IGNORED

2021 British Open

nevets88
Note: This thread is 1170 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

R&A chief planning to go ahead. This still doesn't sound like a done deal. Or is it?

The 149th Open will go ahead at Royal St George's in July, with or without spectators.

R&A chief executive Martin Slumbers issued the defiant and optimistic prediction to Sky Sports News, although he "strongly believes" The Open Championship needs the fans to be in attendance.

skysports-martin-slumbers-golf_5258866.j

The 149th Open will go ahead at Royal St George's in July, with or without spectators.

• Thumbs Up 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• nevets88 changed the title to 2021 British Open
  • Administrator

I think they'll have it. Though I heard they didn't have it last year mostly because they lose money without spectators.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

8 minutes ago, iacas said:

I think they'll have it. Though I heard they didn't have it last year mostly because they lose money without spectators.

I believe what you saying regarding fans in the stands and losing money.  

I would think with the TV revenue they bring in it would not matter if there were fans in the stands. 

NBC Sports Acquires British Open in 12-Year Deal - Sports Media Watch 

This contract is for $50M per year dating back to 2006 with the contract starting in 2017 for 12 years.

- Dean

Driver: PXG GEN3 Proto X Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange
Fairway wood: 5 Wood PXG 0341 GEN2 hzrdus smoke yellow

2 Iron PXG XP Evenflow Blue

3 Utility Iron Srixon 3 20*
Irons:  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -  Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6
Putter: In search of the Holy Grail Ball: Snell MTBx

I really hope they have the British Open this year. It's my favorite tournament to watch because I really enjoy seeing the players on links style courses and everything that brings.

• Like 1

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, djake said:

I believe what you saying regarding fans in the stands and losing money.  

I would think with the TV revenue they bring in it would not matter if there were fans in the stands. 

NBC Sports Acquires British Open in 12-Year Deal - Sports Media Watch 

This contract is for $50M per year dating back to 2006 with the contract starting in 2017 for 12 years.

It's just what I've heard. Maybe the sponsors feel they lose money, I don't know. Maybe it was an excuse…? Maybe it's real. It's likely not something they want to talk about too much if it's true.

Glad they're looking to have it in 2021.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

4 minutes ago, iacas said:

It's just what I've heard. Maybe the sponsors feel they lose money, I don't know. Maybe it was an excuse…? Maybe it's real. It's likely not something they want to talk about too much if it's true.

Glad they're looking to have it in 2021.

Me to.  I really enjoy The Open.  Getting up early in the morning, having a nice cup of coffee.  Lot's of fond memories of enjoying this with my Father.  

Also, my wife really gets into The Open.  She cheers and groans, it's blast and such a wonderful time watching it with her.

- Dean

Driver: PXG GEN3 Proto X Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange
Fairway wood: 5 Wood PXG 0341 GEN2 hzrdus smoke yellow

2 Iron PXG XP Evenflow Blue

3 Utility Iron Srixon 3 20*
Irons:  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -  Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6
Putter: In search of the Holy Grail Ball: Snell MTBx

The last time the Open was held there the winner was Darren Clarke.  His initials, in roman numerals, represent 600.  That may, or may not, be important.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

3 hours ago, Darkfrog said:

I really hope they have the British Open this year. It's my favorite tournament to watch because I really enjoy seeing the players on links style courses and everything that brings.

RSG is one of the best courses in the rota. Difficult, undulating fairways, good green design and lots of dunes. A bit of an idiosyncratic type of club. The whole place is pretty as hell though. 

• Like 1

Stevie T

3 hours ago, Darkfrog said:

RSG is one of the best courses in the rota. Difficult, undulating fairways, good green design and lots of dunes. A bit of an idiosyncratic type of club. The whole place is pretty as hell though. 

• Like 1

Stevie T

More convincing statements from R&A chief.

“We are focused on staging The 149th Open at Royal St George’s from 11-18 July 2021 and on delivering a fantastic Championship for the country and the world of golf. I would like to assure you our fans as well as our players, officials, patrons, partners, contractors and suppliers that we will do all we can to make this summer’s Championship a huge success.

149th-championship-update.jpg

A message to The Open’s fans from Martin Slumbers, Chief Executive of The R&A, on The 149th Open.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Note: This thread is 1170 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!