IGNORED

TST Takes on Sand Valley, WI (July 18-23, 2021)

cipher
Note: This thread is 979 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yea I’m fully committed, too. Tickets are booked already, the only two things left I need to do are to buy a good travel bag and six dozen golf balls 😉

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

58 minutes ago, billchao said:

six dozen golf balls 😉

What u gonna do the remaining four days? 😜

Edited by GolfLug
  • Funny 1

Vishal S.

1 hour ago, GolfLug said:

What u gonna do the remaining four days? 😜

Drink.

• Funny 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Haha, it actually takes a lot of "talent" to lose golf balls at Sand Valley. 

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

17 minutes ago, cipher said:

Challenge accepted!!!! 

• Like 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

1 hour ago, cipher said:

I’m quite “talented.”

• Like 1

Bill

My Swing Thread

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

That guy has a series of videos on how to play both of the courses there. Here's hole #1 at Sand Valley.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator

Bill

My Swing Thread

(edited)

I'll have a few pointers on SV, when the times comes. Tee shot on #2 is a bit tricky and the lake Michigan shaped bunker 261 out on #6 is not visible from the tee are a couple.  Also without a lot of hurting wind your drives are going to go farther than many of us are used to.  I haven't played Mammoth but I think the tee shots are not as difficult.  

6-7-comp.jpg

A look at 6th hole at Sand Valley, a beautiful Coore & Crenshaw-designed par 4 that forces a decision off the tee with unique design features

@billchaoBlack I believe.

Edited by cipher
  • Informative 1

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

9 hours ago, cipher said:

I'll have a few pointers on SV, when the times comes. Tee shot on #2 is a bit tricky and the lake Michigan shaped bunker 261 out on #6 is not visible from the tee are a couple.  Also without a lot of hurting wind your drives are going to go farther than many of us are used to.  I haven't played Mammoth but I think the tee shots are not as difficult.  

6-7-comp.jpg

A look at 6th hole at Sand Valley, a beautiful Coore & Crenshaw-designed par 4 that...

@billchaoBlack I believe.

It seems in general it would be a good idea not have aversion to sand - fairway or green side. Are fairway sand areas waste areas? Not gonna worry about target golf off the tee (not exactly a choice anyway...lol).

On this hole, I think ending up in the right green side trap laying two would very acceptable, especially if pin is in the repellent front side of the green. 

How did you play it?

Edited by GolfLug

Vishal S.

The course doesn't look tight. Just doing some measurements, most fairways are like 40-50 yards wide. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

(edited)
3 hours ago, GolfLug said:

It seems in general it would be a good idea not have aversion to sand - fairway or green side. Are fairway sand areas waste areas? Not gonna worry about target golf off the tee (not exactly a choice anyway...lol).

On this hole, I think ending up in the right green side trap laying two would very acceptable, especially if pin is in the repellent front side of the green. 

How did you play it?

I "tried" to play just to the right of that first larger sand trap finger and pulled it. Caddy told me I would be in the second "Lake Michigan" trap but I carried it somehow. I am guessing we were playing the sand tees on this hole. We played orange/sand combo if I recall. I had about 85-90 in and bladed my shot over the green. Don't go there. Haha  

23 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

The course doesn't look tight. Just doing some measurements, most fairways are like 40-50 yards wide. 

It is very wide, that is why it is tough to lose golf balls out there. #9 is about one of the only holes you can lose a ball. Water to the right and front of the green. 285 to the front, elevated tee. No driver for you, haha. Very fun risk-reward hole. 

Edited by cipher

Nate

2 hours ago, cipher said:

I had about 85-90 in

Yeah, for some of yall neither of the traps would be in play..  I guess the big wasteland on the right would be waiting for the ones that roll through the fairway. 

I'm gonna say a bogey here will count as a success in my book. 😊

Vishal S.

2 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

Yeah, for some of yall neither of the traps would be in play..  I guess the big wasteland on the right would be waiting for the ones that roll through the fairway. 

I'm gonna say a bogey here will count as a success in my book. 😊

That second trap at 316 to clear from the tips I definitely will have to consider.  I can't clear that.  Maybe Matt can.  😊  Bogey is a win for me as well.

Nate

Just now, cipher said:

That second trap at 316 to clear from the tips I definitely will have to consider.  I can't clear that.  

I guess it's a handful from the black tees. So no chance of playing err..ahem..uhh...orange tees maybe? lol.

4 minutes ago, cipher said:

Maybe Matt can.  

Yeah, he will have that 80-90 shot left like you had prolly...

Vishal S.

49 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

So no chance of playing err..ahem..uhh...orange tees maybe?

There’s a fee for changing your tees. Cash only 😃

Bill

My Swing Thread

10 minutes ago, billchao said:

There’s a fee for changing your tees. Cash only 😃

Are there senior tees available?

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Note: This thread is 979 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!