IGNORED

Sub 70

Has anyone had any experience with Sub 70 golf clubs?  I have been seeing some really good reviews of the equipment, and they seem to have a really generous trade in program that I could probably take advantage of since I have something like six sets of irons that have varying amounts of value - yes, I am a club junkie - as well as various hybrids, wedges, and drivers, and my wife would probably love to see me clean out the club collection.

I really like the look of the 699 Pro Irons.

• Like 1

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I’ve also heard positive things about the clubs.  Only drawback is resale/ trade in value not being an oem.

if you can clear out a bunch of crap that is only losing value sitting around, go for it!

23 hours ago, bwdial said:

Has anyone had any experience with Sub 70 golf clubs?  I have been seeing some really good reviews of the equipment, and they seem to have a really generous trade in program that I could probably take advantage of since I have something like six sets of irons that have varying amounts of value - yes, I am a club junkie - as well as various hybrids, wedges, and drivers, and my wife would probably love to see me clean out the club collection.

I really like the look of the 699 Pro Irons.

As a direct to consumer brand/business model club company they are getting positive reviews by many on the web. Have friends that say their customer service is really good. You can call and speak to them about model/club specs your're interested in. They also rave about their demo program. My only personal experience with DTC (direct to consumer) brand is with Hogan. I participated in a demo with them. Really like it when you can try before buying. 

I bought a set of irons from them last year. They were great to work with. I was looking at several different sets and read about them and decided to demo their 739 irons which seemed to fit my game. They performed as well as anything else I was looking at. I live close to their facility and was able to have them fit me. I tried several of their other clubs in their fitting studio and was impressed with their different clubs. I will definitely be buying from them again when the budget allows.

DRIVER- Tour Edge EXS 220
3W- Adams Tight Lies 2
Hybrids- Cobra F8 19 *

Utility- Sub 70 699U #4
Irons - Sub 70 739 5-PW
Wedges- Tour Edge CB Pro 50, 54, 58
Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft #11

Ball- Titleist DT Trufeel

• 3 weeks later...

Bit the bullet and bought a used set on the cheap.  I had to get them extended and regripped with midsized grips, picked them up today...

... and it rained.

Hopefully I'll be able to get out tomorrow after work.

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

This topic and another on the forum piqued my interest in the Sub 70 brand. I currently play a “players style” CB set, but I’ve been wanting to try a mixed CB/MB combo set for awhile, which Sub 70 sells.

I’m not ready to quite splurge $$$ on fitting and major brand clubs in case I end up preferring my old set. Sub 70 prices looked appealing, but I was a little apprehensive about shaft customizations adding significant cost to their base price, but after speaking with the CEO, the price ended up being low enough that I figured why the hell not. I ended up getting 639 forged CB/MB combo set, 4-7 iron in CB and 8-P in MB.

The clubs look nice to me. If I’m being picky, the top line looks a little thicker than I’m used to because the edges are more squared off compared to my Wilsons that are rounded. I prefer the satin finish on the Sub 70 compared to the chrome on the Wilsons. 

When the air quality in my area improves I’m going to do some ball flight comparison using my Mevo. The Sub 70 have more modern lofts (7 iron is 32 degrees, compared to Wilson at 35 degrees) so the Sub 70 clubs might be longer.

Generally I like the concept of the DTC business model. There is some risk in it not being a known quantity, but the company was super easy to work with. By contrast, I was interested in trying the new Ben Hogan clubs 3 or so years ago, but they wouldn’t build a mixed set, so I said no thanks.

Anyways, worst case I’ve got a backup set of clubs, and if they work out, maybe I’ve got a set that I’ll enjoy playing for awhile. 

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

I had the 699 irons made for me.  The quality and PERSONAL customer service, with a phone call, is great.  Being able to choose your head, shaft, and grip was crucial.  I get a lot of questions of what irons are those?

Very satisfied.

701.jpg

702.jpg

703.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

(edited)

black and white vintage GIF

Those look really hot.  Hopefully I'll get to hit them tomorrow morning.

Eventually, I would like to get to the level of the 699 Pro irons, and get fit for them from the factory.

Edited by bwdial

They don't have point of sell retail display, but the styles shown on the photos are appealing.  I was also eyeballing the combo set. 

The price point is also very attractive.  Not sure of all the busy works on the back of the club heads, a little too much dressing up the cosmetics, maybe.  

If I don't already have 30+ sets of irons in the garage , plus two kids in grad schools, might just jump on it.  That price point is a very good motivator.  For less than the price of a used set of OEM, one can have a brand new,semi custom made iron set.  Big part of it was the savings from marketing and promotional expenses.  This is cutting into the component world.

I wonder about the designing and the making of the heads.  Didn't see any reference within their own site.  

52 minutes ago, Release said:

They don't have point of sell retail display, but the styles shown on the photos are appealing.  I was also eyeballing the combo set. 

The price point is also very attractive.  Not sure of all the busy works on the back of the club heads, a little too much dressing up the cosmetics, maybe.  

If I don't already have 30+ sets of irons in the garage , plus two kids in grad schools, might just jump on it.  That price point is a very good motivator.  For less than the price of a used set of OEM, one can have a brand new,semi custom made iron set.  Big part of it was the savings from marketing and promotional expenses.  This is cutting into the component world.

I wonder about the designing and the making of the heads.  Didn't see any reference within their own site.  

I've seen a video where the owner of the company talks about working with designers and manufacturers in China to develop their designs.  I can't remember where I saw it, but I think it was something on a review site.

1 hour ago, Release said:

Not sure of all the busy works on the back of the club heads, a little too much dressing up the cosmetics, maybe.

Tbh, I wasn’t sure if I liked it or not in the website photos, but in person it’s more subtle, and I think it looks pretty good. I went for it because it was a good price to explore a combo set.  Different aesthetic than a classic blade or players CB design though. Depends on the golfer’s visual preferences I supposed. 

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

13 hours ago, bwdial said:

I've seen a video where the owner of the company talks about working with designers and manufacturers in China to develop their designs.  I can't remember where I saw it, but I think it was something on a review site.

I'd missed that part, didn't have time to review all of the content.  That would  my guess also, since even the OEM are shipping the components from China to be assembled here.

I know the major manufacturing and factories were gradually moving from the SE China to inland because of the increased wages, increased overhead had brought up the total cost of manufacturing, so the factories moved their equipments inland.  

Next step would be moving to Vietnam, like some of the factories already done so.  Know a few shafts were made in Vietnam now.  Whether Vietnam or other countries could take over completely, that will leave to be seen.  

The economic revolution had its costs.  Fair wages, insurance , labor union ( Right ?  ), and recent years the income tax  ( Ha, they should have the income tax there long ago since they had moved from a State welfare system to Western capitalism ( ish) system ).   

Anyway, no surprise there.  The issue will be consistency in the supply line and the stability of the pricing.  Not sure if the practice of sub-contract to supporting contractors to meet the volume demand still true.  Used to be everything will be forged/cast in the primary factory with the best equipment available then, later batch will be sub contracted out to smaller factories all around their country to maintain the competitive low cost. thus the quality control will suffer.    

13 hours ago, Darkfrog said:

Tbh, I wasn’t sure if I liked it or not in the website photos, but in person it’s more subtle, and I think it looks pretty good. I went for it because it was a good price to explore a combo set.  Different aesthetic than a classic blade or players CB design though. Depends on the golfer’s visual preferences I supposed. 

I agree, the price point is very attractive, as the line has blurred into getting the components and put them together.  

I wonder of they'll ship components to the hobbyist instead of assembled set.  I'm sure someone would take that choice if the price point is meaningfully different.

My personal preference is a blank head with only the numbers on the sole nothing in the cavity except for moving the weight around.   A plan functioning tool is more beautiful in my eyes than something with fancy decorative design or promotional logo.

Pretty certain those design in the cavity was presented by the factory designer as a free feature which to make the total package more attractive.    We'll see, some golfers might like those patterns, just like some had stamped and pint filled lots of stuff on their putters and wedges.  Not my cup of tea.  But there is an idea if that blank looking head is available to the public with lower cost.  Some of us will take up on it.

Edited by Release

• 2 weeks later...

So far, I've only been able to hit them into the net in the backyard, and I'm nursing a sore right elbow, but they really feel hot off the face.  I am looking forward to getting them out on the course and see what they can do.

28 minutes ago, bwdial said:

So far, I've only been able to hit them into the net in the backyard, and I'm nursing a sore right elbow, but they really feel hot off the face.  I am looking forward to getting them out on the course and see what they can do.

Take a few Ibuprofen and pack couple of travelers of bourbon for the course. You gotta go play ‘em!

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

• 2 months later...
(edited)
On 9/2/2020 at 9:15 PM, woodzie264 said:

Take a few Ibuprofen and pack couple of travelers of bourbon for the course. You gotta go play ‘em!

I pulled a muscle in my back a while back, so I've not been able to test them out until recently.  I took them to the course with my four kids, my wife, and Ping G30s, and played nine holes.  As excited as I was, I have to say that they were not able to push the Pings out of the bag. They just weren't as forgiving, and felt a good bit heavier, which seemed to slow my swing down.  Whatever distance gains the hot face got me, seemed to be lost.  I was consistently longer, and more accurate with the Pings.

I may look into getting them reshafted with graphite shafts, but that's not going to happen for a while.

Edited by bwdial

25 minutes ago, bwdial said:

I pulled a muscle in my back a while back, so I've not been able to test them out until recently.  I took them to the course with my four kids, my wife, and Ping G30s, and played nine holes.  As excited as I was, I have to say that they were not able to push the Pings out of the bag. They just weren't as forgiving, and felt a good bit heavier, which seemed to slow my swing down.  Whatever distance gains the hot face got me, seemed to be lost.  I was consistently longer, and more accurate with the Pings.

I may look into getting them reshafted with graphite shafts, but that's not going to happen for a while.

As you can tell by my avatar & my bag, I’m a Ping fan. Love’em

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

2 hours ago, woodzie264 said:

As you can tell by my avatar & my bag, I’m a Ping fan. Love’em

Bill Murray GIF by Groundhog Day