IGNORED

Now it's the Short Game

Note: This thread is 1364 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Driver straightened out. I even taught myself how to hit a high fade with my irons. But now my short game is absolutely killing my rounds.

I know what I'm doing. Chipping and pitching. My practice swings are perfect, but when put the ball there, I flip my wrists and skull the ball over the green. I mean this is beginner stuff. I know I shouldn't do that. I could take a lesson and the pro would tell me "don't do that!" He'd get frustrated because he'd see I know what I'm supposed to do, but for some reason when the ball gets there my brain shuts down or it engages and thinks it has to help the ball into the air. Which is garbage. It doesn't. The ball will get to target if I DON'T flip my wrists. 

I don't do this with my irons. I don't do this with my woods. Just when I'm chipping and pitching or hitting a bunker shot. It ends in disaster 90% of the time.

No no no no no.... I don't decelerate either. So when I make contact, what started out as a possible par ends up as a double bogey. 

I need a drill to practice or a couple of drills to practice. @iacas or someone please post a video with a drill for me. Thank you. Your input is appreciated

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

What range of short game are we talking about?

I've been working on the <25 yards range lately using this: 

If you're a little further out, try these two:

and

Note:  I'm also in the camp where my long game is better than my handicap and short game + putting is worse.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

• iacas changed the title to Now it's the Short Game

Something I've done for a few years (or decades) might help, since you do know how to hit the shot.  I usually take a number of practice swings, pretty quickly, picturing the shot that each one would produce, until I have made 2 or 3 in a row that feel "just right."  Then I step into the shot, taking VERY little time beyond simple alignment, and do my best to swing exactly the same as my practice swings.  I don't think about a thing, I just try to replicate the practice swings I've just made.  

• Like 2

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Meandmygolf on YouTube has helped me lots on this. 

This very much helped me get more consistent chipping. Making it as simple as a chipshot can get 

• Like 1

Chipping vs pitching technique is incredibly different. Lumping them together technique-wise doesn’t really make sense.

14 hours ago, Shindig said:

What range of short game are we talking about?

I've been working on the <25 yards range lately using this: 

If you're a little further out, try these two:

and

Note:  I'm also in the camp where my long game is better than my handicap and short game + putting is worse.

That's exactly the method I use to hit a pitch. But the last couple of rounds I started flipping my wrists through the ball. Why? Headworms.

And I chip with the putting stroke method. Except the last couple of rounds I started flipping my wrists through the ball. Why? I have no clue. Headworms.

Basically I started getting headworms when making the stroke through the ball. 

I know my yardages. Before the lockdown I used to go to the range and pick a target about 50 yds and take my 54 wedge and hit about 15 shots to it. Then do the same to 70 yds. Then use my GW and do the same to 90 yds. because I don't like making full shots with my wedges. Then 30 yds with my 58. It's all feel. This is how much gas I need to get these yardages. From rough I need more gas - like that 50 needs 70 yd gas. 

I need to get over these headworms. That means hitting the practice areas and doing this over and over and over again until I'm not doing it anymore.

I think @DaveP043 has a good suggestion for the course. Make the practice swings until I get two in a row just right, then quickly step in and do it.

But thanks for posting the videos. I watched them. I'm going to the range this afternoon and will be in the chipping area working on this.

• Like 1

Julia

Spoiler

When I get a little unstable in the short game its usually an issue where I lose the feel of the clubhead swinging freely. What gets me back is the right hand only drill allowing the club to naturally swing through the ball. I will do this drill for 15-20 balls then put both hands back on and keep the feeling. Its done wonders for me in both the short and long game. 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

• Administrator
19 hours ago, DrvFrShow said:

I need a drill to practice or a couple of drills to practice. @iacas or someone please post a video with a drill for me. Thank you. Your input is appreciated

You have Lowest Score Wins, so some games are in there.

Often the best practice is just knocking balls away from the green and playing them from whatever lie you get. I'm not a big fan of a lot of block practice on the short game. Yes, do some block practice if you're working on your technique, but it's not how you simulate game shots.

Basically, most games I'd play would include either:

• Put three balls into random lies in one place and play toward three different holes.
  • Put three balls into random lies in one place and play three different kinds of shots to one hole.
  • Put a ball around the green and play to random holes.

Inside tap-in range (including holed) is worth 5 points or something, inside 10' is 3 points, inside 20' is 0 points, outside 20' is -3 points. Play until you get to 50 or something.

Make up your own points.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Same thing happened to me a few decades ago. The chip/pitch glitch wouldn't go away. I found a new way to hit chips, and pitches. I started using my putting stroke. 

Maybe it's time to change your chipping stroke. 

Perhaps when chipping, using your putting set up, and stroke will help. With a little extra practice you can use the putting stroke for shorter pitches. 

I assume you are not flipping your wrists when putting.

Paul Runyon has a good You Tube video on the chip putt stroke. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Block practice on Monday. I had to figure out what was wrong. And there was a lot. Mostly it had to do with tension. Relaxed and everything did what it was supposed to. Pitched to targets at 15, 30, 40, and 70 yds. Funny how with the arms relaxed the hips clear and the ball goes where it's supposed to go. Also funny how much further full swing iron shots go. 

Tomorrow: chipping and short pitching from varied lies. This is the test.

Julia

Spoiler

Result of the test. 

Chipping: I've decided the best result is to play a bump and run chip. Even if I'm short sided, I'm trying to eliminate double bogeys. If I miss the green and chip too long, if I can putt decently the worst I'll end up with is a bogey unless I really messed up the hole elsewhere.

Pitching: My 54 is the go to and I got good results with it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Julia

Spoiler

Note: This thread is 1364 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!