Jump to content
IGNORED

New PURE Grip - The PURE Combo


Recommended Posts

  • Administrator

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJHqUqZlH9F/

For some reason Instagram is screwing up lately, but click on the link and you'll see…

Quote

NEW FOR 2021 🎁 We're unwrapping something NEW for 2021! The PURE Combo is the newest edition to the PURE Grips family of golf grips. This reduced taper golf grip features the texture from the popular PURE Pro AND innovative PURE DTX to bring a combination golf grip you will definitely want to get your hands on! ️Available in PURE Black January 4, 2021

That's the text.

132027350_388790002195084_60725653321550

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
1 hour ago, iacas said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJHqUqZlH9F/

For some reason Instagram is screwing up lately, but click on the link and you'll see…

That's the text.

132027350_388790002195084_60725653321550

I wrote them last March about whether they are going to do something like this. They told me they were prototyping it. And as a funny coincidence , the rep from Pure had the same name as me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator

I’ll stick with DTX. I don’t really care much for the Pro texture.

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

And as a funny coincidence , the rep from Pure had the same name as me.

That is a funny coincidence! What are the odds that there is more than one person out there named boogielicious?

  • Funny 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

53 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

It only comes in standard size!😡

I like this idea, but I would also prefer midsized. For now I'll stick with the DTX. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
17 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I like this idea, but I would also prefer midsized. For now I'll stick with the DTX. 

My wish is to not use tape. I’ve been building up tape on the DTX midsize under the right hand to get +4 feel. It is a pain.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

30 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

My wish is to not use tape. I’ve been building up tape on the DTX midsize under the right hand to get +4 feel. It is a pain.

Are you still able to blow it on with an air compressor? Or by doing that do you need to use solvent?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
8 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Are you still able to blow it on with an air compressor? Or by doing that do you need to use solvent?

You can get it on with air, but it’s not as easy. I use masking tape to build up. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Administrator

Gorilla duct tape works well, too. Sticky in the sense that it’s not masking tape on the outside, but still smooth enough for sliding on/off.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I might order a couple of the Pure Combo grips to try out. I like the way midsize grips feel on my trail hand, but prefer regular size for my lead hand, and I don't like messing around too much with layers of tape underneath, so the new model might be a good compromise. My only concern is that I found the DTX texture a bit harsh on my gloveless hands.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • 1 month later...
  • Moderator

@Darkfrog,

Did you get any of these? I bought three to try. My impression is mixed. I wish it was all DTX. I built it up with 4 wraps to mimic midsize. One I did with two layers of Gorilla Tape and the other with 4 wraps of grip tape and one masking on top. Tough to get on. Even with four wraps it was still slightly smaller than a Golf Pride MCC+4. When I do 4 wraps plus one masking tape with the DTX midsize, I get very close to the MCC+4.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

12 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

@Darkfrog,

Did you get any of these? I bought three to try. My impression is mixed. I wish it was all DTX. I built it up with 4 wraps to mimic midsize. One I did with two layers of Gorilla Tape and the other with 4 wraps of grip tape and one masking on top. Tough to get on. Even with four wraps it was still slightly smaller than a Golf Pride MCC+4. When I do 4 wraps plus one masking tape with the DTX midsize, I get very close to the MCC+4.

I ordered 7 Pure combo grips and they're sitting in my garage waiting for my new irons (4-PW) to put them on. It's been almost 3-weeks since the fitting, so I am hoping they arrive at the fitter soon so I can go collect them. I haven't used MCC +4 for a few years now, but I think the ones I had were standard size, so I'm hopeful the Pure combos will be comparable to the MCC +4. I think I might like that they're only half DTX - the DTX texture really shredded right thumb for some reason (wimpy hands I guess).

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • 2 weeks later...

I installed the Pure Combo grips on my new irons last night. Haven't hit any balls yet, but I like how they feel in hand (static) compared to the Pure Pro grips on my old irons.

It's been awhile since I have used a MCC 4+, so I don't remember exactly how they feel, but based on my recollection, I'm not sure if the Pure Combo is quite the same. They feel just a bit skinnier, especially the upper section, but I am only basing this on distant memory. I think I might try one wrap of masking tape underneath on one club and see how it feels.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
1 hour ago, Darkfrog said:

I installed the Pure Combo grips on my new irons last night. Haven't hit any balls yet, but I like how they feel in hand (static) compared to the Pure Pro grips on my old irons.

It's been awhile since I have used a MCC 4+, so I don't remember exactly how they feel, but based on my recollection, I'm not sure if the Pure Combo is quite the same. They feel just a bit skinnier, especially the upper section, but I am only basing this on distant memory. I think I might try one wrap of masking tape underneath on one club and see how it feels.

I measured them to be a bit thinner. Remember with the MCC+4, there is one layer of grip tape, so they are about that amount thicker installed.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just now, boogielicious said:

Remember with the MCC+4, there is one layer of grip tape, so they are about that amount thicker installed.

Good point - I'm going to give the extra wrap of tape a try this afternoon

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Welp! Planned to try a wrap of masking tape with one club but...

I attempted to blow off the grip on the 7-iron and the lower part of the grip didn't release, causing the upper part of the grip to inflate like a balloon and permanently deform. I didn't try it with any other clubs. I'm going to contact Pure to see what they say.

I wonder if the thicker rubber in the lower part of the grip causes it to grip the shaft more tightly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Administrator

What PSI did you use? I’ve had grips bubble but never balloon that much because I use short small bursts at ~60 PSI. With my hand around the grip to help pull it/slide it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasfeb21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
  • Posts

    • I remember reading some old Golf Digest article quoting Trump as saying pushcarts are "a bad look". To each their own. I got little interest in places like that.   
    • Is there a pushcart stigma on high-end courses?
    • Why are you even looking at the Golf Channel? If I've got time to watch something, I've got the Masters app streaming it live (AirPlaying it to my TV). In the evening, watching the DVR of ESPN's broadcast. No time to even see what's on GC.
    • I can't golf with multi-focal lenses. The changing focus is just too much to handle when setting up to the ball. Fortunately, my distance vision is still good enough for golf so I can remove the glasses. I would recommend talking to your optometrist about the problem and have him suggest a prescription for a single vision lens that will work.
    • Poor Golf Channel. Can’t show any golf so they fill their time with so much bs and rhetorical comments. They spent 30 minutes talking about Justin Rose’s swing like it’s some phenom and amazingly unique swing. David Duval seems to think he could walk along the practice area and fix every golfer’s swing. Lol....poor bastards.
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. butchammon
      butchammon
      (60 years old)
    2. Joe P
      Joe P
      (71 years old)
    3. Lookylookitzadam
      Lookylookitzadam
      (35 years old)
    4. Muzza
      Muzza
      (36 years old)
    5. ocduffer86
      ocduffer86
      (51 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...