IGNORED

Driver Upgrade For ≤ $100

AJCURRY
Note: This thread is 1530 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

First time posting. Please forgive me if I'm in the wrong forum. I started playing golf about 14mths ago. I would like to upgrade the Strata driver that I currently have. I'm not looking to spend a penny over 100$. I can carry the ball about 245 with my current setup, but I would like to see if I would improve upon that with a better driver. Any recommendations?????

Thanks

Edited by AJCURRY
Misspelled

• iacas changed the title to Driver Upgrade For ≤ $100
6 minutes ago, AJCURRY said:

First time posting. Please forgive me if I'm in the wrong forum. I started playing golf about 14mths ago. I would like to upgrade the Strata driver that I currently have. I'm not looking to spend a penny over 100$. I can carry the ball about 245 with my current setup, but I would like to see if I would improve upon that with a better driver. Any recommendations?????

Thanks

I'd go on eBay.  You can find really great deals on clubs that aren't that old.  You might luck up and get something as new as a TM M2 driver for $100.

• Thumbs Up 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Global Golf. All Taylormade clubs 15% off. Freeship99 code for well free shipping over $99

Edited by jmanbooyaa
  • Thumbs Up 1

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

23 minutes ago, AJCURRY said:

Thanks

If you are currently hitting it 245 in the air that's fine to play golf and keep improving. If I were you, I'd put the 100 bucks in my pocket until I knew what I wanted. You may buy a 3 year old Taylormade or a 4 year old Callaway and actually lose distance. There's no way to know unless you get fit for something and/or test out something. 

My opinion, and I know opinions are like backsides everyone has one, is that you should play golf with as many different people as you can. Every time you do so say "Hey, can I test out your driver?" Most people will say yes. Eventually you will have tried enough drivers that you may find one that really suits you. Then go out on ebay or 2nd Swing or what ever and search for a good deal. Or maybe even ask the person you who's driver you tested if they'd like to sell it to you. You never know. 

As a side note, this happened to me. I was playing golf with some random guy and on the 18th hole he said "Hey, can I try out your putter?" I let him try it and he offered my $75.00 for it. I only paid $50 for it and was going to be fitted for a new one anyway. So, I sold it to him. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

27 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

I'd go on eBay.  You can find really great deals on clubs that aren't that old.  You might luck up and get something as new as a TM M2 driver for $100.

This....

Ya...likely the 2016 M2 model....a good forgiving head that will produce some pretty good ball speed.

TM clubs don't hold their value like Ping, Cally...so some TM clubs can be sometimes found on the cheap.

49 minutes ago, AJCURRY said:

Thanks

I think @ChetlovesMer nailed it. I would ask though is your 245 in the fairway or where you were aiming on a regular basis? I might follow his advise and use the 100 on a few lessons, you might find that you can gain more distance and accuracy with what you have. With so many choices in shafts these days, I would definitely hit as many variations as you can, provided you are confident in your swing. Welcome to the forums.  

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime X, :adidas: Tour360 22

who makes strata?  is it the callaway strata, or some off brand? top flite? 

i feel like if youre carrying some weird old off brand club 245, you'd smoke any one of the older model big name clubs, even without being properly fitted

3-pw 2007 callaway x-forged
56 cleveland
60 cleveland 
Driver - Callaway xr16
3w - Callaway xr16
Shoes - Etonic stabilite sport

On 2/3/2020 at 9:52 PM, leftybutnotPM said:

If that's true you don't need to upgrade. 

I agree, playing for 14 months and carrying 245, why change unless you are having trouble keeping it in the fairway. Even then it is more about your swing rather then the club, IMHO.

Go to a local golf store. Not a chain, but a small operator. Near me, there is a store called "Foxy Golf". They sell new clubs, used clubs, golf gear and do fittings. I can walk in, find a used club on the rack, and go use it with their launch monitor. If I like it, I buy it. Naturally, no returns. I'm using a Scotty Cameron Newport putter I bought from there. It was about 150 + 25 for a super stroke grip. A new one is about $400.

Why not?

I don't know how many people here that would actually bag that Strata.  And there are a lot of golfers that wouldn't think twice about dropping $500 on the latest high tech aerodynamic driver that will give them a 0.2mph increase in swing speed and a good 6 inches more carry.

Do the research and hit some used drivers and find one that will work better; or at least you feel better about.  If you are hitting the Strata straight, you can probably hit another driver just as straight; and if you pick up some yardage, good for you.

Now if it's an old Top Flite Strata driver, then anything else will be better.

John

There's a guy that does club reviews on youtube, Rick Shiels. He found a complete Callaway set, Callaway Edge, at Costco. This set cost under $500. It includes irons, driver, fairway wood and an Odessey putter. The putter alone is over $100. He tested the clubs on the course versus a mainline Callaway set, and it was almost as good. I know $500 is a big bite, but if you can upgrade the whole set for that, why not?

Note: This thread is 1530 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!