IGNORED

Worst conditions you've played in?

slinkee
Note: This thread is 5680 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

i played one day at it was partly cloudy, horrible! man, san diego has the worst weather!

UGH!! I wish!

What's the worst weather conditions you've ever golfed in. You know, when it's just absolutely horrid outside but you have that burning desire to just get out there and golf.

League playoffs two years ago. Didn't get out of the thirties and was raining. We finished our round (9 holes) and took our scorecard in. TIED! I was already putting my equipment into my truck when someone yells out "You have to play more". I yelled back "No! I forfeit!" They wouldn't let that slide. Go back out and I eagle the first hole to win. I wanted that sh*t over with!! lol

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a special day out for a few of the guys I booked (and payed for) a round at Princes Golf club (venue of the Open championship in the 30's won by Gene Sarazen)
Links golf at its very worse. gale force 8 and raining to boot. Drives into the wind diddnt even reach the fairway,anything more than a seven iron came back over your head! Great fun I dont think,as one of my friends said "you can poke your links golf up your.........."you know the rest ,

In The Bag
Mizuno MX 560 Driver
Taylor made 3 wood
Mizuno HIFLI 21*
Mizuno MX 25's 4-pwMizuno MX series wedges 50, 56*/11 & 60*Bettinardi C02 putter4 bottles of pilsner,2 packs cigars

yesterday, rain, windy degree dropped from around 55 to about 45 within a half hour, in khaki shorts and short sleeve polo no rain suit no jacket no nothing. I froze my teets off and shot like crap my neck and shoulders still hurt. I vowed then to never be ill prepared again.

whats in my bag,

Driver- 975D 7.5*
3 wood- 975F 13*
Irons- 2-pw Acushnet Tungsten AC-108'swedges-58* 64*putter-bag- staff I know its huge, but I dig it " I am McLovin"

Played Monarch Beach in So Orange County once during a Santa Ana wind that had gusts to 60mph. Hit some 250 yd 7 irons and some 130 yd 3 irons. At least it was comped as that place is 150.00 per round

What I play:
Driver: FTi Tour LCG Matrix Xcon 6
3 Wood: Sonartac SS03 *14
Hybrid: FT Hybrid *18
Hybrid: Rescue Mid 22*Irons: 5-PW i10, Project X 5.5Wedges 52, 56, 60Putter:i Black #9Ball: Tour ix

I played one winter in under 30 degree temps. WOW, holy crap it was cold. Luckily, this golf course provides carts with covers and kerosene heaters. As long as we were in the cart, we were okay.

i played a week ago in over 40 mph gusts of winds. i hit a wedge that was actually coming back towards me on the third hole. alas, i called it quits after 5.

driver- R580XD 9.5*
3 wood- m/speed
hybrid- cft ti 4h
irons- fp 4-gap
wedges- 54* and RAC satin 56* 12 bounceputter- 1/2 Craz-Eballs- DT Carry, e5, anything found thats is good shapeshoes-adidashome course - nothing - uh oh. perhaps pleasant view againschool...

I have never played in conditions warranted to be bad. Everyday on the course is a day not spent at work. Besides if im not on the course there is the possibility of being out in 40kt winds 15 ft seas and 0 visibility. I'll take the course anyday!!!

What's in my bag?
Driver Rapture 9.0* Oban Devotion 75G.
5 wood 904F
Hybrid Rapture 21*
Irons MP-60'SWedges Vokey SM 58 oil can. 54* TOUR-W, Solus 51*Putter Squareback You have to go out, but you don't have to come back.

But the worst conditions I can remember were at the worlds oldest sand course in Bahrain. 120*F no cloud cover 90%humidity and you have to wear long pants if you are a guest! Walking only by the way.

What's in my bag?
Driver Rapture 9.0* Oban Devotion 75G.
5 wood 904F
Hybrid Rapture 21*
Irons MP-60'SWedges Vokey SM 58 oil can. 54* TOUR-W, Solus 51*Putter Squareback You have to go out, but you don't have to come back.

Two occasions I can recall:

1. Played in a scramble where it was raining so hard that there were actual rivers flowing on the greens. The cups were overflowing with water. That was nuts.

2. Played on a day where it was so windy, I flushed a maxed out 3-iron on a 130 yard par three and my ball came up about 20 yards short of the green. Normal maxed out three iron goes approx 230 yards. That was crazy wind.

Driver: R7 425 TP w/ stock Fujikura stiff shaft
Hybrid: 16 degree baffler pro with stiff Fujikura Speeder shaft
Irons: X-20 tour 3-PW w/ 6.0 Project X shafts
52 degree wedge: MR w/ Royal Spinner shaft
56 degree wedge: MR w/ Royal Spinner shaft60 degree wedge: MR w/ Royal Spinner shaftPutter:...

Two occasions I can recall:

I think you're right but the R&A; rules talk about relief from STANDING water, not rivers.

Difficult call.
2. Played on a day where it was so windy, I flushed a maxed out 3-iron on a 130 yard par three and my ball came up about 20 yards short of the green. Normal maxed out three iron goes approx 230 yards. That was crazy wind.

You think that was tough? Huh.

I played an 'outing' (society day, for the Euros) on the Nicklaus course in S Wales. Standard par 4, 430 yards. Tee shot over water. Made it, ball never more than 25 feet off the ground. Smashing. Second shot: 3-wood, which I absolutely creamed. No more than 6' off the turf, it ran and ran up the hill. Beauty. And for my third shot, I was 130 yards from the green, with a 3-wood in my hands, thinking "I'm not going to get there". How right I was; hit it absolutely flush, got about 10' in the air and finished about 6' from the green. It was probably the finest bogey I've ever made. Following day: wind had turned round 180 degrees. Drive, 7-iron, went through the green. A very disappointing bogey 5. Golf, eh? why do we do it?

And what's more...

Rain was falling in sheets. Threadbare sheets, but sheets nonetheless.

But that was nothing compared to the Club's April Medal. 25mph wind, gusting to 40. Shade temperaure: between 0 and minus 2(Celsius: 32-29 Fahrenheit). Sleet and freezing rain stinging like a swarm of Arctic bees that were rather annoyed you'd got close to their store of frozen honey. Winning score on the day: net 73. I shot net 84 and came 16th (of 76)(how mad can you get? 76 people actually completed their rounds in those conditions...).

• 4 weeks later...
I have an interesting situation that has arisen in our league. My wife and I were not able to play last night. We had our younger son's Cub Scout banquet. Our leagu allows for make up rounds to be played in advance and up to the Monday night following the scheduled (Wednesday) night that was missed. Last night it was cold, windy and wet. There was a persistant drizzle and the temps were in the high 40's. The scores high. Should I feel bad that I am going to be playing on Sunday afternoon when it is going to be 74 and sunny? It is clearly an advantage, but is it unfair? The same thing could have happened in reverse. It could have been beautiful last night and then rained for 5 straight days, forcing me to play in bad weather or essentially forefit. I was not looking at the weather report when I decided to skip the round. In fact, the date for the banquet was set in September.
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

Living in the Columbia Gorge in Oregon, and being a hard-core golf addict, I have played in some STUPID weather conditions.

Frozen greens: check
Sideways winds with driving rain: check
Hail: check
snowing: check
wind chill in the teens(Fahrenheit): check
110 degrees: check
40+ mph winds: check

Golf is not for the weak of heart in this region.

Golfunit

In the Bag:

Driver: FT-5 10° Speeder 652 Stiff4-Wood: Taylor Made V-Steel Regular 14.5ºHybrids: Taylor Made Mid 19º and 22ºIrons 4-W MP-60 DG S300Wedges: MP-T 51°06 and 56°10Putter: Red-X

I've played in some ridiculous conditions. 40-something degrees, heavy wind, rain, etc... the kind of conditions where my buddy and I would be literally the only people on the course.

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

St Andrews New, June, 40 mph wind and rain.

Par-3 hole, 185 yards into the wind, 3 single figure players (one a +2) we all hit driver, we were all short.

----------------------------------
909D3 10.5 Matrix Code 6
909F2 15.5 and 18.5 Whiteboard
585H Ozik Altus
MP68 4-P, KBS ZTP 52. 56, 60 KBS DASS Luke DonaldHome club: http://www.bearwoodlakes.co.uk/hm/hm.aspx

Note: This thread is 5680 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!