IGNORED

70% of All Golfers Play The Wrong Golf Ball

Note: This thread is 1374 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Interesting video.   I have a slow 90mph swing speed and I don't always hit straight.

I need a low spin ball (straighter)

that is softer & low compression (slow swing speed).   

So, ProV1 is the wrong ball for me.

I just bought a dozen Bridgestone E12 soft

I think I am done with Titliest and will leave that ball to single digit golfers

• Like 1

Titleist makes plenty of balls for double-digit handicaps -- I used to be a big fan of the DT So/Lo for example.  

Bridgestone makes great balls;  the E series are popular with good reason.

At some point, consider giving Snell's Get Sum a try.  Lots of us here at TST play them.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

24 minutes ago, Used2PlayALot said:

Yea, when I used to play, I think I used DT solo as well.   What is the current (last 10 years) model of Titliest ball for 10+ handicappers?

Unsure.  I haven't used a Titleist ball in over half a decade.  They're still good, I just have others I like more.  They have an online fitting tool -- maybe that can help? 

Titleist_FB_Default.jpg

Golf Ball Fitting helps you choose the best golf ball for your game. Attend a Titleist ball fitting event or use our online golf ball fitting tool today.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am experimenting with Pro V1s at the moment. Have not noticed any loss of distance over various florida balls I tried of all kind. I seem to pick the right club anywayN I am just a 100 mph driver swinger and less then 85 mph iron swinger. I generally play with florida balls I find on course that is in good shape. I haven´t noticed any loss of performance with them versus diverse stone balls and other cheaper "soft" models of the likes of wilson. For me I would get balls that feels nice with my putter. Some stone balls is just awful on the putting green but can be okay to hit onto it 🙂

On 6/20/2020 at 9:31 AM, Used2PlayALot said:

I agree.  But all things being equal, you might as well buy the correct ball.  

Most people, and that doesn't include people on this forum, don't have a clue what "correct" ball to use.   People on this forum are more educated than most golfers and still use what's available, cheap or whatever their friends are using.   

I agree with Erik, most golfers are going to shoot the same scores regardless of the ball they use. 

• Thumbs Up 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

On 6/19/2020 at 5:12 PM, iacas said:

Meh, most golfers are going to shoot the same scores regardless of what ball they use.

This.

But I do like the feel and performance of a premium urethane golf ball.

But....if you dropped a ProV1 and Pinnacle down and ask me to hit a PW or another iron to a pin....there's a 50% chance I might hit the Pinnacle closer to the pin.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Mr22putt said:

This.

But I do like the feel and performance of a premium urethane golf ball.

But....if you dropped a ProV1 and Pinnacle down and ask me to hit a PW or another iron to a pin....there's a 50% chance I might hit the Pinnacle closer to the pin.

Same example but putting? If you have a putter without soft insert to dampen the impact? 
Sometimes I just feel the ball could be to blame for a missed putt the way the hard balls sometimes jump from the putter face. 
This is next step in experimenting with my Pro V1s. 

• Administrator
55 minutes ago, knott said:

Sometimes I just feel the ball could be to blame for a missed putt the way the hard balls sometimes jump from the putter face. 

Hard balls don't "jump" from the putter face, though - that would have to be one of the most poorly constructed balls out there. Something was different in the stroke.

I putt with a relatively firm ball (Snell MTB Black, Pro V1, TP5x, whatever…) and a putter that's all metal. My technique is good, so I don't get any of these hits that "jump" off the face. The rare times I do, it's from my putting stroke.

Good putters can putt with anything after they've adjusted a bit to it. Balls — and putters — do have different CoR for putts. But the CoR doesn't vary from putt to putt.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

8 hours ago, iacas said:

Hard balls don't "jump" from the putter face, though - that would have to be one of the most poorly constructed balls out there. Something was different in the stroke.

I putt with a relatively firm ball (Snell MTB Black, Pro V1, TP5x, whatever…) and a putter that's all metal. My technique is good, so I don't get any of these hits that "jump" off the face. The rare times I do, it's from my putting stroke.

Good putters can putt with anything after they've adjusted a bit to it. Balls — and putters — do have different CoR for putts. But the CoR doesn't vary from putt to putt.

I agree with this. And I too play Snell MTB Pro V1. But I will say while I can adjust to any ball, its very challenging for me with Callaway Super Soft and/or Wilson Duo Soft. Those two ball models have given me a new definition of what soft "feels" like regarding putting. But I could game both if I had. 

On 7/8/2020 at 6:57 PM, Sandhills Golfe said:

I prefer a yellow Srixon Soft Feel. NIce distance, soft feel.

I like them too. But I agree with @iacasand others that the ball really doesn't matter much for folk like me - other than the fact that I play for fun and having a ball that "feels" good to me is more fun than one that doesn't. And, like the placebo effect, there might be something to it - now and then...

10 hours ago, knott said:

Same example but putting? If you have a putter without soft insert to dampen the impact? 
This is next step in experimenting with my Pro V1s. 

I have been playing my dad's 1970 Ping Anser for approx. 40 years...and I've experimented with other putters but they can't permanently knock the Ping out of the bag.

I got a great deal in January on a used mint Huntington Beach #1 putter for $55 Cdn....I love the soft feel of the milled face....but can't get use to the heavier head vs. the Ping.....I get more distance control from lagging putts with the Ping.

The last person i would listen to about which ball to play is a golf ball manufacturer's marketing rep on YouTube.  All they have are stories and generalizations.  If you want to know what ball to play, go get fit with real data for your swing.  If you're not going to do that, try a bunch of different balls and play the one you can afford and makes you confident.  As was stated above, it probably isn't going to make a huge difference anyways.

That guy in the video lost me on his first point that some golfers don't need a urethane cover because they can't compress the ball.  You need a urethane cover most on short game shots where no one compresses the ball.  That's the exact reason why they have multiple layers and a soft cover.

Edited by bweiss711

5 hours ago, Mr22putt said:

I have been playing my dad's 1970 Ping Anser for approx. 40 years...and I've experimented with other putters but they can't permanently knock the Ping out of the bag.

I got a great deal in January on a used mint Huntington Beach #1 putter for $55 Cdn....I love the soft feel of the milled face....but can't get use to the heavier head vs. the Ping.....I get more distance control from lagging putts with the Ping.

Tried the cleveland elevado a bit to soft for our slow greens and ball didnt matter much for that but yeah good putter. 

Note: This thread is 1374 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!