IGNORED

My Swing (swingman123123)

swingman123123
Note:Β This thread is 1119 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Hello golfers,

I started with golf 3 months ago. I was a professional baseball player (catcher/outfielder, batting left/throwing right) 10 years ago.

I struggle with my golf swing and I tried many things. I had/have a problem with chicken wing, extension, hitting fat, hitting thin, slices, push slices, etc. (everythingΒ image.gif.d89295108990e6be330f375158e30060.gif)

Here's a quick video of some of my "better swings".

I'd really appreciate your help...
Β 

I've been Playing Golf for:Β 3 months
My current handicap index or average score is:Β 54
My typical ball flight is: highΒ 
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is:Β I am still at the beginning, so tough to say at the moment πŸ™‚

Videos:Β 

Β 

image.gif

Hello and welcome to TST! I think your impact position is pretty good at least from the face on view.Β You have a lot of head movement away from the target on your back swing:

Β 

Edited by Vinsk
  • Thumbs Up 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Welcome to TST!

The next time you film your swing, try to get better camera angles. It's really important that they are correct for people to give you accurate swing advice. Check out these two links for more info.

https://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/filming_your_swing

Β 

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver:Β :callaway:Β Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:Β Β :cobra:Β Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons:Β :tmade:Β P770 (4-PW)
Wedges:Β :callaway:Β MD3 50Β  Β MD5 54 58Β degreeΒ Β 
Putter:Β :odyssey:Β  White Hot RX #1
Ball:Β :srixon:Β Z Star XV

2 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Hello and welcome to TST! I think your impact position is pretty good at least from the face on view.Β You have a lot of head movement away from the target on your back swing:

Β 

Hello, thank you! πŸ™‚

Β 

I'll check the video and try it!

I also think my legs (especially the front/left leg)Β move in a weird way during the takeaway...

Β 

Β 

1 hour ago, klineka said:

Welcome to TST!

The next time you film your swing, try to get better camera angles. It's really important that they are correct for people to give you accurate swing advice. Check out these two links for more info.

https://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/filming_your_swing

Β 

Thank you, I'll look at it - I tried my best, but the angles aren't ideal ones... you are right.

I’m guessing you have some pretty impressive swing speeds....

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

3 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

I’m guessing you have some pretty impressive swing speeds....

Some say that baseball swing is similar to golf swing - well, I could throw a 92mphΒ baseball - but golf swing is complicated for me, because I batted left and I swing the golf club right - so, it can't be used πŸ™‚Β I also notice that my flexibility on the right side is a lot lower - I can't turn that much..

Regarding the swing speed, my friend has a device that measures the swing speed and I tried it - had 110mph speed with the driver - but with totally poor technique πŸ˜žΒ πŸ˜„Β so it's useless the moment.

I was at theΒ driving range yesterday and it wasn't very consistent - I hitΒ few fat shots and then I feltΒ like I am afraid to hit the ground so I topped some balls - IΒ can't control the bottom of the swing arch well...

I get the difficulty. I Golf, bat, throw, bowl, skip stones left handed...but I write, played tennis/ping pong, and throw a frisbee right handed.Β 
Β YouΒ being able to generate 110mph is great. You’ll get the under better control and maybe even increase the speed. But if you can make proper contact with 110mph you’ll be absolutely fine.

55 minutes ago, swingman123123 said:

had 110mph speed with the driver - but with totally poor technique πŸ˜žΒ πŸ˜„Β so it's useless the moment.

As @VinskΒ says, with 110 mph as a starting point with poor technique, you've got a natural skill that will be of great benefit down the road. When I started taking lessons, with poor technique my driver swing speed was 95-98 mph, and after close to 2 years of lessons/practice, I'm up to around 108-110 mph, so you may see your speed increase as technique improves.Β 

-Peter

• :titleist:Β TSR2
  • :callaway:Β Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg:Β GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon:Β ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:Β  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

4 hours ago, Darkfrog said:

As @VinskΒ says, with 110 mph as a starting point with poor technique, you've got a natural skill that will be of great benefit down the road. When I started taking lessons, with poor technique my driver swing speed was 95-98 mph, and after close to 2 years of lessons/practice, I'm up to around 108-110 mph, so you may see your speed increase as technique improves.Β 

Β 

4 hours ago, Vinsk said:

I get the difficulty. I Golf, bat, throw, bowl, skip stones left handed...but I write, played tennis/ping pong, and throw a frisbee right handed.Β 
Β YouΒ being able to generate 110mph is great. You’ll get the under better control and maybe even increase the speed. But if you can make proper contact with 110mph you’ll be absolutely fine.

Thank you guys, I appreciate your insights!

I checked a lot of YouTube videos and it looks there are a lot of approaches:)Β 

I tried a lot of drills there and I think Malaska drills worked the best. I stopped to slice the ball - but I started to hit it fat + I am still very inconsistent πŸ™‚Β I think my weight transfer is not consistent and maybe that causes the problems.

I would like to ask you - you saw my swing in the videos above. Except the centered turn, what would you suggest me to focus on? Any drills etc?Β 
Β 

If you can give me any advice as an experienced golfers, it would be really cool:)

Β 

thanks!

Just now, swingman123123 said:

If you can give me any advice as an experienced golfers, it would be really cool:)

Unfortunately, I'm not a good enough golfer to give swing advice, but there is a wealth of instructional knowledge on this site, and plenty of folks with expert understanding of the golf swingΒ who can. If you're looking for drills, the COVID-19 30-day practice plan contains a niceΒ selection of drills that cover many aspects of the game. Maybe start with that and see if there is anything that resonates with you. The drills from days 1-5 are a good place to start for full swing.

-Peter

• :titleist:Β TSR2
  • :callaway:Β Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg:Β GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon:Β ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:Β  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

On 6/5/2020 at 2:39 PM, Vinsk said:

Β 

Hello!

based on the advice you gave me (thanks!), I tried to reduce the head movement and here is the swing video.

I think it helped me to stop hitting the ball fat!Β 

But I still see a little chicken wing/flip there πŸ™‚Β I need to work on that.

Β 

1 hour ago, swingman123123 said:

Hello!

based on the advice you gave me (thanks!), I tried to reduce the head movement and here is the swing video.

Β 

Nice improvement with the head! Your chicken wing is coming from the last second overpowering of your trail ( right) wrist/hand. Watch it slowly...you have good lag coming down then your right hand takes over just prior to impact.Β 
There are many guys here much better than me at analysis so I’ll call on them to help out! @boogielicious, @billchao. @iacasΒ is a top instructor and runs this site. He’ll probably chime in but as you can imagine he’s crazy busy but will offer some help when he can. @saevel25, @klineka....as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, swingman123123 said:

Hello!

Β 

Thats a nice improvement with your head, good job. Can you get both a face on and down the line video next time?Β 

The down the line view will allow us to see your clubface position at various points of the swing, if your clubface is open,Β you might be flipping a littleΒ to square the face.

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver:Β :callaway:Β Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:Β Β :cobra:Β Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons:Β :tmade:Β P770 (4-PW)
Wedges:Β :callaway:Β MD3 50Β  Β MD5 54 58Β degreeΒ Β 
Putter:Β :odyssey:Β  White Hot RX #1
Ball:Β :srixon:Β Z Star XV

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

Nice improvement with the head! Your chicken wing is coming from the last second overpowering of your trail ( right) wrist/hand. Watch it slowly...you have good lag coming down then your right hand takes over just prior to impact.Β 
There are many guys here much better than me at analysis so I’ll call on them to help out! @boogielicious, @billchao. @iacasΒ is a top instructor and runs this site. He’ll probably chime in but as you can imagine he’s crazy busy but will offer some help when he can. @saevel25, @klineka....as well.

Thank you very much! πŸ™‚

It looks you are right with that chicken wing - I looked at it closely and in even slower motion and it looks to me that the left wrist and forearm isn't moving/rotationΒ in right direction right after impact. Maybe it's because of the fact that my left arm/hand/forearm is a lot weaker than right one - weaker & less precise in movement.

regarding lag - do you think it's okay? To me it looks I am casting the club a bit...

Β 

4 minutes ago, klineka said:

Thats a nice improvement with your head, good job. Can you get both a face on and down the line video next time?Β 

The down the line view will allow us to see your clubface position at various points of the swing, if your clubface is open,Β you might be flipping a littleΒ to square the face.

Yes, I'll try to film both angles next time - I read what you sent regarding filming camera angles etc. -Β I need to find a way of how to place the phone higher above the ground.Β 

Thank you!

Here’s a comparison for you: I chose a pro golfer who’s similar in build to you. Notice the position of his hands at the same time in your downswings, shaft about parallel to ground ( P6 ). You’ve swayed out your lead side a bit which caused your hands to get behind a bit. See your posture compared to his? Shoulder level? Look closely at the pro picture because his club is parallel to ground. That line is the range rope that kinda looks like the club.965E80CF-B2A2-43F1-9881-F989B1C8ED48.jpeg.43ad35875d7aa5b6ed821de00c4413fe.jpeg6EA3B7DB-1F94-4ED4-85AA-170F61DEF9B9.thumb.jpeg.7333d40c461f0ccb1a07a89eda483e9e.jpeg

Β 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Here’s a comparison for you: I chose a pro golfer who’s similar in build to you. Notice the position of his hands at the same time in your downswings, shaft about parallel to ground ( P6 ). You’ve swayed out your lead side a bit which caused your hands to get behind a bit. See your posture compared to his? Shoulder level? Look closely at the pro picture because his club is parallel to ground. That line is the range rope that kinda looks like the club.965E80CF-B2A2-43F1-9881-F989B1C8ED48.jpeg.43ad35875d7aa5b6ed821de00c4413fe.jpeg6EA3B7DB-1F94-4ED4-85AA-170F61DEF9B9.thumb.jpeg.7333d40c461f0ccb1a07a89eda483e9e.jpeg

Β 

Interesting πŸ™‚Β So it looks less body movement is the better... I'll try it today at the range.

There is one thing that's not very clear to me -- centered hip turn vs. head position. During the backswing, I try to move my right hip as far back as possible and during the downswing (pre-impact & impact moment), I try to move my left hip as far back as possible. And I think, this leads to lowering the head position - what should I do to prevent that?

Try the day 5 and 6 drills from this thread. I use Day 5 as a warm up to refresh the feel of good contact.Β 

Β 

Scott

Titleist, Edel,Β Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note:Β This thread is 1119 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!