IGNORED

When Has a Golf Ball Been Illegally "Heated"?

curlydastooge
Note: This thread is 1490 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

No.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It is worth noting that the new rule 4.2(a)2 differs from the old Decision 14-3/13.5 in that the decision distinguished between warming before and during a round, whereas the rule says it is illegal whenever the ball's performance characteristics have been deliberately altered,

The advert is correct in that the rule has been revised but not in the way they say

Edited by Rulesman
  • Thumbs Up 1

So, if we "maintain" the temperature of the balls at the same level (degrees) at which the manufacturer or the USGA or whoever tested them, then we are not violating the rule. Right? But if we "deliberately alter" the temperature of the balls by heating or whatever, then we are violating the rule. Does that seem correct? So now we need to know what the "official" USGA temperature is, so that we don't violate the rule. Right?

Mike

38 minutes ago, curlydastooge said:

So, if we "maintain" the temperature of the balls at the same level (degrees) at which the manufacturer or the USGA or whoever tested them, then we are not violating the rule. Right? But if we "deliberately alter" the temperature of the balls by heating or whatever, then we are violating the rule. Does that seem correct? So now we need to know what the "official" USGA temperature is, so that we don't violate the rule. Right?

Congratulations.

You have officially crossed the line from discussion, to troll.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

9 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Congratulations.

You have officially crossed the line from discussion, to troll.

David in FL,

Do you have some sort of problem with me wanting information from the USGA? 

It seems like you don't like the idea that I'm trying to clarify what is "legal" and what is not. I'm not a lawyer or a "troll'. Trolls, to the best of my knowledge live under bridges and attack billy goats. I'm simply trying to get correct information. If that bothers you, tough.

Mike

Just now, curlydastooge said:

David in FL,

It seems like you don't like the idea that I'm trying to clarify what is "legal" and what is not. I'm not a lawyer or a "troll'. Trolls, to the best of my knowledge live under bridges and attack billy goats. I'm simply trying to get correct information. If that bothers you, tough.

Do you really think warming golf balls is gonna sharpen your game? What, are you that guy that gets irritated when the marker shows 112 when your range finder shows 113? Come on man....

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Despite being called a "troll" and being told I may be overly irritable, I will hold my fingers in check and will not respond in kind. I will, however, await an answer from the USGA about my question. Please allow me that. I will let you all know what they say when they respond. Have a nice day. :-)

Mike

It's very simple - if you intend to change the playing characteristics of your golf ball by artificially heating or cooling it, you are breaking the rules. Every single one of your contrived circumstances can be covered and answered by this very plain and common sense explanation. 

You cannot wash your ball in warm water if you're doing so to intentionally make the ball go further. You can wash your ball in warm water if you're a normal person doing it because it gets dirt off the ball better. You cannot place your golf balls in a special insulated black sack designed to act like a sauna to heat the balls up. You can place your golf balls in a black sack if it just happens to be what you store your golf balls in. 

Golf is a game of honor and intent, and this is no different than the dozens of other rules regarding activities prohibited only if the player intended to gain an advantage. It makes the judgement of the rule very simple for honest golfers, and more difficult for those intent on toeing the line as close as possible so that they can gain an advantage so small as to be nearly unmeasurable. I know which type of golfer I am, and I also know which type of golfer I'd rather play with in a tournament.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, curlydastooge said:

Despite being called a "troll" and being told I may be overly irritable, I will hold my fingers in check and will not respond in kind. I will, however, await an answer from the USGA about my question. Please allow me that. I will let you all know what they say when they respond. Have a nice day. :-)

YOU GOT YOUR ****ING ANSWER IN THE FIRST RESPONSE!!!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, curlydastooge said:

David in FL,

The USGA wrote the rule that I copied for you in the very first response.  

No need for a law degree.  It’s not ambiguous at all.

• Like 2

In David's bag....

23 minutes ago, David in FL said:

The USGA wrote the rule that I copied for you in the very first response.  

No need for a law degree.  It’s not ambiguous at all.

And in Florida...we don’t have to fool with this nonsense anyway....lol.

• Upvote 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

20 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

And in Florida...we don’t have to fool with this nonsense anyway....lol.

True dat!  :beer:

In David's bag....

OK. Here's the answer...

"USGA Testing Procedure"

Ensure that the Indoor Test Range (‘ITR’) temperature is maintained at an average of 75±3 °F (23.9 °C+/- 1.7 °C). Measure and record the temperature, barometric pressure and humidity.

Golf balls shall be maintained at 75 °F +/- 1 °F (23.9 °C +/- 0.6 °C) for a minimum of three hours prior to testing. 

...... So if "we" keep the balls at 75° F+/- 1°F , "we will not be "altering the performance characteristics" of the balls, but instead we will be maintaining those characteristics.  

.... I'm sure you Floridians will be glad to know this.

.... I sure am. 

Mike

If the weather is 20 degrees outside and you keep your golf balls heated to 75 degrees, you will be in breech of the rule and penalized accordingly in USGA sanctioned tournaments. Feel free to try if you're convinced of your reading of the rule, but don't expect to be unpenalized if you show it to a rules official.

40 minutes ago, curlydastooge said:

OK. Here's the answer...

"USGA Testing Procedure"

Ensure that the Indoor Test Range (‘ITR’) temperature is maintained at an average of 75±3 °F (23.9 °C+/- 1.7 °C). Measure and record the temperature, barometric pressure and humidity.

Golf balls shall be maintained at 75 °F +/- 1 °F (23.9 °C +/- 0.6 °C) for a minimum of three hours prior to testing. 

...... So if "we" keep the balls at 75° F+/- 1°F , "we will not be "altering the performance characteristics" of the balls, but instead we will be maintaining those characteristics.  

.... I'm sure you Floridians will be glad to know this.

.... I sure am. 

You've got it all wrong, predictably. This NOT the "answer". You've already got that.

This has nothing to do with what you want to know, (despite being told immediately what the answer was).

This is about testing balls for compliance, not how to make sure that some silly weekend golfer doesn't find himself playing in the Masters because he kept a golf ball in his glovebox. Get a grip.

Edited by leftybutnotPM

Maybe we should have black golf balls ?  To help them absorb heat from the sun.  Maybe I'll patent that idea and get rich, lol

Note: This thread is 1490 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!