IGNORED

Justin Thomas Curses and in 2021 Uses Homophobic Slurs

iacas

F&#%  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have a problem or dislike Justin Thomas (or anyone else, really) cursing on TV while playing golf?

• Yes, it's a problem.
    • No, no problem here.

• Administrator

Renamed this topic from "Justin Thomas Frequently Says "F*#%" - Problem?" and merged in the posts from the 2021 Tournament of Champions when Justin Thomas said another bad word and, consequently, lost his Ralph Lauren sponsorship:

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2020%2F0621%2Fr711105_1

In a statement, Ralph Lauren said the anti-gay slur Justin Thomas used in a PGA Tour event last week conflicts "with the inclusive culter that we strive to uphold."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7 minutes ago, iacas said:

Renamed this topic from "Justin Thomas Frequently Says "F*#%" - Problem?" and merged in the posts from the 2021 Tournament of Champions when Justin Thomas said another bad word and, consequently, lost his Ralph Lauren sponsorship:

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2020%2F0621%2Fr711105_1

In a statement, Ralph Lauren said the anti-gay slur Justin Thomas used in a PGA Tour event last week conflicts "with the inclusive culter that we strive to uphold."

Does that mean we don't have to see that large polo pony again?  That was a stupid word for him to use, tip of tongue.  I have used words in anger, on a golf course, about a certain mother (but I love my Mother) that I would not want picked up on a mic.  Generally, I just grumble loudly... arrrggghhh!.  That covers anything and everything and I don't lose my sponsorship with Ralph Lauren.

Most amateurs myself included are not good enough to swear about a bad shot. I mean what’s really on the line?  Pro’s on the other hand have a lot at stake. Losing a sponsor is a pretty big deal. Will it impact Justin? Initially, but it will wear off over time. But as some already stated, the noise generated from the crowds bring out the comments from the players loud and clear.  Technology could fix it yes but it would look and sound edited.  
A Gentleman’s Game? Not lately!  Compared to other sports it was probably nothing if it was just the F-Word but adding the homophobic after was the deal breaker.  Pretty sure Titleist won’t dump him.

If he was gay would it matter that he used that word? Again same premise, gay man missed putt yells out in anger not to anyone just yells out in frustration the word. Does that make a difference to the reactions? 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

20 minutes ago, jmanbooyaa said:

If he was gay would it matter that he used that word? Again same premise, gay man missed putt yells out in anger not to anyone just yells out in frustration the word. Does that make a difference to the reactions? 

Yes it does. 

Who says it and the context in which they say the word matters. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Again same scenario just as a gay person. Same context correct? 

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, jmanbooyaa said:

Again same scenario just as a gay person. Same context correct? 

Justin Thomas isn't gay, so what's your point here?

@saevel25 answered your question.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

He did answer, you are correct.  He than changed the criteria of the question by adding the word context. I simply pointed out the context did not change.  

My point of the question is to see a different side and maybe not be so hypocritical. We are still talking about just a word. Either you condemn the word or you don’t. There cannot be different sets of rules based on sexual preference. 

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

• Administrator
1 minute ago, jmanbooyaa said:

He did answer, you are correct.  He than changed the criteria of the question by adding the word context. I simply pointed out the context did not change.

The context does change.

There are words that are more or less acceptable depending on who says them. A black man can call another black man a word, heck, a woman can call another "bitch" and the context is often quite different than if a man calls her that. Heck, I can say "You're so stupid" and mean it in very different ways.

My point of the question is to see a different side and maybe not be so hypocritical.

Who's being hypocritical?

We are still talking about just a word.

The word has a meaning, and it's offensive and pejorative to a protected class.

Either you condemn the word or you don’t. There cannot be different sets of rules based on sexual preference. 

That's not true at all. See the examples above.

• Like 1

Oops..embarrassing moment for him, I’m sure he’ll recover

Makes sense though, Ralph Lauren is  a fancy fashion company.

What do you all think he wears next tournament?! Will Nike snag him while his value is low?

On 8/13/2020 at 5:02 PM, iacas said:

Shank?

Aside: I've never understood why people won't say that word. It's just a word, just like "f***" is just a word. In the UK, "wanker" is perceived as worse than it is in the U.S. I think. They're all just words.

You might think I went after you a bit, but please know it's all just academic. I'm not going after you, but more just using what you say as a launching point to get to express my opinion on the topic. I'm going after the ideas you might have expressed, but not after you.

I take it you’ve heard George Carlin’s “Seven Words You Can’t Say On Television”. “400,000 words in the English language and 7 of them you can’t say on television... they’re no bad words, BAD thoughts, BAD intentions, and WORDS...

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, onthehunt526 said:

they’re no bad words, BAD thoughts, BAD intentions, and WORDS...

So Justin Thomas had good intentions when he said an anti-gay slur?

Of course not. He meant it negatively. He'd just missed a putt.

34 minutes ago, iacas said:

Who's being hypocritical

How is trying to see things from a different perspective being hypocritical? 

He used a word that is no more offensive to a ball than saying any other word. It was a private moment in his mind that emotion spit out. Not meant towards a person. He was embarrassed, that is a real emotion. To make it more than that is irresponsible. 

He says that directed at a person, than we there is an issue.  

• Booooooooo 1

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

• Administrator

How is trying to see things from a different perspective being hypocritical? 

I asked who was being hypocritical. You're the one who threw out the "hypocritical" stuff to begin with.

He used a word that is no more offensive to a ball than saying any other word.

No.

It was a private moment

No.

Not meant towards a person.

We understand that. It would have been worse had he said it to someone — another example of how context matters.

He says that directed at a person, than we there is an issue.  

No, that would have been a bigger issue. It's still an issue.

Look, shit like this needs to stop. Excusing it simply allows it to continue to exist. I'm not saying we over-react, but acting like what JT did or said is "okay" because it was directed "at a ball" or something and not a person is not the way to handle this stuff.

What he did and said was "bad." It wasn't the worst thing he could have done even with that specific word, but it wasn't "nothing" or "excusable" or anything like that.

That he needed to apologize (and that some don't think that was enough — I'm on a forum with some parents of gay children who were very disappointed in JT, etc.) is evidence of the fact that it was a "bad" thing to have done/said.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

We understand that. It would have been worse had he said it to someone — another example of how context matters

I don’t know if you do, sexual orientation is not context it is a preference. It is still a man talking to a ball. If it offends you it offends you. That is your right will not argue that. 

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

16 minutes ago, iacas said:

So Justin Thomas had good intentions when he said an anti-gay slur?

Of course not. He meant it negatively. He'd just missed a putt.

I didn’t say that. He had both, bad thoughts and intentions. 

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

• Administrator

I don’t know if you do, sexual orientation is not context it is a preference.

The sexual orientation of the person saying it matters, just like the gender or the race or the relationship matters in the other examples I gave.

Just now, onthehunt526 said:

I didn’t say that. He had both, bad thoughts and intentions. 

Fair enough. I misunderstood what you were trying to say.

I thought in saying "they're no bad words" you meant that there are no bad words, so if JT didn't mean it badly, it wasn't a "bad" thing.

5 minutes ago, iacas said:

The sexual orientation of the person saying it matters, just like the gender or the race or the relationship matters in the other examples I gave

So if JT comes out as gay you are ok with him saying what he said to a ball? Outrageous!

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges