IGNORED

golfthyme's "Nuts" Topic

golfthyme
Note: This thread is 1047 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 hour ago, Sandy Divot said:

Are they playing lift, clean, and place? There has been a lot of rain in Greensboro recently. Flash flood warnings last night

Yup

1 hour ago, golfthyme said:

Adam Long just marked and raised his ball in the fairway! Is that allowed now?

When courses on tour get very wet, they allow this practice to prevent a player getting penalized for hitting the fairway. Sometimes the ball will pick up excessive mud, or even fully plug, so to combat this lift, clean, and place is instated as to not have players that are accurate off the tee get penalized.

I am not a fan of it, but understand why they do it.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, golfthyme said:

So much for rules!

What the f*** are you talking about now?

Please be careful with your response. If it's crap, you're done.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 9 months later...

What if the pros actually had to follow the rules of golf?

and I mean the ancient rules of Golf!

1) play the course as you find it!

(no excepts)

2) play the ball as it lies!

(only exception being to tee again with 2 stroke penalty for out of bounds ) and no grounding club in a bunker: 

forbidden practices:

1) never allowed relief

2) never allowed to touch your ball after teeing up

3) never allowed preferred tees

and an old bag of clubs too!

any three woods

any 8 irons 

man old style blade putter

a pitching wedge 

a sand wedge 

( no high lofted wedges and no hybrids )

True spirit of the game, I find it much more rewarding playing golf the old school way, a real mans game!

No offense to modern ways intended, just wondering

some of your assumptions of what original made up the rules of golf seem incorrect...

The Original 13 Rules of Golf | Professional Golfers Career College (golfcollege.edu)

Read the 13 original rules of golf, dating back to 1744(!)

21 minutes ago, Oleschool said:

(no excepts)

This was incorrect... You were able to remove lose impediments around your ball when on the green..

4. “You are not to remove, stones, bones or any break clubs for the sake of playing your ball, except upon the fair green and that only within a club’s length of your ball”

21 minutes ago, Oleschool said:

(only exception being to tee again with 2 stroke penalty for out of bounds ) and no grounding club in a bunker: 

forbidden practices:

1) never allowed relief

This is also incorrect. There were a very limit instance were you were able to take free relief and relief from water hazards (hence touching the ball). 

5. “If your ball comes among water or any watery filth, you are at liberty to take out your ball and bringing it behind the hazard and teeing it, you may play it with any club and allow your adversary a stroke for so getting out your ball.”

6. “If your balls be found anywhere touching one another, you are to lift the first ball, till you play the last.”

13. “Neither trench, ditch or dyke, made for the preservation of the links, nor the scholar’s holes or the soldier’s lines, shall be accounted a hazard; but the ball is to be taken out/teed and played with any iron club.”

23 minutes ago, Oleschool said:

I don't find this interesting. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Pros have played with hickory clubs. Other than that I wouldn’t find anything else very interesting. It’s like watching NBA players play with a sewn cloth ball and a peach basket. meh.

• Like 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

1 minute ago, Vinsk said:

Pros have played with hickory clubs.

That might be interesting for a tournament. Find an older course that use to hold a PGA Tour event and require the use of older clubs and golf balls. 

I don't think the original rules make it more interesting. 

• Like 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

1 hour ago, ShawnSum said:

Troll account?

☝️

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

1 minute ago, Oleschool said:

That’s what’s great about this forum, it’s so friendly, just state your opinion and somebody will contradict you everytime!

It just gets tiring when everyone kisses your ass all the time. Rather have a spirited discussion. 

Also, stop trolling please. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

2 hours ago, saevel25 said:

That might be interesting for a tournament. Find an older course that use to hold a PGA Tour event and require the use of older clubs and golf balls.

I think this would be a cool exhibition/charity event or something. I'd probably tune in.

-Peter

15 minutes ago, Oleschool said:

That’s what’s great about this forum, it’s so friendly, just state your opinion and somebody will contradict you everytime!

Your profile says "newbie" but this comment makes it sound like you have been here before...

-Peter

3 hours ago, Oleschool said:

(no excepts)

forbidden practices:

1) never allowed relief

and an old bag of clubs too!

any three woods

any 8 irons 

man old style blade putter

a pitching wedge 

a sand wedge 

( no high lofted wedges and no hybrids )

True spirit of the game, I find it much more rewarding playing golf the old school way, a real mans game!

No offense to modern ways intended, just wondering

Your question seems like a 2 part question. What if the pros had to use crappy-old-ass-equipment? And what if golf rules never evolved? 

I guess the answer to the crappy equipment question is that fewer people would play the game. Many of the changes weren't initially done to improve the performance of the equipment. It was done to improve the manufacturability of the equipment. The performance gains came along later. Imagine if everything in golf still had to be hand made? That's why we don't drive hand made cars. 

If the equipment evolved but the rules didn't change. I really don't think it would change all that much. We'd be used to what ever the rules are/were. ... But if you think pace of play is bad now....

2 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Pros have played with hickory clubs. Other than that I wouldn’t find anything else very interesting. It’s like watching NBA players play with a sewn cloth ball and a peach basket. meh.

Totally agree. 

Or how about watching NFL games before they invented the forward pass? "What do you think they're going to do on this play? ... Run or .... Run?" 

• Like 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Note: This thread is 1047 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!