IGNORED

LPGA: The Good Ole Days? Have You Stopped Watching?

Indy1954
Note: This thread is 1502 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

12 minutes ago, Indy1954 said:

That's the problem, people do not want to hear the truth.

They all have arms, legs and golf swings.  Where's the problem?

1 minute ago, Indy1954 said:

I also liked to watch Cory Webb, shes not American but was popular. Anika and Ochoa was not American and loved to watch them. When the LPGA puts a quota on Foreign players then it may regain its old status.

Okay, cool.  Now we're going to have quotas.

Its the USA LPGA Tour not the Asian Tour

Wow, I thought Tiger was done. He must of started the back side now they're showing him on the 1st. He's still in last place. They're showing his hole by hole play even in last place.

Take note of this LPGA cause this is the way you televise Golf and keep people interested/watching.

15 minutes ago, Indy1954 said:

quota on Foreign players then it may regain its old status.

You're on a roll with your dumb assertions.  Apparently, you value your discriminative views against well-playing Asian ladies over performance.  If you want to see more American players, they need to play better golf--that simple!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, Indy1954 said:

I know this is a touchy subject but I just want others opinion.

I used to watch the LPGA tour every week, watched it just about the same as the PGA sometimes more. But not anymore, I turn it on and see the leaderboard. If no one I like watching is on the 1st/2nd page I turn it off. Why, cause I know they only show the leaders and not players off the hunt even if they are popular players.

Fans want to see their favorite players no matter if they are in the hunt. When Tiger is playing but not in contention fans still want to see him and if they don't show him they'll turn to another program, same with the LPGA. If they're playing I want to see Lexi, Henderson, Cristie, Lincicome, Nordqvist, Stacy, Natalie, Wie, etc..

Perhaps you haven't realized this, but YOUR favorite players may not be the favorites of other people.  Certainly Tiger is a big draw, and gets air time no matter how he's playing, but the networks also get a fair bit of criticism for NOT showing the players in contention.  But on the LPGA Tour, there's not a single galvanizing player, nothing like Tiger.  My preference is to show the players who are in contention on the weekend.  I don't care to see someone on 40th place unless they're doing something really special.  I don't care to watch Tiger if he's nowhere near contention, although I understand those who do want to see him.  I don't want to see Lexi or Brooke or any of the women you've mentioned if they're not near the lead.  

Welcome to The Sand Trap.  Please contribute to additional topics.

• Like 2

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

1 hour ago, Indy1954 said:

I hope this thread doesn't get ugly, its not meant to be. Some may think I'm racist for my views I'm not. My wife of 30 years is part Native American and I raised her son as my own and his father is Hispanic, I'm white. Point blank the LPGA needs to cuts down on the amount of foreign players

I never said todays players where not attractive, I find them no more attractive then 10-20 years ago. We had some non attractive's back then as we have some today. The problem is not how attractive they are(sexist), its not showing the popular players even if they are not in the hunt to win.

Guess what? You are racist. And sexist. And a chauvinist. And of course you'll deny it. You want to see more pros like Gulbis, ( I mean "Natalie") who routinely occupied the lower half of the missed cut line rather than the sensationally good Asian players. WTF has the geneology of your wife or stepsoin got to do with anything?

You don't want to see the best players, you want to see the best players that are not "foreign".

Another thing, believe it or not, is that the policies are not going to change because of your peculiar viewing preferences. Maybe you need to become a golf fan.

And yes... things do get ugly in a hurry when you expose your prejudices so willingly.

Edited by leftybutnotPM
  • Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

John Daly is not a superstar but if he's playing on the Seniors and they're showing him I'll watch, if not I don't.

Fan favorites is half the audience, if fans don't see their favorites they don't watch.

I’m only going to post this once.

Keep the discussion to the topic, not about the people discussing the topic.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

55 minutes ago, Indy1954 said:

This from the LPGA website:  "The Ladies Professional Golf Association is an American organization for female professional golfers."

Notice, please, that it didn't put the word "American" in front of the word "female".  It says nowhere that it discriminates against any ethnicity of player.  Then there's the European Tour... Americans get to play on it.

• Like 2

I enjoy watching any tournament of the tour. I do however, prefer to watch the LPGA, nice looking young ladies playing golf, whats not to like. Who would you rather watch swing a club Patrick Reed or Michelle Wie? I am probably in the minority here but that's how I feel. As far as how to elevate their coverage or whatever, I don't see anything being done anytime soon to help. This was touched on on another thread. The fans, be it PGA, LPGA, Champions dictate the coverage outside the leaders, its a media driven event. There is always some backstory for someone at each event and they will focus, for a time, on that person, the cameras will follow Tiger, Rory, regardless of their position and the same is for the LPGA. I tell you what will elevate the LPGA though, a juicy scandal.

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime X, :adidas: Tour360 22

40 minutes ago, Indy1954 said:

John Daly is not a superstar but if he's playing on the Seniors and they're showing him I'll watch, if not I don't.

Fan favorites is half the audience, if fans don't see their favorites they don't watch.

Becoming a fan favorite is also contingent upon achieving success.  Showing Lexi more often, or whoever the player you happen to like on the LPGA, isn't going to suddenly make the LPGA must see TV.  Your comparison of showing Tiger when he plays poorly on the Tour does not apply here because Tiger is arguably the GOAT.  Tiger is an exception, an outlier, a living legend of the sport who will not be on Tour for a whole lot more years.  No one has that status on the LPGA or even comes close.  Hence, your argument of "show my favorite lady players" and "boot off the Asians" is invalid.  Again, if the American players want more coverage--play better golf.

Edited by ncates00

Getting back to the title, "have you stopped watching".

This is why I made this thread, to find out if a person has stopped watching the LPGA then why.

Jan Stevenson in an interview years back talked about what she thought was killing the LPGA, I happen to agree. I believe in speaking my mind and also hearing what others think. I just wanted to find out what others thought and for them to explain why they think the LPGA has declined. And if they stopped watching, why

Edited by Indy1954

1 minute ago, Double Mocha Man said:

... so you haven't heard about the scandal between Michelle Wie and me???

Oh yeah, wasn't a midget involved too?  

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

1 hour ago, Indy1954 said:

wow

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Indy1954 said:

Getting back to the title, "have you stopped watching".

This is why I made this thread, to find out if a person has stopped watching the LPGA then why.

Jan Stevenson in an interview years back talked about what she thought was killing the LPGA, I happen to agree. I believe in speaking my mind and also hearing what other think. I just wanted to find out what others thought and for them to explain why they think the LPGA has declined.

Jan Stephenson was Australian.So I don't really see her as being credible. 

13 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

Becoming a fan favorite is also contingent upon achieving success.  Showing Lexi more often, or whoever the player you happen to like on the LPGA, isn't going to suddenly make the LPGA must see TV.  Your comparison of showing Tiger when he plays poorly on the Tour does not apply here because Tiger is arguably the GOAT.  Tiger is an exception, an outlier, a living legend of the sport who will not be on Tour for a whole lot more years.  No one has that status on the LPGA or even comes close.  Hence, your argument of "show my favorite lady players" and "boot off the Asians" is invalid.  Again, if the American players want more coverage--play better golf.

Seems most are missing my point. Its not about how great one plays this great game, its about fan appeal. Without fan appeal you have nothing. Fans are what makes or breaks the game, you don't have to golf to be a fan. Players like Creamer, Wei, Lexi, etc. have fan appeal, Inbee doesn't to me and she's the top player.

LPGA needs to build their fan base not their golf fan base.

Note: This thread is 1502 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!