IGNORED

New PURE Grip - The PURE Combo

iacas
Note: This thread is 1144 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I use 60 like Erik and hold it the grip to prevent it inflating.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 2/15/2021 at 1:28 PM, boogielicious said:

My impression is mixed. I wish it was all DTX.

They make a grip like that. It's the PURE... DTX ;-)

As I stated earlier, I don't really like the PURE Pro texture. It's not very good when they're wet. The DTX is my favorite grip. I used to be a full cord guy but I haven't had a full cord grip in years because of the DTX.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

3 hours ago, iacas said:

What PSI did you use? I’ve had grips bubble but never balloon that much because I use short small bursts at ~60 PSI. With my hand around the grip to help pull it/slide it.

My compressor is at 90-100 psi, which is what I use for my finish nailers. It's never been a problem before installing/removing Pure grips. I rewatched the installation video on the website and there is no pressure recommendation. I found an older video which recommends 60-120 psi.

I hold the grip lightly and do one quick burst which instantly loosens the grip, and then a couple more and it pops off. This time the bottom of the grip was completely stuck - I had to manually squeeze air from the ballooned upper part to loosen the bottom enough to pull it off.

I emailed Pure to see if I did something wrong, or if it was possibly a defective grip. My hypothesis is that the lower part of the grip with less taper holds onto the shaft more tightly than the upper part due to thicker rubber, and at least in this case, this caused the air to take the path of least resistance, which was unfortunately blowing up my grip like a balloon.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

• 2 weeks later...

Still haven't heard back from Pure about my grip ballooning. Sent a reminder email just in case the first was lost in the ether. No big deal though.

I've used the Pure Combos on my irons for two rounds now, and quite a bit of practice, and they have reminded me why I only play DTX on my driver/3W/hybrid. My left hand is pretty shredded on the first finger pad. I like the feel of the less tapered bottom, but the upper DTX texture does not agree with my delicate hands.

I think what I'll do is remove the Pure Pros from my old irons, and build up some tape to simulate the feel of the Pure Combo, but with an all Pure Pro texture. I may put the Pure Combos on my driver/3W/hybrid.

-Peter

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, Darkfrog said:

Still haven't heard back from Pure about my grip ballooning. Sent a reminder email just in case the first was lost in the ether. No big deal though.

What do you expect them to say?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 minute ago, iacas said:

What do you expect them to say?

I just explained what happened and asked for any tips on removing/installing so I don't deform another grip. Never had this happen to such a large extent (sometimes there is a tiny bit of stretching on the lower part of the grip, but never the top part) on any other Pure grip, so I'm hesitant to try another adjustment without changing my technique. So I'm hoping they'll say what happened was unusual, or I used too much pressure, or to hold the grip in a certain way to prevent that, or something like that.

• Thumbs Up 1

-Peter

12 hours ago, Darkfrog said:

My left hand is pretty shredded on the first finger pad. I like the feel of the less tapered bottom, but the upper DTX texture does not agree with my delicate hands.

When I practice a lot, my skin can get chapped around my index finger and thumbs. I use tape on those areas to keep it from cracking. It usually only happens in the spring for me. I use the stuff below at night too. When I work on the house, painting, spackling, etc., my hand and fingertips can crack. This stuff works well.

WH_Jar_Tube.png

O'Keeffe's Working Hands Hand Cream is a moisturizer that heals, relieves, and repairs extremely dry, cracked hands. Guaranteed relief or your money back.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
12 hours ago, Darkfrog said:

I just explained what happened and asked for any tips on removing/installing so I don't deform another grip. Never had this happen to such a large extent (sometimes there is a tiny bit of stretching on the lower part of the grip, but never the top part) on any other Pure grip, so I'm hesitant to try another adjustment without changing my technique. So I'm hoping they'll say what happened was unusual, or I used too much pressure, or to hold the grip in a certain way to prevent that, or something like that.

Put your free hand around the grip and use short bursts of air.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 hours ago, boogielicious said:

This stuff works well.

O'Keefes is nice. I have a jar in my office at work, and I used it daily when I actually worked at work. It was necessary due to the constant hand sanitizing, hand washing, and glove/double-glove wearing in cleanroom work. I should order a jar for home, or go pick it up. It would definitely help cracking/peeling on my thumbs and index fingers. Probably need to put on golfers tape for the blisters and hot spots on my left hand finger pads from the DTX texture, but I'd have to do a lot of taping.

spackling

Drywall compound definitely sucks all the moisture out of one's hands.

3 hours ago, iacas said:

Put your free hand around the grip and use short bursts of air.

This is kind of what I do. I'm going to drop my compressor to 60 psi and use microbursts and see if it helps. If it still balloons, I'll slide a cake tester under the grip to break the seal before removing and adjusting.

-Peter

When I practice a lot, my skin can get chapped around my index finger and thumbs. I use tape on those areas to keep it from cracking. It usually only happens in the spring for me. I use the stuff below at night too. When I work on the house, painting, spackling, etc., my hand and fingertips can crack. This stuff works well.

WH_Jar_Tube.png

O'Keeffe's Working Hands Hand Cream is a moisturizer that heals, relieves, and repairs extremely dry, cracked hands. Guaranteed relief or your money back.

It sits on my desk too. No better product in my opinion.

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Just tried to remove another Pure Combo. Regulated my compressor down to 60 psi, and used very short bursts. Still some ballooning on the top portion of the grip, and it took 3-4 quick bursts to get the lower portion to release. After the lower portion released, I needed to tug a tiny bit with added air pressure to get it off. This one wasn't permanently deformed from the ballooning though.

In my short experience with the Pure Combos, they seem to be unique in that more careful technique is needed for removing them or adjusting the orientation on the shaft. It appears that the thicker bottom portion of the grip clamps the shaft more tightly than the upper, and this force difference between top and bottom can cause the top portion to balloon if the right technique is not applied.

Of course, YMMV.

-Peter

• Administrator

What's underneath them? Just a bare shaft?

5 minutes ago, iacas said:

What's underneath them? Just a bare shaft?

Yeah - just a bare steel shaft. They are brand new shafts, no previous double sided tape or masking tape.

I bet a single wrap of masking tape would reduce the friction between the bare shaft and rubber grip enough to prevent this. At least it seems like the non-sticky side of masking tape is slipperier than the chromed steel.

-Peter

• Administrator

Wow. I've never had that happen. Like, ever. 🙂

I just took the Combos off five of my irons without any issues at all.

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

Wow. I've never had that happen. Like, ever. 🙂

I just took the Combos off five of my irons without any issues at all.

Me neither (with other Pure models), until now. I think with a little more careful technique it's not a problem. I was accustomed to the grips just blowing on/off quickly without having to pay too much attention, except for getting the alignment correct and stretching to the length you want. I made a short clip of removing the grip from my 4-iron, and you can see after a couple bursts there is a point where the top wants to start ballooning (4 seconds in), and if I wasn't careful with the bursts, it might have blown up (pardon the messy garage).

-Peter

10 minutes ago, Darkfrog said:

Me neither (with other Pure models), until now. I think with a little more careful technique it's not a problem. I was accustomed to the grips just blowing on/off quickly without having to pay too much attention, except for getting the alignment correct and stretching to the length you want. I made a short clip of removing the grip from my 4-iron, and you can see after a couple bursts there is a point where the top wants to start ballooning (4 seconds in), and if I wasn't careful with the bursts, it might have blown up (pardon the messy garage).

I hold it closer to the end. But I agree these are harder to get on.

Scott

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

I hold it closer to the end.

By "end", do you mean more toward the butt of the grip, or opposite direction?

-Peter

1 minute ago, Darkfrog said:

By "end", do you mean more toward the butt of the grip, or opposite direction?

Toward the open end. I grab it there and use short bursts to nudge it forward. As more of the grip gets on, I move my hand towards the butt end. But with extra tape, I have to move it in segments. This one is definitely harder to do. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 1144 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!