IGNORED

Playing From the Wrong (Too Long) Tees?

SirMilton
Note: This thread is 1171 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

19 hours ago, billchao said:

Yes, as a counter to the generalizations you're making.

This stuff is all off topic. Feel free to start a new thread or post in an existing one. Or several.

BTW, there's a quote function:

https://thesandtrap.com/how-to/quote-posts/

Thanks for your reply.  Since I’ve retired 3 years ago I’ve played 533 rounds.  I wouldn’t say I’m making any generalizations.  Playing at a Resort with 9 courses I’ve met and played with people  from all over the US and many from outside the US.  Those experiences are mine as well as your experiences where you have played are yours. I’m sure you’ve traveled to many locations and have had similar experiences playing with a variety of skill levels. People that play for fun, people who have just started playing the game and the skilled player.  Many people I’ve met play from tees that don’t possess the necessary skills to do so. I tend to chuckle at why there doing it, but if there having fun let them swing away!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, iacas said:

You can adjust the slope and rating by yardage difference. If it’s more than 100-150 yards difference the slope has probably changed a point or three.

Adjusting from a rated tee:

• Locate the nearest set of rated tees for the appropriate gender.
  • Determine the measured difference between the set of tees being played and the rated set of tees.
  • For differences under 100 yards (100 metres), no adjustment is necessary and scores can be submitted as usual; otherwise
  • For differences between 100 and 300 yards (100 and 274 metres), the below table can be used to determine the adjustments required and issue a temporary Course Rating and Slope Rating.

Using these guidelines and the table below, find the range that includes the yardage difference:

Men’s Rating Adjustment

Women’s Rating Adjustment

Yards
[Metres]
Change to Course Rating Change to Slope Rating Yards
[Metres]
Change to Course Rating Change to Slope Rating

100 to 120
[100 to 110]

100 to 116
[100 to 110]

121 to 142
[111 to 130]

117 to 134
[111 to 122]

143 to 164
[131 to 150]

135 to 152
[123 to 139]

165 to 186
[151 to 170]

153 to 170
[140 to 155]

187 to 208
[171 to 190]

171 to 188
[156 to 172]

209 to 230
[191 to 210]

189 to 206
[173 to 188]

231 to 252
[211 to 230]

207 to 224
[189 to 205]

253 to 274
[231 to 250]

225 to 242
[206 to 221]

275 to 300
[251 to 274]

243 to 260
[222 to 238]

*Please contact your Authorized Association for any adjustment greater than 300 yards (274 metres)

261 to 278
[239 to 254]

279 to 300
[255 to 274]

3 hours ago, Sandy Lie said:

Many people I’ve met play from tees that don’t possess the necessary skills to do so. I tend to chuckle at why there doing it, but if there having fun let them swing away!

agree

I won't even correct the there, cuz you're meaning was obvious.

😷

But, I think what some here are trying to say is that they and the people they play with don't play from the wrong tees.

FWIW, both your belief and their belief can be correct.

Edited by Cartboy

• Administrator
6 hours ago, Sandy Lie said:

I wouldn’t say I’m making any generalizations.

You were. Which is fine - generalizations often work. But just own it - you were making generalizations based on your experiences.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

11 hours ago, iacas said:

But just own it - you were making generalizations based on your experiences.

Me, too . . . every day running the first tee for the last 12 years.

Mask

Perhaps what Sandy meant is that a lot of people play the wrong tee the first time they play a course.

And what others mean is that those who are familiar with a course tend to not play the wrong tee.

Edited by Cartboy

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Cartboy said:

Perhaps what Sandy meant is that a lot of people play the wrong tee the first time they play a course.

He wasn't even really talking about that. He was talking about fairways hit or missed, greens hit or missed, etc.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

16 hours ago, iacas said:

You were. Which is fine - generalizations often work. But just own it - you were making generalizations based on your experiences.

Perhaps so.  At Pinehurst most guests when the play #2 play the tips. It’s fun to watch actually. They pay big bucks so why not.  Many times during the round they begin to realize they are over matched but they soldier on.  And they will in most cases have a caddie so they get the full  experience.  The advice I usually give them is when they are putting, the greens are what make #2 so tough.  The other piece of advice I give is when they get into the sandy areas, I tell them to cut their losses and get out safely.  Many try to go for it and pay the price.  The new #4 is the same, high priced and many play the tips.  It’s fun when the get to the 5th hole to play the 481 yard par 4.  

• Administrator
31 minutes ago, Sandy Lie said:

At Pinehurst most guests when the play #2 play the tips.

Right, so take this the right way, please: not only is your experience not representative of the world at large, you should kinda know that and really resist assuming that it is. No?

I’ve always found that telling someone to take their 5-iron carry distance and multiply by 36 and that’s a pretty good indicator of a distance you might enjoy. 
175 x 36 = 6,300 yards

3 hours ago, iacas said:

Right, so take this the right way, please: not only is your experience not representative of the world at large, you should kinda know that and really resist assuming that it is. No?

Literally everyone here is assuming that their own personal experiences are the gospel truth. We should all know that, but no one believes it. But, since this is already a room full of experts, I’ll show myself to the door...

I guess I read it wrong when he said stuff like

I remember playing Harbor Towne at Hilton Head. . . . I’ve played with many guests 

That sounded to me like he was talking about golfers who were inexperienced at a course.

Only he knows what he meant, of course.

I don't think golfers typically play the wrong tees at their own course(s), ones they know and play often.

As far as the comments I've made about first-time tourist golfers playing the wrong tee at my home course the last 12 years, they don't know how really tough it is when they're on the putting clock or practice range. 

Then they get on the course.

I just hate to see them leaving the 18th Green, looking like they just got beat up, when they could have had a wonderful time.

Of course, anyone who has worked at a golf course knows that as soon as someone gets on the first tee, common sense leaves them.

16 minutes ago, rvanculin said:

I’ve always found that telling someone to take their 5-iron carry distance and multiply by 36 and that’s a pretty good indicator of a distance you might enjoy. 
175 x 36 = 6,300 yards

I'm not sure where you got that, or why it would work, but I assume it should work backwards, too, meaning if you divide the distance you play by 36, that should be your 5-iron carry.

Gosh, thanks, that just increased my 5-iron distance.

Actually, it's my 5-wood distance . . . is that OK?

image.jpeg.29feb0c7994968ed98d1ac1bd785dc03.jpeg

Edited by Cartboy

Not that anyone here needs any help with this topic for themselves, but here's something you can share with those who might need it:

Making the jump from the driving range & practice area to the actual golf course can be an intimidating leap for many novice golfers.  The anxiety typically sta

- - - - - -

Combo Tees

Combo tees serve multiple purposes. They can be used between any and all sets of tees.

It is a way for a golf course to update the course for their players without the added expense of constructing new tee boxes. It allows the player to move forward, or back, to allow for their change in abilities, without shocking their system. 

Combo tees will generally be indicated on the course scorecard, but if you see a White/Blue, Gold/Red or similar option on the course scorecard, this is likely an indicator of combo tees.

If a player decides to play a combo set of tees while they are golfing and it is not in the GHIN system, there is a way to post a score that is acceptable. The USGA Handicap System not only allows, but encourages this.

The player would find out the difference in the yardage for the combined set of tees that they played and adjust the Course Rating/Slope Rating up or down from the nearest set of tees.

In fact, if you are not comfortable with any sets of tees that the golf course has on their scorecard, the USGA allows golfers to essentially create their own set of tees and still have the ability to post the round to GHIN.

Here is a link to the USGA FAQ about “Posting a Score From an Unrated Set of Tees” on the USGA website: Click Here
Edited by Cartboy

4 hours ago, iacas said:

Wow! The worlds a big place. And I never said what you are suggesting.  Your off base with that comment.  I guess I won’t generalize my experiences.  But they are my experiences and I’ll leave it at that. No harm no foul.

5 minutes ago, Sandy Lie said:

Your off base with that comment.

I don't think he's off base at all.

You play golf at a resort area... a famous resort area with a course that has hosted major championships. You regularly see people who visit the area just to play golf at that golf course. People who are going to want to get "the full experience" of playing the course with all its teeth who might not otherwise choose to play from the back tees at their regular courses. Your experiences absolutely are not representative of most people at regular golf courses.

And I agree with @iacas that you should kind of know that and realize that the people you see playing at Pinehurst from day to day are going to behave differently than the people playing at any generic municipal course around the country.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
38 minutes ago, rvanculin said:

Literally everyone here is assuming that their own personal experiences are the gospel truth.

My point is that he's making generalizations based on what he sees at a course that costs $300 - $500 to play. Golfers behave differently when they're playing a bucket-list, major-championship-hosting type course rather than the $40 course 20 minutes from home.

P.S. Yeah, basically what Bill just said.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, iacas said:

My point is that he's making generalizations based on what he sees at a course that costs $300 - $500 to play. Golfers behave differently when they're playing a bucket-list, major-championship-hosting type course rather than the $40 course 20 minutes from home.

P.S. Yeah, basically what Bill just said.

You both don’t know anything about where I have played.  Ive played courses all over and have witnessed it many times. Non-Resort, Public and Private. Courses in Arizona, California, Hawaii, Oregon, Washington, South Carolina, Florida and North Carolina and Canada. Everyday courses In most of these locations.  For two people who run a forum you certainly go out of you way to insult people who join your Forum.

I think I posted this photo before but it bears re-posting.  Last time I played there I was chatting with the starter and he said sometimes he'd ask to see a GHIN handicap card if folks were headed to the back tees and things didn't look quite right.  I don't think they steadfastly enforce it, however.

pebble beach handicap sign.jpg

4 minutes ago, Sandy Lie said:

For two people who run a forum you certainly go out of you way to insult people who join your Forum.

You're way off base, man. Please find and quote any post we have made that is meant to be an insult.

I can't do anything about it if you're taking criticism and disagreement the wrong way.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

Let's get back to the actual topic, please.

• Administrator

I joined this topic a bit late and never fully read the OP. Having done so, it's even more "out there" than I thought hone I was responding before, a few days ago.

On 5/11/2020 at 4:08 PM, Sandy Lie said:

So my question is why do people play the wrong tees?

I don't think most people do. I think most people play the proper tees these days. I think that's changed since the 80s and 90s, but even then, I'm not sure even 50% of people played the wrong tees most of the time.

Still the question is valid for those who do.

On any given day at any course we see people who should be playing a forward tee than the one they are playing.

Debatable.

What’s a better score, an 86 from the Blues or a 76 from the Whites?

This is where it starts to get a bit ridiculous. Ten shots different from a set of tees?

The course rating at Whispering Woods goes from 74.0 to 64.4 from the back (black) to the front (red) set of tees. That is skipping over blue, white, and gold, and you still don't get to ten shots for a scratch golfer.

I’ve played with many guests at Pinehurst who play the tips (perhaps for the experience?) who would have a better time play one tee box up.

Again, these experiences at Pinehurst, a "bucket list" type place, aren't representative of golfers everywhere. I think it's dangerous to draw too many conclusions from what tees people play there or at Pebble Beach or other places.

i know it’s personal preference overall, but wouldn’t you rather shoot 3 over par versus 15?  

Now it's 12 shots.

Look, 12 shots, 10 shots even… often even four shots… won't be saved by moving up a set of tees.

When you start with a pretty ridiculous position… it's going to be the focus of the responses. The OP started by talking about Pinehurst and saving 10-12 shots by moving up a set of tees.

Note: This thread is 1171 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!