my 56° sand wedge will pop the ball straight up in the air.

It’s not all that difficult to play, but like any shot requires a little bit of practice to get the feel, especially for the distance that the ball will fly.

Hope that helps…

Edited by David in FL
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

On 1/17/2020 at 11:37 AM, Cantankerish said:

Can you post a video for it?

• Thumbs Up 1

Remember when reading posts...…. Communication: 80% Body Language; 15% Tone & 5% Actual Words
We'd all be best selling authors if we could communicate in the written word as well as we would like.

:aimpoint:    :bushnell:    :sunmountain:   :ogio:   :titleist:
:mizuno:  Mizuno ST180 Driver
:ping:  Ping G400 fairway 3 
:cleveland:  Cleveland HB Launcher Iron set  4-PW  50/56/60 CBX Wedges
:callaway:  64 Calloway Lob Wedge
 :scotty_cameron:    Scotty Camron GOLO 3

Just a correction to the video. The ball does not have topspin. It has less spin than a normal chip shot, but it is still backspin. That is why it rolls out more. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I practice this shot on occassions. As posted above, it's a usefull shot to get the ball out of thicker rough to a more playable ball position. It matters little how far the ball goes, just as long as the ball is in a better position for the next shot. 

I tend to use my sw most of the time. With a steeper, more verticle chopping motion, the club head will be less effected by the taller grass on it's way down to the ball.  

It's a shot saver when done correctly. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Note: This thread is 1558 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!