imgoinhungry

Swing Thought for Weight Shift?

36 posts / 1790 viewsLast Reply

Can someone help me out with weightshift?  What is the first thought I should have to start my down swing?  Is it a squat?  Is it pushing my left foot into the ground?  Is it shifting laterally toward the target by pushimg off the ground with my right foot?

Also, do I make this weight shift movement with my driver as well as my irons??

Well, everyone's feels are different on this. Even the same player will have different feels at different times.

Do you have a "Member Swing" topic?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

Well, everyone's feels are different on this. Even the same player will have different feels at different times.

Do you have a "Member Swing" topic?

I do.  Havent updated it in a while.  Will try to get some newer videos posted, as my swing has changed quite a bit since the last post.

I will defer to anything Iacas or the other more experienced guys would tell you, but I believe it was Harvey Penick (in his Little Red Book) who describes the forward weight shift as if you were swinging a bucket full of water. Maybe over-simplistic, but I found it a helpful notion. 

Edited by woodzie264

7 minutes ago, woodzie264 said:

I will defer to anything Iacas or the other more experienced guys would tell you, but I believe it was Harvey Penick (in his Little Red Book) who describes the forward weight shift as if you were swinging a bucket full of water. Maybe over-simplistic, but I found it a helpful notion. 

intetesting.  will try it.

I am a firm believer in the idea that weight shifts all by itself.  If you are balanced at address and you move both arms and the club behind the center line...your "weight" is greater on your back foot.  When you complete your swing, and both arms and the club are forward of the center line...your "weight" is greater on your front foot.  The efficacy with which you effect that transition is the Holy Grail.

7 minutes ago, Piz said:

I am a firm believer in the idea that weight shifts all by itself.  If you are balanced at address and you move both arms and the club behind the center line...your "weight" is greater on your back foot.  When you complete your swing, and both arms and the club are forward of the center line...your "weight" is greater on your front foot.  The efficacy with which you effect that transition is the Holy Grail.

If this were the case, compression would be simple and chunked shots wouldnt occur?

59 minutes ago, imgoinhungry said:

as my swing has changed quite a bit since the last post.

How long has it been? That may be impressive.

Just now, Vinsk said:

I think I last posted a swing video in April.  Ive worked a lot on not swaying amd getting my high hands higher at the top of the backswing since then... and have tried to shift my weight to front foor better.

2 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Only been playing golf for a year and a half.

10 minutes ago, Piz said:

If you are balanced at address and you move both arms and the club behind the center line...your "weight" is greater on your back foot.

Maybe for some this occurs without a thought. Surely you’ve seen the classic reverse shift occur in players? I see it all the time at the range and I’m not even an instructor.

Just now, iacas said:

It doesn't.

It seems that way to me.  When I try to shift my weight, intentionally, I lose track of the golf club.  I am an Ernest Jones devotee.  If the golf club behaves I have no choice but to follow along.  My good swing has nothing to do with a conscious effort to shift my weight.  When I make a good pass...I have no sensation of shifting my weight.

Blah...blah...etc...right?  It's just the way I think.

Just now, Piz said:

It seems that way to me.  When I try to shift my weight, intentionally, I lose track of the golf club.  I am an Ernest Jones devotee.  If the golf club behaves I have no choice but to follow along.  My good swing has nothing to do with a conscious effort to shift my weight.  When I make a good pass...I have no sensation of shifting my weight.

Blah...blah...etc...right?  It's just the way I think.

Feel ain't real, and Ernest Jones stuff is all "feels" because if you actually swing the way Ernest Jones said you "should" or whatever… let's just say you wouldn't be very good at golf. OT to get into it here, though.

The weight shift doesn't happen "automatically." That's a fact, and I prefer to deal in those, while catering the "feels" to the golfer as an individual.

One only has to visit any local range to see that it's not "automatic."

5 minutes ago, imgoinhungry said:

If this were the case, compression would be simple and chunked shots wouldnt occur?

I don't think of it that way.  There is no magic method...only variations of imperfect ones.

9 hours ago, Piz said:

There is no magic method.

Thinking the weight shift occurs naturally and teaching that is a bit magical no? 

10 hours ago, imgoinhungry said:

Can someone help me out with weightshift?  What is the first thought I should have to start my down swing?  Is it a squat?  Is it pushing my left foot into the ground?  Is it shifting laterally toward the target by pushimg off the ground with my right foot?

Also, do I make this weight shift movement with my driver as well as my irons??

I agree with Erik, feel ain’t real. Let’s see your current swing in your My Swing thread. Weight shift can be over done too. I had to back off a bit last year because my Evolvr instructor noticed it was being over done and caused me to lose rotational speed before impact.

9 hours ago, iacas said:

One only has to visit any local range to see that it's not "automatic."

I have a vision in my head of a guy flailing at the ball and the weight shifting to the back leg as the front leg comes off the ground. So to your point, I would agree without hesitation. 

47 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Thinking the weight shift occurs naturally and teaching that is a bit magical no? 

The only point I am trying to make is that I don't concentrate on shifting my weight.  I used to but, over time, it kind of faded into the back ground.  Since it isn't possible to think about everything at once; it follows that any particular swing is an amalgam of deliberate and rote actions.  And those actions would vary depending on what sort of situation you found yourself in.