Please Use Title Case on New Topics
Crim

First Time Club Fit (Driver), Should I?

40 posts / 2146 viewsLast Reply

I would love to get a full set of custom fit clubs, but I just don't have the finances right now. 

I've been getting a lot of advice lately about at least getting my driver fit. I have a couple questions. 

For reference, my 7 iron carries around 165 yards. My driver carries around 230. I always thought the driver should be carrying a bit more at this point, or is this pretty equal?

Next, i have a bad back, I've injured it once this year already because of over-swinging driver, is there a certain weight or shaft I should be looking at that may put more ease on my spine?

Last, there's a couple different club fitting places in the Minneapolis area, would you go with a 2nd swing place and get a used driver fitted? Or would you go brand new?

Thanks in advance. 

13 minutes ago, Crim said:

For reference, my 7 iron carries around 165 yards. My driver carries around 230. I always thought the driver should be carrying a bit more at this point, or is this pretty equal?

These two don't add up. If you're hitting your 7i at optimal launch conditions, your driver carry is too short. If you're hitting your driver at optimal launch conditions, your 7i carry distance isn't accurate.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

18 minutes ago, Crim said:

I would love to get a full set of custom fit clubs, but I just don't have the finances right now. 

I've been getting a lot of advice lately about at least getting my driver fit. I have a couple questions. 

Next, i have a bad back, I've injured it once this year already because of over-swinging driver, is there a certain weight or shaft I should be looking at that may put more ease on my spine?

Last, there's a couple different club fitting places in the Minneapolis area, would you go with a 2nd swing place and get a used driver fitted? Or would you go brand new?

Thanks in advance. 

Go get a driver fitting...and bring your 7i.😀

24 minutes ago, billchao said:

These two don't add up. If you're hitting your 7i at optimal launch conditions, your driver carry is too short. If you're hitting your driver at optimal launch conditions, your 7i carry distance isn't accurate.

I'm not completely sure about that Bill. I'd say you are correct if his 7 iron is traditionally lofted. If he's playing Callaway Roque X irons.. eh, it might be about right. 

Similarly, if he hasn't been fit for his driver, it's likely that he's not hitting it at optimal launch conditions. 

48 minutes ago, Crim said:

Yeah, like @billchao said unless you are playing some extra low lofted irons you probably should be getting a bit more out of the driver. 

If your irons are traditionally lofted than you are hitting irons very well. Your driver should be a concern either for lessons or for getting fit. Without seeing your swing, launch monitor numbers, or even knowing what type of clubs you are playing, I'd say "Yes, go get a driver fitting." 

As to where to get fit. That totally depends on your budget. 

1 hour ago, Crim said:

Last, there's a couple different club fitting places in the Minneapolis area,

some place safe!

I don't believe it would be wrong to take your 7 iron to the driver fitting.   (make sure to take your old driver). :whistle:  The fitter could make recommendations.

Just now, billchao said:

Thanks Bill, That's what I figured. The driver and 7i are from the same set. Both Taylormade Burners. I have hit a couple other 7 irons to make sure mine isn't delofted, the couple others were in between a 160 to 170 carry as well. I probably should have mentioned my 5w and 3w carry which is from the same set. 5w carries right around 205, 3w carries around 215 to 220. I feel like my driver should then be carrying around 250?   

Just now, Vinsk said:

Go get a driver fitting...and bring your 7i.😀

Thanks, Vinsk! 

Just now, ChetlovesMer said:

I'm not completely sure about that Bill. I'd say you are correct if his 7 iron is traditionally lofted. If he's playing Callaway Roque X irons.. eh, it might be about right. 

Similarly, if he hasn't been fit for his driver, it's likely that he's not hitting it at optimal launch conditions. 

Yeah, like @billchao said unless you are playing some extra low lofted irons you probably should be getting a bit more out of the driver. 

If your irons are traditionally lofted than you are hitting irons very well. Your driver should be a concern either for lessons or for getting fit. Without seeing your swing, launch monitor numbers, or even knowing what type of clubs you are playing, I'd say "Yes, go get a driver fitting." 

As to where to get fit. That totally depends on your budget. 

Thanks, Chet. What is a reasonable price for getting fit for a driver do you think? 

Just now, dennyjones said:

some place safe!

I don't believe it would be wrong to take your 7 iron to the driver fitting.   (make sure to take your old driver). :whistle:  The fitter could make recommendations.

Haha, the fam and I just went to Lake Street today for the first time to look at the George Floyd memorial, very peaceful right now. Thanks, Denny. 

Just now, Crim said:

Thanks Bill, That's what I figured. The driver and 7i are from the same set. Both Taylormade Burners. I have hit a couple other 7 irons to make sure mine isn't delofted, the couple others were in between a 160 to 170 carry as well. I probably should have mentioned my 5w and 3w carry which is from the same set. 5w carries right around 205, 3w carries around 215 to 220. I feel like my driver should then be carrying around 250?   

Just off the top of my head, 240-250 sounds about right given what I'm assuming your swing speed is based off your carry numbers. You're probably not getting the most out of all of your woods, but the driver is the most egregious one.

Just now, billchao said:

Just off the top of my head, 240-250 sounds about right given what I'm assuming your swing speed is based off your carry numbers. You're probably not getting the most out of all of your woods, but the driver is the most egregious one.

Gotcha, yeah it baffles me, I wonder if it's possible I just hit irons better than woods and driver. 

Well, I'll find out soon. I'll try to get a fitting appointment this week. 

9 minutes ago, Crim said:

Gotcha, yeah it baffles me, I wonder if it's possible I just hit irons better than woods and driver. 

Sure is. I know I do.

Woods are longer, too, so whatever swing flaws you have tend to get magnified with the longer clubs.

11 minutes ago, Crim said:

Well, I'll find out soon. I'll try to get a fitting appointment this week. 

Good luck! Keep us updated on how you do.

13 hours ago, Crim said:

Thanks, Chet. What is a reasonable price for getting fit for a driver do you think? 

Well,... A lot of places will do a fitting for you and refund all or most of the fitting cost if you purchase your driver from them. The last place I got fit for a driver charged me $140 and I got to apply $100 of it towards the cost of the new driver. The fitting took an hour and a half so I feel like that was a lot of value. 

Some places will literally offer free fittings. Either all the time or they will run specials with free fittings. Those are good times to take advantage. If you fitting is free and the fitter does a good job I'd suggest tipping him/her. 

Having said all of that a good fitting can cost anywhere from $40 to $120. I would avoid any thing that's over $150 unless you are getting a full bag fitting. If @billchao is right, and he usually is. You should be able to get 20, 30 yards more out of your driver. If that happens during a fitting its totally worth the price you pay. 

Let us know how it all turns out.

13 hours ago, Crim said:

As far as driver vs. iron, they are two fairly different things. If you are delivering the club similarly, you'll be adding loads of spin on the driver that isn't good for distance. I would love to hear what your delivery numbers on driver at the start of the fit, particularly AoA and spin loft (AoA to delivered loft). Keep us posted after the fit!

Conditions that I am talking about shown here:

Edited by Bonvivant

A lighter club equals faster swing speed and therefor longer drives.

But the swing remains the same.

1 minute ago, NHpro said:

A lighter club equals faster swing speed and therefor longer drives.

But the swing remains the same.

Between driver and iron? Optimal delivery of the club head is completely different.

Definitely get fit.  Driver was the last club in my bag to buy new-as-in-new.   I got fit for my driver five years ago (April 2015) and my 4-wood 2-3 years later.  Much better. 

35 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

Between driver and iron? Optimal delivery of the club head is completely different.

Most of it is just setup, though. You shouldn’t have a driver swing and an iron swing. Yea you can do more of the power/speed pieces with a driver because it’s teed up, like you generally want to do less when you’re hitting wedges, but it’s basically the same swing.

2 minutes ago, billchao said:

Most of it is just setup, though. You shouldn’t have a driver swing and an iron swing. Yea you can do more of the power/speed pieces with a driver because it’s teed up, like you generally want to do less when you’re hitting wedges, but it’s basically the same swing.

I was always under the impression that the driver swing was to be more "sweepy" as to hit up on it without adding loft, whereas irons require a downward strike that is basically impossible with that sweepy of a swing. Can you clarify? (here to learn).

12 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

I was always under the impression that the driver swing was to be more "sweepy" as to hit up on it without adding loft, whereas irons require a downward strike that is basically impossible with that sweepy of a swing. Can you clarify? (here to learn).

The low point of an iron swing is after the ball. The low point of a driver swing is before the ball. Longer clubs have shallower angles into the ball than shorter ones (longer radius). It’s kind of simplified, but that’s basically it.